New Cruise Ship Terminal

Skyrules

Article about the new cruise terminal in today's Courier Mail. Doens't mention an opening date. It says 46 ships have booked to berth at the terminal in the next year and that currently about 29 ships a year visit Brisbane, but I suspect that they are actually counting each indvidual visit by Pacific Star in that figure. There certainly hasn't been 29 different ships come to Brisbane in the last year.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,20000897-3102,00.html

Article about the new cruise terminal in today's Courier Mail. Doens't mention an opening date. It says 46 ships have booked to berth at the terminal in the next year and that currently about 29 ships a year visit Brisbane, but I suspect that they are actually counting each indvidual visit by Pacific Star in that figure. There certainly hasn't been 29 different ships come to Brisbane in the last year.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,20000897-3102,00.html

I rang P&O this afternoon, they told me that Pac Star will be departing from the new terminal from Aug 19. We sail on Sep 9 (our tickets still show Pinkenba Wharf) but they say the tickets just have not been amended yet.

Just wondering........

When the bigger ships, like Oriana and Aurora call at Brisbane ,will they use the new terminal, or will they still have to dock at Fishermans Island?

The only limiting factor is height - whether or not they can fit under the Gateway bridge. In all other aspects the new terminal will be able to accomodate the ships. I'll do some research and see what I can find out about the ships tha commonly call at Brisbane.

Kym

Just wondering........

When the bigger ships, like Oriana and Aurora call at Brisbane ,will they use the new terminal, or will they still have to dock at Fishermans Island?

The navigable clearance of the Gateway Bridge is 55m - so anything taller than that wíll have to continue to use Fisherman Island. Also, as there is only facility for one ship at the cruise passenger terminal, if there are two ships scheduled to call at Brisbane on the same day - one will have to use Fisherman's Island. This happened the last time Oriana was in Brisbane, Pacific Star was also in and was using the temporary facilities at Pinkenba, so Oriana had to berth at Fishermans's Island.

As far as I can work out, beacuse height details are a bit hard to come by, of the ships scheduled to visit Brisbane over the next 12 months only Sapphire Princess will be too tall to fit under the Gateway Bridge and come up to Hamilton.

The ships scheduled for Brisbane over the next 12 months are;

Pacific Star

Pacific Sun

Pacific Princess

The World

Sapphire Princess

MV C. Columbus

Oriana

Astor

QE2

Aurora

Statendam

I rang P&O this afternoon, they told me that Pac Star will be departing from the new terminal from Aug 19. We sail on Sep 9 (our tickets still show Pinkenba Wharf) but they say the tickets just have not been amended yet.

Im On the Star departing 29th Aug! My ticket of course shows pinkenba. I guess we get to use the new terminal. I wonder when they are going to let us know and if the boarding proceedure will change - eg if we still have to go to the transit centre?:confused:

Im On the Star departing 29th Aug! My ticket of course shows pinkenba. I guess we get to use the new terminal. I wonder when they are going to let us know and if the boarding proceedure will change - eg if we still have to go to the transit centre?:confused:

If you are going from Hamilton you definetly won't have to go to Roma St Transit Centre. The only reason that process was in place was because you couldn't get to the temporary terminal at Pinkenba under your own steam due to security issues.

Once the new terminal is open the use of Roma St will stop and passengers will have to make their own way to Hamilton, much the same as you have to make your own way to Darling Harbour in Sydney or Station Pier in Melbourne (or at least you did for the brief period that a cruise ship operated out of Melbourne).

Once the new terminal is open the use of Roma St will stop and passengers will have to make their own way to Hamilton, much the same as you have to make your own way to Darling Harbour in Sydney or Station Pier in Melbourne (or at least you did for the brief period that a cruise ship operated out of Melbourne).

I hope P&O let us all know if we have to go to the new terminal. It will be very annoying to turn up at the transit centre only to be told to make our way to the terminal, considering I will have to pass the damn thing to get to the transit centre.

Trevor.

