Alamo Port Canaveral

MelJC4

Has anybody used Alamo rental cars at Port Canaveral recently? Last time we used them (Aug 2016) they had moved to a new location, but the shuttle service was atrocious! We had to wait in the rental depot for hours before they would take us to the port, and it was a free-for-all mad dash to the shuttle bus...lots of pushing and shoving as they had no queuing system. We're cruising next year and don't really want to encounter the same issues. TIA.(y)

Most Port Canaveral rental car locations are swamped on turnaround days. The shuttles are usually packed and it doesn’t help when passengers cut the lines . Pack your patience when you go there. To save time I sometimes use a taxi instead of using the shuttles. If I’m not in a hurry and only traveling down to my condo in Hallandale Beach after the cruise I usually will wait for the shuttle and on one occasion after renting from Budget there shuttles were so busy that a Hertz shuttle driver offered to take us to the Budget office because he had room in his shuttle and was only waiting for two Hertz customers. He received a nice tip for his kindness and stated he helped out like this almost every weekend.

Most Port Canaveral rental car locations are swamped on turnaround days.

Welllll ... maybe ...... and if one is swamped they are ALL swamped.

What you need to check on is the number of ships turning around on the day in question. Some days there is ONE .... and unless there is a statistical anomaly that found ALL renters using ONE agency, the load is easy handled by each office.

AND THEN there are the days with 6 ships in ...... it does not require a degree in math to compute the numbers here. And add to the general chaos: everyone wants to either get ON first, or get OFF first

The Port Canaveral schedule (tentative) thru March is here: https://www.portcanaveral.com/PortCanaveral/media/Cruise-Assets/FY2018/FY-2018-Cruise-Schedule.pdf

With this you can manage your expectations

p.s. b4 anyone blames the PC offices for small size, small staff or anything else .... Not long ago I needed a rental to be picked up around noon on Sunday at Ft Lauderdale International Airport ... which is practically walking distance to the cruise port if you are not familiar. It WAS a busy cruise day. The aiport counter had at LEAST 10 agents working. I was in line for over an hour.

One hint .... most rental agencies will let you sign up for a 'member program' which often lets you SKIP the lines ....... worth looking in to????

• 1 year later...

We are using Alamo for our upcoming cruise in July, I see a number of people saying to take a taxi from the car drop off point to the terminal. Will there be taxis around or do you need to book one? If I need to book how do I do that? Uber?