Wine Packages

geordiebing

Cruise lines really get coy with how they label cruises anymore. Is it a B 2 B with two segments or one cruise? We just got off a 29 day cruise billed as one cruise with a fancy name, but it really consisted of two segments. There were quite a few guests on board who booked as B 2 Bs. One fellow looked into it and did the B 2 B since he turned Elite at the end of the first segment so he got free laundry on the second, they told him if he booked it as one cruise, no elite status until next time.

We have been on quite a few of these over time with different lines. Not sure if we got a better deal or not, but we normally don't book B 2 B unless there is no alternative.

What I have found is that they are constantly changing the rules. Sometimes for the better. For instance, with our free Elite internet time, even though we were booked on a single cruise, we had to use all our time up by the end of the first segment, then we got a new free allotment for the second. This worked out better as we got more total free time but it was a shame we either had to rush to use remaining time or lose it. Last cruise we found that had changed, at the end of the first segment our time remaining was carried over into the second, when we used that up we automatically got our full free time allotment for the second as well as the cut rate for more. I asked why the change and they told me there was a lot of previous complaining from guests who carried on over to second segments.

So, I wouldn't be surprised if they adjust these booze deals in a similar manner. Remember, they started out with the requirement both persons in a cabin had to purchase the ultimate beverage package if one did. They changed that due complaining and now only one can buy it without the other being forced.

I take into account the OBC that I will get. Sometimes booking one long cruise works better, but other times, two legs are better
Paul is correct about this. You have to work out the pricing both ways and see which gives you the better bottom line.

Also, in my experience, if one of the B2Bs is a repositioning cruise, that segment is more likely to have a price reduction as time goes on. If you have booked as two cruises, you may be able to be refared for that segment if it goes down in price whereas the longer cruise (consisting of the same two segments) may not be reduced or goes up in price.

The downside of booking as two segments is that you might not have the same cabin for both segments. However, with the assistance of the cabin steward, that has never been a big problem for us.

I hope that makes sense.