I hope P&O let us all know if we have to go to the new terminal. It will be very annoying to turn up at the transit centre only to be told to make our way to the terminal, considering I will have to pass the damn thing to get to the transit centre.

Trevor.

I'd be getting on the phone and checking with them Trevor. Everything I've heard points to the new terminal being used for the first time on the 19th of August - which is the day you're going isn't it?

Kym

I'd be getting on the phone and checking with them Trevor. Everything I've heard points to the new terminal being used for the first time on the 19th of August - which is the day you're going isn't it?

Kym

Yeah, that's the day. I called P&O a couple of weeks ago and they said they had no idea when it will be in operation and that will let everyone know if there's a change. For some reason though, I just don't trust them.

Trevor.

I'm a Senior Consultant for Harvey World Travel, and we've been hammering P&O for information about the 19th of August Departure and beyond, but they keep on advising us they know nothing. I think they are just waiting for the official go-ahead.

Clients would prefer to know sooner rather than later.

I'm a Senior Consultant for Harvey World Travel, and we've been hammering P&O for information about the 19th of August Departure and beyond, but they keep on advising us they know nothing. I think they are just waiting for the official go-ahead.

Clients would prefer to know sooner rather than later.

Too right. I'm departing on the 19th and just had my agent call P&O, asking where we will depart from. They still claim to know nothing and advised me to call back within 2 days of sailing. Under no circumstances should I have to be chasing them up on this matter. Besides, I don't have the time to be chasing them. If they are unsure, they should just make the decision to continue with transfers from the transit centre, even if it is to the new terminal, until they are sure of what's happening.

Trevor.

The way things were explained to me last week were that as P&O were not 100% sure that the Hamilton Cruise Terminal would be ready for the first Pacific Star Cruise after returning from New Zealand - That they had booked Pinkenba Wharf and would cruise from there even if the Hamilton Terminal was ready or not ? - This made sense to me as they have to be able to dock somewhere and if Hamilton was not ready and they did not have Pinkenba booked - there would be problems ( i don't know how hard or what the cost would be to cancel Pinkenba and sail from Hamilton? )

Wharf Bookings at Hamilton show the 19th of August as - Existing Request (unconfirmed) and the 29th of August as - Existing Booking (unavailable)

I don't know if this link will work (if it does - Click the left or right arrows above the calendar and the Bookings should show up) >> http://www.brisbanecruiseterminal.com.au/content/fetchFiles/cruise/sel.php/120/

Peter & Cheryl

I have just booked accomodation near the new terminal!! Oh well, you win some, you loose some!:o

Are you staying in one of the motels on Kingsford Smith Drive?? Maybe you could try and flag down one of the buses operating from Roma St to Pinkenba as they pass by! It might only cause a small security alert if you get on the bus and when it gets to Pinkenba there are more people counted off the bus than were counted on at Roma St!

We picked up our Tickets today for the 16th of September Cruise and they still say Pinkenba - We hope that the buses take us from Roma street to the New Cruise Terminal and not Pinkenba ????

Peter & Cheryl

There was an article in one of the free weekly newspapers today (City News in Brisbane) about the new passenger terminal.....

The international cruise terminal at Hamilton will be complete and retailers and restaurants will be open to host the hundreds of passengers on board Pacific Sky (sic) which arrives on August 29.

Billed as a 'new international landmark' for Brisbane, Portside Wharf developer Multiplex tested customs facilities last week, including it's sniffer dogs.

"There is now a real sense of excitement and expecation in the lead up to the offical launch on August 29 when our first cruise ship docks", Mr Bulloch, Director of Multiplex Developments Australia, said.

============================

Unless there's something P&O aren't telling us - I think that must mean Pacific Star, on it's return from it's first Brisbane cruise for the new season (the one several cruise critic family members are going on).

I would say anyone cruising from Brisbane in the near future needs to keep on P&O's back to find out what's going on. I can't see them paying money to use the facilities at Roma St and run buses out to Hamilton once it's open with it's drop off and parking areas, etc.

Kym

Archived