20 kg on comuter flight - What will I do??

Shoequeen

We will be crusing on the Rhapsody 2/21/10. After we dock in Sydney on 2/4, we are planning to go visit our nephew who lives somewhere by the Gold Coast Airport. When checking I found flights for a pretty decent fare, however, they either say "Carry on only" or "1 suitcase = 20 kg.". Converted that means only 44lbs!!!!! Does anybody have any suggestions on what I can/should do with the rest of my luggage, since I can ALMOST GUARANTEE that we'll each have more than 44lbs. for a 14 day cruise.. I know the airports in the states have removed all storage facilities since 9/11, but possibly Sydney still has them... '

Any suggestions would be welcome.

While most people on a international ticket can get a waiver of the lower limits on domestic flights, the 20kg limit into Gold Coast is likely due to the size of the aircraft, the best alternative is to fly into Brisbane and take the train to Gold Coast. You would need to change in central Brisbane but the trains are all roll on for the luggage, no steps and can be done with no trouble. Buy the ticket in advance and save.

The reason that I suggested routing through Brisbane instead of luggage storage is that Brisbane is an international departure point for Qantas with nonstops to LA that could easily connect ot Chicago. I didn't see a reason to fly into the smaller airport if it meant baggage restriction and the need to fly back to Sydney for a return flight to the states.

You can also consider rethinking your packing. I was gone 4 weeks in Europe this summer, and complied with this 20kg limitation on 2 regional flights. Key is to do laundry. I never leave home without my Zote soap either. :) rinsing out a few smaller items, is no big deal to me and works with my light packing priority.

When checking I found flights for a pretty decent fare, however, they either say "Carry on only" or "1 suitcase = 20 kg.".
There is luggage storage at all three terminals at Sydney airport, as The Big M says - so that is one solution if you're flying back to Sydney to fly home.

Another solution is to book on Qantas. This is because there is a special concession offered by Qantas:-

^ If your itinerary includes a flight to/from the USA, US Territories, South America and Canada via the Pacific you are entitled to two pieces (one piece for infants) of checked baggage on all Qantas and QantasLink operated flights within your itinerary regardless of whether these flights appear on the same or a separate ticket. You will be required to provide proof of your international ticket at check-in indicating travel to/from or via the USA, US Territories, South America or Canada. Valid for the duration of your international ticket, or up to a maximum of 12 months from the date of the first flight to/from the USA, US Territories, South America or Canada – whichever date falls first.

Reports about this concession indicate that your international travel does not have to be on Qantas. You just have to have flown in from America and be able to prove it.

The normal domestic baggage allowance on Qantas is 23 kg pp = 50 pounds. There is nothing particularly special about the 20 kg allowance quoted by other airlines - it's just the normal allowance, with some airlines working to 20 kg and some to 23 kg.

Qantas no longer flies to Coolangatta/Gold Coast, but as moyaroo says you can fly to Brisbane (lots of flights on this thick trunk route) and get to the Gold Coast quite easily.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.. I will definitely check them all out and see which option is best for us. (I'm just about positive that the 20kg in 1 suitcase for 3 weeks isn't going to be my choice:D, but I"ll check out the others.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.. I will definitely check them all out and see which option is best for us. (I'm just about positive that the 20kg in 1 suitcase for 3 weeks isn't going to be my choice:D, but I"ll check out the others.

Try it - it's liberating!

We live in New Zealand and, unless going through the US, always have to comply with a 20-23Kg baggage allowance.

We have travelled for 10 weeks while staying within that weight limit. Yes, you do have to do some laundry along the way, but the positives far exceed this disdvantage. Only one bag to keep track of, fewer possessions to mislay, it's much easier to move around.

We always pack to comply with the weight limits of the smallest allowance of the various airlines we will be using. For our next (11 week) trip, that will be 15Kg, as that is what is allowed on our flight from Iguassu Falls to Buenos Aires.

Try it - it's liberating!

We live in New Zealand and, unless going through the US, always have to comply with a 20-23Kg baggage allowance.

