Secrets of the Noordam?

missdaisy

We were on the Noordam in 2010 for a Western Mediterranean cruise. The Noordam is beautiful with lots of lovely artwork, and a very nice Library.

We enjoyed the Crow's Nest, especially for Happy Hour when the drinks were discounted.

If you are fortunate enough to be sailing with Captain Hans Mateboer, and if he is still doing the Q & A session, I would recommend you attend.

We enjoyed that very much. He is very personable and interesting. He shared about his maritime and rescue experiences.

I found this with a Google search:

http://www.beyondships.com/HAL-Noordam-Rescue.html

Captain Hans Mateboer has written several books, and was available in the ship's gift store to autograph books.

I would also suggest doing the self-paced, audio-guided Art Tour. You can reserve an iPod with the librarian and the tour takes about an hour.

Enjoy the beautiful Noordam!

HAL invests a lot in its art collections, making each ship a unique adventure.

Indeed they do and while not a "hidden treasure" since it's right out there to see, it is well worth the time to just wander about admiring and enjoying the extensive collection on Noordam. I'm looking forward to doing just that again very soon There are so many things to discover, many tucked away here and there....it's a remarkable collection to be found on a ship. I've not seen the like elsewhere.

I hope you love the Noordam as much as we, and so many others on here do. She has such an understated elegance and charm that is only surpassed by the excellence of the service from her staff. There are just so many special touches that set her apart and make the anticipation of sailing on her again so great. Have a fantastic time!

Cheers, Penny

“You can’t cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the water” Rabindranath Tagore

Penny’s “Affair to Remember” QM2 Review Dec. 2006

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...QM2 to the Caribbean again

October 16,2008...QM2 transatlantic in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage.

December 9, 2008...QM2...back to the Caribbean

July 30, 2009....QM2....transatlantic again...

August 7, 2009....QM2... “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....Emerald Princess to the Caribbean

Aug 14, 2010...QM2... return to Norway, all the way to the top!

Aug 22, 2011...Diamond Princess....North to Alaska!!

Dec 2,2011...Noordam to the Caribbean...outstanding! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1544173

2012...Assorted land trips in my own stunning country

Oct 2012....OBX

2012...Booked on the lovely Noordam again

Several North Atlantic crossings from childhood thru college on ships of the old Norwegian America line and Swedish America Line...RIP to those marvelous old ships

All ships have their hidden treasures. Any secrets about Noordam you wish to share? Thanks. We have sailed with HAL before but every ship has it's own special features.

Captain John Scott, with whom we had several really intresting conversations regarding a broad range of topics especially ships and the love of the ocean.

Archived