NEW! QM2 Review by Cruise Critic

LauraS

• Administrators
[font=Arial]When [/font][url="http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=294"][font=Arial][color=#0000ff]Queen Mary 2[/color][/font][/url][font=Arial], the first purpose-built ocean liner to be constructed in decades, launched in January, expectations were high about the ship that was to be like no other in the world. And, indeed, it features a wide range of superlatives -- biggest ship ever, first planetarium at sea, the only onboard Veuve Clicquot champagne bar, and on and on.[/font]
[font=Arial][/font]
[font=Arial] But passenger reviews during the ship's first few months were mixed -- if not about the ship, which was pretty universally applauded, then about service in its dining rooms and cabins. Six months later, we wondered: have ship staffers smoothed out the inaugural wrinkles? Our correspondent, who recently returned from a six-night trans-Atlantic crossing, fills us in. [/font]
[font=Arial][/font]

[font=Arial]Laura[/font]

"As with casual dining on other lines, passengers eating at La Piazza and the Carvery help themselves to the appetizers from the buffet, while the main course and dessert are served to the table."

Interesting. When I dined at the Carvery on the last evening of my cruise (Queen for a Day/Mother's Day cruise) the entire meal was served by the waiter. We didn't have to help our selves to anything. The service was terrific. And the onion tart appetizer rivals the famous goat cheese souffle served in the Olympic Restaurant on Millennium.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
[quote name='cruise pup']"As with casual dining on other lines, passengers eating at La Piazza and the Carvery help themselves to the appetizers from the buffet, while the main course and dessert are served to the table."

Interesting. When I dined at the Carvery on the last evening of my cruise (Queen for a Day/Mother's Day cruise) the entire meal was served by the waiter. We didn't have to help our selves to anything. The service was terrific. And the onion tart appetizer rivals the famous goat cheese souffle served in the Olympic Restaurant on Millennium.[/QUOTE]

Just back from the QM2 11/6-16/04 New Yorker's Caribbean cruise. You do not help yourself to appetizers in the Carvery at dinner time. Just as it was in May, the appetizers are served to you. I think only La Piazza has a buffet antipasto.

I was very sorry to see that Danette and her husband had such an unpleasant cruise aboard the QM2 this Novemerr to the Caribbean. As I understand this review, she did not dock at any of the ports. They were treated like steerage passengers even though they were in one of the most expensive B category staterooms!

We are traveling on the QM2 on 12/6 from NYC. It is a 14 day cruise, but the difference in price between a B1 and a P2(lowest grill class) stateroom
is $8K per passenger. I doubt that being treated as a first class passenger for 14 days is worth that price difference! You would also miss dining in the magnificent main restaurant styled after the best of the transatlantic liners.

Danette states that there were only two options for dining - either the main restaurant or the Kings Court (glorified crew's cafeteria). Does anyone know if she has closed the Todd English Restaurant? We were looking forward to dining there at some point during our cruise. We also enjoy poolside dining at lunch but perhaps the option there has also been closed.

She also stated that the poolside was boring. I only hope she means that there are no live bands or piped through music to ruin the serenity you would like while lounging at the pool. If so, we won't be confined to our balcony to experience some peace and quiet.

I hope potential passengers will read her review and if this ship is not to their tastes save money by sailing on NCL, Royal Carribean, or any of the
Carnival ships. Unhappy passengers spread their dissatisfaction, tainting
the voyage for those who do enjoy this type of ship. Its much better for them and us that they sail on the ships they enjoy.

Guess that's why there is both vanilla and chocolate ice cream!

Bugeye: When you get a chance, check out our Maryland Cruise Addicts thread. It was initially started under Royal Caribbean but now it is just for and about us Marylander cruisers and whatever ships we sail on.

[url="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=2443567#post2443567"]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=2443567#post2443567[/url]

Tom

Archived