Hapag Lloyd's Europa

English Voyager

Have not sailed 'Europa', but just returned from her sister ship 'Hanseatic.' I will be posting a full review, but for now let me say that it was the best cruise I have ever been on. However, be warned that it was rather formal (and I understand 'Europa' is even more so), and, if you do not speak German you may be a bit lonely. I was on a bi-lingual cruise which helped a bit.

Food and service are superlative.

Many thanks for your comments.

I am currently in contact with Hapag Lloyd(in english!),and find them extremely helpful.

With their web-site now in english,perhaps they intend to market their cruises to a wider(non german speaking) market.

I look forward to your review on the Hanseatic.

Yes, I believe H-L does intend to expand their market to English speaking passengers. The trip we were on, on the 'Hanseatic', was marketed as bi-lingual, which meant that all written materials, menus, announcements, etc., were translated into English. All staff spoke good to excellent English. If you travel on a non bi-lingual cruise, be aware that everything will be in German -- no surprise -- it is a German ship!

We found the general atmosphere to be a bit stiff, a bit "Germanic" if you will, with little to no intermingling of the various nationalities. During our trip there were 3 French passengers who I never saw speak to another passenger, or be spoken to. Perhaps this was a language problem...

It has been my experience that Germans tend to be somewhat reserved,but generally respond well if one makes the first approach.

Did you,or the other english speaking passengers,find that the german speaking passengers were non responsive to attempts to communicate?

Were port lectures repeated in english?

It has been my experience that Germans tend to be somewhat reserved, but generally respond well if one makes the first approach. Did you,or the other english speaking passengers,find that the german speaking passengers were non responsive to attempts to communicate? Were port lectures repeated in english?

I sailed on Europa a few months ago and you can read my assessment here http://*****.com/55eo9

Although it was a bi-lingual sailing, lectures were not repeated in English. All announcements were in German only (as was the muster drill). I lived in Germany as a teenager, but have forgotten most of my conversational German; however, when I greeted fellow passengers in German, they invariably responded in English. I felt quite comfortable. All written materials were in available in English and staff members went the extra mile to make Americans at home. Service and meals were exceptional.

Hope that helps.

I had the joy of sailing on the MS Deutschland out of Kiel a couple of years ago and as an American who does not speak German....I was treated royally. I thought the service, food and overall experience was fantastic. The Europa looks wonderful and I have just sent for the brochure.......I am going to see if she does any warm weather voyages in 2006.......hope she does.

Happy Cruising to all.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived