RSSC vs. Oceania

ElleninNY

Is there anyone out there who has also sailed on Radisson ships? We are devoted to the line, having sailed on the PG, Mariner, and Voyager, but their itineraries are limited. Oceania seems to have unique itineraries but I am concerned that it may not be quite the quality we got from Radisson. This is what is important to us:

1. Open seating and a choice of dining venues.

2. We loved the country club casual atmosphere on the PG and Mariner in Alaska. On the Voyager inthe Baltics, there was a formal night and my husband kicked and screamed for weeks.

3. The all-inclusive policy and the no-tipping policy, which they really mean.

Can anyone comment on this regarding Oceania?

Many thanks for your wisdom.

Also, we have always taken a little bit larger suite, not the basic. We need a balcony, or at least something that opens. with a minimum size of 300 square feet, especially if I get that day at sea that I crave!

Hi Ellen

We are also Radisson fans, having been on every ship except the Voyager, and on the Navigator many times. In our opinion, they are the best on the seas, with Oceania a close second. We personally like everything included, but know darn well we're paying for it upfront. With Oceania there is also an open seating, which we love; we've met great "new friends." And the country club atmosphere is fine; however, there are occassions we go on other lines where a formal code doesn't bother me at all. As far as all-inclusive, no. You will pay for wine and gratuities; however, price-wise there is no comparison. Radisson is more expensive. We also like larger cabins (I hate that word!) for no reason other than extra room. I agree with you on size. I think the food is comparable on both lines. And they both have alternative restaurants at no additional charge. That's a big plus. If you like Radisson, you will definitely like Oceania. Happy sailing!!!

Esther

Many thanks, Esther, for your response. I can deal with the tipping and paying for wine. My husband and I drink very little and always bring home the three bottles that Radisson gives us. I am probably paying for more than I am consuming so maybe this is a better way to go. What we didn't want was the constant announcements, hawking bingo, etc., and all the nickel and diming. We are not great gourmets, either, so free sevruga caviar is lost on us!

Happy sailing to you as well!

you will like Oceania I'm sure...................a good blend of sea days and interesting ports.......try to book your own tours, however, the line falls short in this department.

Guest Jancruz

Hi Elin,

You would want to book the Penthouse on Oceania (322 square feet)..there are a great many Radisson cruisers that have been switching over to Oceania with delight..if you need any more questions answered..dont hesitate to post, I have been on 10 Oceania cruises..and go again in January..(would be sooner but my husband was ill)

Jan:)

You may also want to ask the question on the Yahoo Oceania board also

Many thanks, Esther, for your response. I can deal with the tipping and paying for wine. My husband and I drink very little and always bring home the three bottles that Radisson gives us. I am probably paying for more than I am consuming so maybe this is a better way to go. What we didn't want was the constant announcements, hawking bingo, etc., and all the nickel and diming. We are not great gourmets, either, so free sevruga caviar is lost on us!

Happy sailing to you as well!

There was no hawking announcements. Yea!!! One thing we loved doing was having a drink at 6:15 PM while listening to a wonderful string quartet and then going for dinner. So relaxing. Obviously we love the line as we're going again in November and next March! Tell me about the 3 bottles!!! I could open a liquor store here. Actually, we've even left them behind on occassion.

Esther

We recently sailed our first Oceania (Insignia), a few months after our first RSSC (Navigator). Both were terrific, but our personal choice would have to go to Oceania. We found the cuisine on Oceania to be more varied, and the specialty restaurants (Polo Grill and Toscana) were superior to RSSC's offerings. Included wine was not a particular factor, and we discovered some wonderful wines by attending Oceania's wine tastings (the first was conducted by the president of the American Somellier Association!). The one area that the Navigator blew away the Insignia was our stateroom - Navigator's was much larger with a huge walk-in closet and larger veranda. If cabin size is a major issue, then the Penthouse on Insignia would be the preferred option. The final area of comparison was the general feeling of "family" aboard the Insignia. We've never encountered a crew - from the Captain down to the guy who wipes down the balcony railings - who were more gracious, accommodating, and eager to please.

Mike

As was already mentioned you would need to get a penthouse cabin ( or higher) to match the cabin size on Radisson. The bathrooms on O are smaller and have showers only in rooms below penthouse level.

The closet space is comparable ( but no big walkin closets as on Mariner).

Oceania itineraries are better , as the cruises are longer .

We love to "dress up" but hubbys tux can stay in the closet at home. ;-)

You will like Oceania!

There is a great review on Luxury cruise talk board from a devoted Radisson cruiser who just returned from their first Oceania cruise.

There is a great review on Luxury cruise talk board from a devoted Radisson cruiser who just returned from their first Oceania cruise.

Hey Claudia,

I can't find a "Luxury cruise talk board"

Would you mind pointing me there?

Thanks

Rick

Hey Claudia,

Thanks

Rick

Hey Claudia,

Thanks

Rick

Please advise how the line falls short in the tour department. We're on the Insignia from

Barcelona to Istanbul. Were you on this tour? If so, which land tours do you advise against, and why? Thanks so much. LV Tapper

Hey Claudia,

Thanks

Rick

For some "unknown" reason I can't link you to the board on this board..

so if you go to your search and put in luxury cruise talk I think you will find it

After you sign up the post will be under heading Cruise Talk

then look for the "Oceania Regatta review"

Liz,

Sorry to be a pain but what you suggested is not working. I'll tell you what I did and maybe you can tell me what I did wrong: I went to cruisecritic.com, clicked on luxury - dead end. no article like that. When I tried to search, putting in luxury cruise talk, as you suggested, there was nothing as well.Can you try to tell me specifically how you got there?

In addition, there has been mention of going to Yahoo to post the question. I found the Yahoo board on Oceania but when I try to add a topic, it says only an administrator can do that. This is frustrating!

Cruise Critic won't let you put a web address in. Use google and do the search. Just put the three words: Luxury Cruise Talk. All you have to do with what I just put down is add the w's and the dot com.

Liz,

Sorry to be a pain but what you suggested is not working. I'll tell you what I did and maybe you can tell me what I did wrong: I went to cruisecritic.com, clicked on luxury - dead end. no article like that. When I tried to search, putting in luxury cruise talk, as you suggested, there was nothing as well.Can you try to tell me specifically how you got there?

In addition, there has been mention of going to Yahoo to post the question. I found the Yahoo board on Oceania but when I try to add a topic, it says only an administrator can do that. This is frustrating!

You need to register at the Yahoo board ( sign in)... after you do that to add a topic click on "post" ;_0

Really? On the first page is a review of the Oceania Regatta. Many people on that thread said they were interested in trying the Oceania ships too.

Did they say something to you? I don't understand.

Ellen- What part am I not understanding? You had already posted on LCT and asked me for the link? I was surprised when I checked in and saw your post. Please ignore my email. What was it you wanted?

Archived