Forecasted 20 to 30 mph winds on upcoming cruise

Cece09

We will be heading to cozumel, Belize and Roatan next Sunday the 25th. I noticed in the extended forecast it’s predicting strong winds for several days straight for Roatan. Predicted 25 to 30 mph .

Is this anything to be concerned about? Possibility of missing ports or being miserable on board due to bad wind and waves? Anyone have any experience with this kind of wind on a ship?

This will be my 5th cruise and so far we’ve been pretty lucky.

Thanks in advance!

Google is your friend:

https://www.worldweatheronline.com/lang/en-us/roatan-weather-averages/islas-de-la-bahia/hn.aspx

Looks like the average wind speed from Jan '17 through Sep '17 was 15+ MPH with average gusts over 20+ MPH. I don't remember reading about NCL missing the port because of this. I am not a doom a gloom type so I am hoping we will be in Roatan on Tuesday on the Getaway. Really looking forward to this port.

I was actually just reading about this . It looks like it’s very common for it to be windy in Roatan this time of year .

Hopefully we will still make the port.

I’ve been there , but my children haven’t and I am really looking forward to taking them!

I am not sure how windy it was for us last week (Saturday) at Roatan, but it was windy and we still anchored and tendered in. It did slow down the tendering process a bit so it took us awhile to get off (we were at port with another ship which got to dock). Our snorkel trip near Little French Key still happened--the shallow water snorkeling was fine, but the waves were huge when we went to deeper water. I probably would've preferred to skip that part.

Our departure and sailing from Roatan that night was VERY choppy. Definitely the rockiest I've ever experienced on my two cruises. Surprisingly I didn't really feel sick that night, just laid down for awhile before dinner. I am, however, on day 5 of post-cruise vertigo, so that night may have affected me on this end, unfortunately!

I am not sure how windy it was for us last week (Saturday) at Roatan, but it was windy and we still anchored and tendered in. It did slow down the tendering process a bit so it took us awhile to get off (we were at port with another ship which got to dock). Our snorkel trip near Little French Key still happened--the shallow water snorkeling was fine, but the waves were huge when we went to deeper water. I probably would've preferred to skip that part.

Our departure and sailing from Roatan that night was VERY choppy. Definitely the rockiest I've ever experienced on my two cruises. Surprisingly I didn't really feel sick that night, just laid down for awhile before dinner. I am, however, on day 5 of post-cruise vertigo, so that night may have affected me on this end, unfortunately!

Last time we were at Roatan it wasn’t a tender port . Did you guys dock at Mahogany Bay?

That is good to know you were still able to make it.

I’ve been looking and the winds look terrible 30 mph for the next couple of weeks.

Maybe that’s common there this time of year?

The last two cruises I have went on I have felt terrible when we got home! Very dizzy. My husband did also.

The two we went on years ago never bothered us. Maybe it’s something that gets worse the older we get 😂

Last time we were at Roatan it wasn’t a tender port . Did you guys dock at Mahogany Bay?

I’ve been looking and the winds look terrible 30 mph for the next couple of weeks.

The last two cruises I have went on I have felt terrible when we got home! Very dizzy. My husband did also.

The two we went on years ago never bothered us. Maybe it’s something that gets worse the older we get 😂

We were in Roatan earlier this month at Coxen Hole and one of the NCL ships was tendering due to docking berths being at full capacity.

I believe I have read in the past that Carnival has had to cancel docking at Mahogany Bay if winds are really high because they can’t navigate the channel. If there are berths available at Coxen Hole, occasionally they have used those as an alternative.

We were at Coxen Hole.

Were you on the Jade? Weather underground said the wind was 14 to 26 mph.