Tour and Beach

1stime cruiser

Cozumel is among the safest and easiest islands to do on your own. There will be a fare board near the taxi line for your pier with current fares posted to most of the popular beach clubs, as well as an hourly rate for island tours. Rate was about $35-40/hour the last time I checked/remember.

Assuming you can speak some Spanish, most of the drivers can speak some English, I would do some homework and know what you want to see and where you want to go. You'll likely need at least 3 hours to see town, the east side, etc. There are some small Mayan ruins at San Gervasio - if you stop there you'll only need about 30+ minutes and some bug spray. :( For a drop off point at the end of the tour I would suggest a pay as you go beach club like Paradise Beach or the Money Bar.

Tours Plaza or Black Hat tours is another option besides a taxi, and the driver is likely to speak better English than the typical cab driver. Good luck with your planning! ;)

We used the service Hiring a Driver for the Day a few years ago and had a great time. Alberto, our driver, spoke excellent English and took us all over the island. We also stopped at Palancar Beach for a few hours and he waited there, chatting with the other drivers. It may have cost a little more than a taxi but we had a great time.