Rainy Days in Tahiti

We are leaving for a 10 cruise on the PG and wondered if there is heavy rain what does the chip provide the passengers since most of the excursions will probably be cancelled. Thanks.

I looked at the 10 day forward weather prediction and it looks like there will be more than light showers during our cruise.

They do provide umbrellas, by the way. I remember them being fairly large ones, so if you intend to be out and about you might want to pack a little folding one (good for the sun too.)

I wouldn't worry about it raining so badly they would have to cancel all excursions, but if it happens, I'm sure they'll entertain you somehow, with music, dance, lectures, special events.

Let's hope the weather turns out fine--please report back and tell us how it was!

It did rain for several days of our cruise. It's like having a sea day when it rains. Many people choose to stay onboard and there are more crafts with the Les Gauguins, some people nap, cocktails are a big hit, etc. We were just happy that we escaped to the beauty of the French Polynesia as it is such an intoxicating destination. And this is not an exaggeration. Everyone who has ever sailed on the PG will tell you the same thing.

:eek: Yes, cruisedramer, I think its going to rain. I expected that, as Dec is the rainiest month, but I'm hoping it doesn't rain all day. A shower every day is fine, as long as it doesn't last for hours and hours, like a typhoon!

We have snorkling excursions booked, and rain and cloudy skies are definitely bad news for those kinds of activities - we are definitely hoping for sun but, we'll just have to go with the flow - so to speak.

The islands and tradewinds are wonderful (please, no typhoons) , so we will be enjoying ourselves in any case.....please lets hope for calm seas! Rain, okay, rocky-rolley, no!

We were on Moorea once in February, and a gale came up during the night that howled through our grass-roofed bungalow, for hours - when the sun came up, we were sure we would find ourselves marooned in the middle of the ocean!. Fortunately, we were still in the same spot, intact, but it sounded and felt like nothing we had experienced before.....

Glenda

I know it will be wonderful, no matter what. We are SOOOOOOOOO excited. We will cancel out of our hikes(at least me) if there is heavy rain but the sailing and snorkeling who knows.

Glenda, I look forward to meeting you, your husband and daughters on the cruise.

It rained one afternoon while we were on a hiking excursion, but it wasn't hard rain, more shower like and didn't last long. Now if we had been on the hike to the waterfalls on Raiatea, that would probably have been cancelled as it is slick and muddy in the best of conditions. I do know that they cancel that particular hike if the trail is TOO muddy (it is always muddy).

I took my hiking shoes (not boots)--the ones that look like athletic shoes but with better tread, and I was really glad I did. There were a couple of people who had regular hiking boots, but I didn't want to take up that much room in luggage, and I have found that I only wear those these days when I need them for warmth. The hiking shoes are really my favorites. Some people had Tevas, but you would want the really good kind with traction. Regular tennis shoes would be ruined and wouldn't be adequate. It is very slippery. You have to go up several ropes on muddy hills. It was no problem for my husband, son and I, but there were a lot of people who should not have gone--a 9 yr old girl with no hiking experience, for instance. She was totally freaked out about the ropes and had to be carried by one of the guides.

This is a hike for very fit people with previous hiking experience. My family and another guy who was an ex-Army ranger and his wife were the most experienced hikers, and my husband and the Army guy ended up helping a lot of people up and down on the rope parts.

All that said, it is a beautiful hike and very different. The Trails of the Ancients hike is very easy, and it is educational as well. I wore my hiking shoes on it too, but a lot of people wore just sandals and were ok. It is the one where it rained on us--not a problem.

Just looked at the long-term forecast for Tahiti and Bora Bora and it doesn't look great. But you never know, it could be intermittent. Sunny is a mixed blessing btw, because the sun is so strong--partly cloudy is perfect. Good luck with your cruise--I'm going to be there a year from now, so I'm paying close attention to this!

Archived