7 day South Pacific or 10 day PNG cruise??

js4rq

Hi, my partner and I are looking at doing a cruise departing Brisbane (been 3 years since our last P&O cruise).

We have read a couple reviews on the PNG cruise and we are considering this cruise, departing November 2014. Or the 7 day South Pacific cruise going to Noumea, Lifou (or Mare) and Vila (possibly for August or October). The PNG is obviously dearer and we would only get an inside or oceanview cabin. For the 7 day cruise, we would get an oceanview or balcony.

What cruise should we do and what month? :D:cool:

Cheers!

It depends whether or not you like the heat. I think Aug to Oct is great for the islands and duty free at Vila. We thought PNG was fantastic but the heat and humidity was overwhelming - for me, anyway. November is apparently the end of the dry season before the monsoon comes.

There's another PNG cruise in September but I read the Canoe & Kundu Festival is held in November, which is the main reason we want to do a cruise then.

Or is a mini Canoe & Kundu Festival held each time P&O is in port for cruise passengers, does anyone know?

Thanks!

We did the Kundu Festival cruise in November -- it was VERY hot and humid (but I (who HATES heat and humidity) survived it. It was wonderful and overwhelming at the same time. It will go down as one of the most important travels we have ever done - important in so many ways. I really cannot see how subsequent cruises can in any way equal the Festival cruise. The reason for this is that each year they build a very large village (just for the Festival ) and tribes come form hundreds of miles away to attend. I am now considering travelling to Alotau for this year's Festival and spending a week there to witness the buildup.

With that said - the Festival cruise is a once per year opportunity -- South Pacific island cruises are a more than once a week opportunity. My recommendation is to do the PNG Festival cruise -- and a South Pacific Island cruise as well at some other time..

Barry

Edited by bazzaw

Thanks for that, bazzaw! :cool: we wouldn't have considered doing a PNG cruise if it wasn't for your blog! :)

We were planning on returning to Tassie in August and seeing the snow (just love the place!!) but think we might skip it for a November PNG cruise!!

Was also planning on going to Europe again early next year but that might have to wait until mid to late 2015!!

Thanks again. :)

Edited by js4rq

There's another PNG cruise in September but I read the Canoe & Kundu Festival is held in November, which is the main reason we want to do a cruise then.

Or is a mini Canoe & Kundu Festival held each time P&O is in port for cruise passengers, does anyone know?

Thanks!

Go for the earlier one, that does the full Festival.

We went on the 2nd cruise, which went a couple of weeks after the Kundu Festival. They did have some Canoe's out racing, and they did some dancing at the Festival Grounds, but I think being there for the full festival would be much better.

We are so pleased that we went on the Festival cruise -- I do really recommend it http://www.youtube.com/audio?feature=vm&v=Msvs1W7L-Xg

Barry

When we booked ours (on board Pacific Dawn on a previous cruise) we were told that the one we selected was the one that featured the festival. We only found out later that it wasn't..... Oh well, we still had a good time, and we went to Kitava, which the first cruise didn't, and we got to see the volcano erupt, so all was good.

• 2 weeks later...
Is the heat & humidity in Papua New Guinea any hotter or humid than Singapore?

I regularly visit Singapore, and I love the hot/humid weather there.

Probably not - but when I am in Singapore, I often avail myself of the abundant airconditioning, in hotels, shopping centres , etc -- it's everywhere. In PNG, it's nowhere !! :)

Barry

• 1 month later...