We have travelled for 10 weeks while staying within that weight limit. Yes, you do have to do some laundry along the way, but the positives far exceed this disdvantage. Only one bag to keep track of, fewer possessions to mislay, it's much easier to move around.

We always pack to comply with the weight limits of the smallest allowance of the various airlines we will be using. For our next (11 week) trip, that will be 15Kg, as that is what is allowed on our flight from Iguassu Falls to Buenos Aires.

If you can go 10 or 11 weeks in one bag that only weighs 20-23kg (44 lbs), then you are definitely my hero!!! I have a hard time doing a 7 night cruise with 1 bag weighing 50lbs... I have gotten much better though. I've learned (later in life) that comfort is much more important than style, so I really don't need the 12 pair of shoes that are really cute, but next to impossible to walk in.. I've also learned that I spend most of my days in a bathing suit and cover-up, so I don't need alot of daytime clothes, either. Enough underwear is a must though. I really don't like to think about doing laundry while on vacation.

If you can go 10 or 11 weeks in one bag that only weighs 20-23kg (44 lbs), then you are definitely my hero!!! I have a hard time doing a 7 night cruise with 1 bag weighing 50lbs... I have gotten much better though. I've learned (later in life) that comfort is much more important than style, so I really don't need the 12 pair of shoes that are really cute, but next to impossible to walk in.. I've also learned that I spend most of my days in a bathing suit and cover-up, so I don't need alot of daytime clothes, either. Enough underwear is a must though. I really don't like to think about doing laundry while on vacation.

Thanks! :)

Getting to this "minimalist" packing has been a long process. We do still manage to take along clothes for formal nights, but we mix and match and we don't care if we wear the same clothes to dinner on more than one night.

We each do our own laundry - usually in the sink or shower each evening. Done in small amounts like that, laundry is no problem. It just becomes a habit. We take low-crease, quick-dry clothes and pack a small, elastic washing line.

I only take 3 pairs of shoes - pretty sandals that I wear to dinner every night, comfortable walking shoes (wear on the planes as they are the heaviest) and flip-flops (beach and as slippers).

I do remember when (in my younger days) I took along 2 heavy cases for a 14-day land trip. Then, I thought I had to carry a different outfit for every day. That one journey taught me that one suitcase is always enough!

I do remember when (in my younger days) I took along 2 heavy cases for a 14-day land trip. Then, I thought I had to carry a different outfit for every day. That one journey taught me that one suitcase is always enough!

I have one of those memories also... We took a 17 day tour in Europe 10 years ago and back then you were allowed 70lbs. per suitcase.. I only had 1, but naturally I had to have all 70lbs!!! As with a cruise, the suitcases were put outside of hotel room door each night, but when we got off of the coach at the next stop, we had to take it up to our rooms from there. Sometimes that coach wasn't able to stop right in front of the hotel, so.......... yes, it was a VERY heavy 70lbs. And the kicker was, Europe was having an exceptionally cool summer, so that 1 pair of jeans that we brought "just for an emergency" ended up being what was wrong day in and day out... The other 65lbs. just stayed packed from place to place:eek:

I'm sure everybody has a packing horror story to share and a lesson learned from it. Gee - maybe that would be a good thread to start:)

While most people on a international ticket can get a waiver of the lower limits on domestic flights, the 20kg limit into Gold Coast is likely due to the size of the aircraft, the best alternative is to fly into Brisbane and take the train to Gold Coast. You would need to change in central Brisbane but the trains are all roll on for the luggage, no steps and can be done with no trouble. Buy the ticket in advance and save.

You do not change trains between Brisbane Airport and the Gold Coast the train goes all the way to Robina which is the southern end of the coast and is being extended further south.

You do not change trains between Brisbane Airport and the Gold Coast the train goes all the way to Robina which is the southern end of the coast and is being extended further south.

:o Feeling so embarrassed, I was so sure that there was a change that I didn't look it up. We only took the train from Central so . . .

It is a great way to the airport though as Brisbane traffic is a killer.

And you don't get hit by the toll camera's on the bridge without a booth! Those of you from Brissie (or is it 2z's?) should know of what I speak.

Archived