Southampton to London

planomom

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JudyJB:
It is only a short cab ride. And there will be cabs lined up for you all.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>...and the trains leave every half hour. You can buy your ticket at the station, where you can also get light snacks, water etc.

It's very easy, straightforward and enjoyable. Travel time on the train about one hour.

Crouton

P.S. I will just mention that I stayed in Southampton for a few days after disembarking and enjoyed it. Between the maritime museum, the old city walls, the parks, the harbor activity, and the "smaller town" introduction to English culture -- an option.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It's very easy, straightforward and enjoyable. Travel time on the train about one hour <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, yes and no. The trains are 'commuter' trains so have very little space for luggage - if you travel at a busy time of day it can be cramped. Depending on platforms you may have to hike over stairs with luggage. Also, for clarification its not 'Eurostar' the high speed link from London to Paris, but South West Trains. I have done the trip a couple of times - sometimes its fine, other times it can be 'standing room only' especially if there are several ships in that day, which you can check here. Fortunately it looks as though its only you and the other 2,600 QM2 pax that day.

My advice would be to take your time, let the other pax trample each other in the rush to the station - maybe go to a Hotel in Southampton for lunch, go for a walk, then proceed to London once the herd has departed.

I'm afraid that public transport truly is a 'return to earth with a bump' after Cunard.

Enjoy your crossing.

Peter

Planomom,

Look at the 'Getting to Southampton' post. I am taking the National Express from London to Southampton. Although it takes an hour longer than the train, we got 'funfares' and it only cost us 1 pound each (2 pounds was $3.65 with conversion costs). The train would be approx. $85 for 2. Also we figure we'll see more taking the bus.

National Express has these 'funfares' at certain times throughout the day. You can book them at [url="http://www.nationalexpress.com"]www.nationalexpress.com[/url].
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;6;5;18;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000[/img]
June 5th - Queen Mary 2 Westbound Transatlantic

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;11;22;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
November 22nd - Sun Princess 10 night Eastern Caribbean

You can purchase a first-class ticket on SOuthwest trains. There is usually only one first class car per train, so do be careful which one you get on. The first-class cars will be much less busy and have more space for luggage.

I made a serious mistake two years ago traveling with 4 pieces of luggage and my then 86 year old mother. It was standing room only and a commuter type train car. ALso, luggage had to be stored away from where I could stand. I finally found a place for my mother to sit, but I stood most of the time.

So ask ahead of time about first class trains and also for express trains that don't stop every 5 minutes.

There will not be anyone at the train station, by the way, to help with luggage. If you are in good physical shape and have limited luggage this won't be a problem, but if you need help you will be out of luck.

You may also want to bear in mind that many trains are not air-conditioned. If the weather is warm and the train is crowded, it can be quite oppressive.

2003 QE2 Westward Crossing

Archived