Tipping Questions (merged)

I'm confused about how to tip. Is it true we can pay our tips upfront, on our account? But then we also tip after every drink, after every room service call? Who else should I tip, other than our waiter and room steward? The person who takes our luggage at the dock?

Any idea if I tip the people greeting us for our wedding (our co-ordinator)? The officiant who marries us? The photographer who takes our pictures? Do you tip the people at the help desk (or whatever they call it) on the ship?

I'd love to know what's expected, as I don't want to offend anyone I'm supposed to tip! How much does one spend on average in tips in total, for a 7 day cruise?

Thanks. Not sure where I should have put this post so I thought to be specific with who we'll be sailing with in case it differs!

For Cabin Steward, Ass't houskeeper, Waiter, Bus Boy and Asst Maitre D' are charged to your cabin. You will be given cards to distribute to these folks the last evening of your cruise.

Tips for room service: at the time they deliver

Tis for drinks..automatically added to your bill which you sign and it gets charged to your onboard account.

You may, at your discretion, add cash to any of the gratuities or you can go down to the purser's desk and have tips removed.

For Cabin Steward, Ass't houskeeper, Waiter, Bus Boy and Asst Maitre D' are charged to your cabin. You will be given cards to distribute to these folks the last evening of your cruise.

Almost correct. Tips are added to your account ONLY if you tell them to. Otherwise, it is up to you to put cash in envelopes for the Cabin Steward, Waiter, Assitant Waiter, and your Head Waiter.

Last post is correct--unless you are on transfer bus--then no tipping is necessary! Your bags will make it to your room just fine!

We prefer tipping our room attendant, waiter and assistant waiter in cash, rather than putting it on our seapass account. I just feel that the cash in the envelope is more personal--and, as we usually have such great service and tip more than the recommended amount, only our server's need to know how much they were given! I think they appreciate cash better than vouchers--which take some time to be converted to actual money!

So if we opt for the auto-tipping option, will they know that or will they still expect something?

On the last day of the cruise, you get the tip vouchers delivered to your room together with envelopes. Then you give those personally to the persons in question. Very simple!

Do you have to sign forms to 'opt out' of the auto tipping or can you just use cash to tip with from the get go. I would hate to have tipped in cash then also had tips charged to my account!;)

No, if you want auto tipping you'll need to submit forms during the cruise.

###

Do you have to sign forms to 'opt out' of the auto tipping or can you just use cash to tip with from the get go. I would hate to have tipped in cash then also had tips charged to my account!;)

No, on RCI you have to sign forms to "opt in" to auto tipping. Unless you sign and submit the required forms, all you will get at the end of your cruise are envelopes in which you can insert cash. If you opt in you will get vouchers to put into those envelopes to show that you have tipped the staff. If their service is exceptional (and we usually find that it is) you can add whatever cash you feel appropriate to the vouchers.:)

The Cruise Tip Calculator allows you to select your cruise line, plug in the number of people in your party (for whom you are tipping), the length of your cruise, and it pops out the exact recommended amount and breaks it down into bills should you choose to tip with cash:

http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/

:)

Theron

The Cruise Tip Calculator allows you to select your cruise line, plug in the number of people in your party (for whom you are tipping), the length of your cruise, and it pops out the exact recommended amount and breaks it down into bills should you choose to tip with cash:

http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/

:)

Theron

cool thanks for the calc info.

I just used the tipping calculator linked in another thread. It listed waiter, head waiter, and assistant waiter. When tipping these folks, do you tip for every day of the cruise, or only for days when you eat in the dining room (on our last cruise, we only went to the dining room twice)? Also, do children tip in full, as well (I assumed that they did, until I saw the "full tip" checkbox next to children on the calculator. Then I wondered.)?

I can only tell you my experience on RCCL because thats all I have sailed. The bottom line is that you tip at the end of the cruise and full tips for the children. Even if you only ate in the dining room twice, the waiters served you in the Winjammer right? The waiters rotate shifts to cover the Winjammer and the dining room.

Marilyn <------------- is getting a soda and making popcorn.

Almost correct part two. You are not given cards if you pre tip. They give you slips of paper/vouchers that you place in the appropriate envelopes, also provided.

Marilyn,

I wasn't aware that there were waiters in the Windjammer. I just assumed that it was like the Carnival buffet - self-serve. Does the Windjammer have the full group: waiters, assistant waiters, and head waiters?

Thanks!

It is self serve, unless of course there is a virus going around the ship:eek: then the wait staff serves you. Having said that, the waiters keep the tables clean and may come around with drink refills. I have never eaten in the Windjammer for diner though. I have seen my waiters in the Windjammer for breakfast and lunch. Breakfast and lunch in the dining room is open seating. Alot of guests dont utilize the dining room for breakfast and lunch, they opt for the WJ. Thus, the need for more waiters in the WJ during those meals.

Remember, the calculator serves most of the major cruise lines, and some of them have different policies. A couple do recommend reduced tips for children in some circumstances, but not RCCL. For a more thorough explanation, click on the "Children" link, and a window will pop up with more information.

Theron

Yes, you should tip even for the nights you don't utilize the dining room. And of course, the amount should reflect the service you received! If it was good (and it usually is!) tip the recommended amount. Just for your peace of mind, go ahead and budget full tips for your entire family--that way, you won't be hurting and strapped at the end of the cruise!

if it were actually a tip there would'nt be such pressure to pay them.

That being said we usually tip our waiter, assistant waiter and room steward anywhere from the voucher amount to twice as much depending on the level of service. I also tip during the week if something special is done.

If I interact with the same WJ members everyday I will also tip them

Especially the egg chef and the table cleaning folks. I like to clear my own table clean my dishes and put them in the proper place in the station,

this is always good for a laugh or two and a great way to make friends.

I do only prepay for 1 person ,I'm not sure they actually get all the voucher money, besides cash is always better. The good news is that on RCI the staff gets to keep what you give them unlike HAL and others who make them pool all tips.

Just do as you would like to be treated for service rendered.

TIP= To Improve Service. odd it's given at the end.

The worst cruise I was ever on was Fantastic!!!

John

I always ALWAYS budgeted the full tip amount rounded up a bit and have the money clipped, separated, and ready to insert in the envelopes given at the end of the cruise. That money is the minimum I'd pay the staff even if I had sloppy service. I then add to it if the service was great and the person was outstanding at their job.

The people working on a cruise depend on tips for their expected earnings. I've had less than stellar performance at times on some cruises, but there is no need in my mind to penalize the person because they may have been overwhelmed, new, not having a good week themselves, or just having an off moment when I was there.

Most of the people that have waited on me are young and trying to make it in the world the best they can. Several of them were trying to save up for college when they return home or are working to support their family. I've always smiled, said thank you, and genuinely appreciated the things the workers are doing for me.

Beyond giving your servers money: Try to make your table the "safe" table, where they can let their guard down a bit, stop and chat between courses, and where they feel comfortable knowing you are a nice person. For your room steward, always greet them and thank them as much as possible. In all cases, be jovial, cheerful, and kind! It really can brighten people's day! I can just imagine what some of these people go through having seen the attitude of some of my fellow cruisers.

Archived