Safety Issue for Solo Cruiser at Beaches?

My3Cents

Don’t stay on the ship. Go on YouTube and search for videos about the Costa Maya port area and/ Uvero Beach Club, or the other places people have mentioned here. Seeing it will make it less intimidating.

Watch a bunch of videos so when you get there you won’t feel lost. You really will be missing a lot if you stay on the ship.

Good idea!

To Original Poster:

I am also a solo female traveler and want to give another plug for Steve Uhl and Tropicante. I already have my spot booked there on my 4/29 Getaway cruise. If, by any chance, you are on that cruise please let me know! Also, be sure to enjoy the solo cruiser program on your NCL ship. They do a great job coordinating activities for solo travelers and that's a great way to meet others who are also looking for a beach excursion.

They now have small safe lockers and backpacks that you can secure onto your beach chair for your "valuables"-petty cash, phone etc..... While they are not fool proof, they are a deterrent.

Someone looking to quickly make off with your stuff is probably not going to take the time to wrestle with this trying to figure out how to remove it and if they really want to take your stuff they will have to pick up and carry off your lounge chair.....honestly, at that point they might move on to someone who hasn't bothered to secure their things. I got my husband and one of our friends each a backpack type unit. The straps are anti-cut, there is a lock and the backpack part is nonslashable (or so they claim). It was around $100. It doesn't mean we don't watch our stuff, but we feel more relaxed all being in the water together with an eye on our chairs.... I believe I ordered it on Amazon.

My husband and I were in Costa Maya in November and had plans to visit Tropicante. At the last minute, my husband decided he didn’t want to go and wanted to stay on the ship. I was initially quite upset because I didn’t want to go by myself, but I remembered reading on CC about how safe the port is.

So, I decided to brave it and go to Tropicante on my own. I am so very glad I did! It turned out to be my favorite day of the cruise. The service was incredible, the beach and water was gorgeous! And I was afraid it would be hard or unsafe to take a cab back to the ship by myself, but I needn’t have worried. The cab stand is right by Tropicante and they put me in a large van with lots of fellow passengers. I highly recommend you give it a try!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums