snorkling in cocoCay

Looking at the excursions and they say discount if you bring your own gear. Do I need to book with them if I have my own gear or can I just go out and do it where other people that paid are doing it, or is it like a secure area where we wouldn't be able to get to?

The reason I ask is i see there a plane wreckage it says and that be cool to see !

Edited by Louiejr2006

Last time we were at Coco there was some fun Snorkeling off the beach in certain areas. If you bring some gear it is free. There was some jellyfish to win around but they are easy to avoid. They also rent gear but we always bring our own.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Looking at the excursions and they say discount if you bring your own gear. Do I need to book with them if I have my own gear or can I just go out and do it where other people that paid are doing it, or is it like a secure area where we wouldn't be able to get to?

The reason I ask is i see there a plane wreckage it says and that be cool to see !

Free to see the planes, but I think those planes were placed there, they did not crash there.

Free to see the planes, but I think those planes were placed there, they did not crash there.

Correct. They're in remarkably good shape for "crashed" planes. :D

OP, bring your own gear but attend the orientation briefing near the snorkel shack, given a few times during your port stay. They'll tell you where the snorkeling rafts are, and the planes, and the sunken cannons, etc. There is also a more challenging area that was closed the day we went due to higher seas.

Last time I was there a snorkeling vest was required, and I rented one from the snorkel shack ($10 I think; I've since purchased my own). I brought everything else with me.

The water is maybe 15 feet deep there, hence the rafts (for resting) and the lifeguard station, and the requirement (not strictly enforced) to wear a vest.

It was great...must have been hundreds of fish out by the rafts and the lifeguard station (they feed them there).