Handicapped Denali?

SeaLeg2010

I am taking my family on the Coral Princess from Vancouver to Whittier beginning July 4. They want to do the Denali two-night extension. I don't know whether or not to go with them. I am somewhat handicapped with a prosthetic leg. I can walk, but not too quickly. I can climb in and out of buses, but I can't handle slopes or rough surfaces very well. I would appreciate advice from anyone who has been on a Denali post-cruise tour. Are there things I could do? Or would I just have to stay in the hotels while they are out and about?

You need to check the cruise tour details, but you probably have the tundra wilderness tour or other shuttle bus into park. You should be able to participate on this if someone let's you hang on to the for quick potty breaks. I do this with my sister who has a mobility issue. Make sure you let princess know that you need first floor hotel room and close to main lodge. Denali is great and sounds doable for you.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Just to slightly expand on Katrina's post: The basic model for the hotel complexes in the Denali area are of two story buildings for the hotel rooms, and, at least the ones we've stayed in, those hotel room buildings don't have elevators. But the Denali Princess has paved pathways and a golf-cart style shuttle to provide assistance. The main building is two floor, but does have an elevator.

The Denali NP visitor center, which has interesting natural history displays, has an elevator. And that area of the NPS campus also has paved walkways so you can easily walk over to the book shop and the Morino Grill.

The Tundra Wilderness Tours are handicapped accessible. They even have a couple of buses that can take wheelchairs. The driver normally saves a couple of seats up front for the mobility challenged so you also get great seats! There is no hiking on the TWT although you will get out at rest stops. You probably have the shorter Natural History tour as part of your package but you can opt to upgrade to the TWT.

The park campus is reached by shuttle buses from the hotel. The Visitor's Center is right next to the parking lot. The dog sled tours are a little further walk. I believe there are also shuttles to the Salmon Bake and the Brewery in the evening if you want to get out of the hotel for a meal. I was there last year with a bad hip and using a cane and got around no problem.