Rhine River Cruising on Avalon

river rat 77

I hope a cruiser will post an answer to your specific question soon. I was just wondering which ship you will be one, as they have ships of both 110m and 135m length. The shorter ones have a little advantage of a slightly lower draft over the longer ones.

It might take a while before someone answers as 30 August is a little too far into the future for predicting water levels and therefore companies deciding on how to procede.

notamermaid

Avalon has not said which ship to my knowledge. On pins and needles.....

Your booked ship should be mentioned by name in all of your ticket/documentation information. It isn't?

From looking at their website, I think it might be Tranquility II?

scheduled on Avalon Basel to Amsterdam Aug 30. Anyone on this cruise experiencing changes or cancellations due to water levels?

Hey River Rat 77, I think we're on the same cruise. Tranquility II, Basel-Amsterdam 9/1-9/8. You can contact me via my username @gmail

Ships are assigned months before the cruise. It should be on you documents. Avalons newest ships, all no more than a couple or so years old, have the shallowest draft in the industry. Avalon ships are much more likely to get through than virtually all other cruise lines. We have experienced low water conditions on the Danube for two consecutive cruises (Fall 2016, and just last month.) Our ships made it through when everyone else was grounded and busing their passengers everywhere.

That's not to say that Avalon is immune. I think our cruise (Basel to Vienna July 5-17) may have been the last one to get through the worst stretch on the Danube for a while. But we sailed through when there were many, many other lines stuck.