A new name for an Aussie cruiseline??

bazzaw

There are cruiselines that are immediately associated worldwide with a particular country.

EG P&O is very much associated with Britain - as is CUNARD (although it also has a strong association with the US because of Cunard's tradition of Trans-Atlantic crossings)

Carnival obviously associated with the US - as is Disney.

Costa - Italy??

Princess ?? - now associated with US, but I am unsure of past history.

Etc, etc.

But P&O (AUS) ??? - what people don't know/understand is that P&O has a very strong association with Australia - both in regards to the line voyages from the UK to the "colonial outposts" - and also the creation of "cruising " as we know it today starting here in Australian waters in P&O Ships.

But that is all past history.

I have heard some people's thoughts that P&O AUS might become Carnival AUS. I can understand that from a business viewpoint BUT - do we really want to exchange a British identification with a "Pax Americanus" identification.

Why can't Australia/NZ have a cruiseline with a name that we and the rest of the World identify as uniquely Australian??

The big question is - what could be that name??

Barry

Barry

He's a few tongue in cheek suggestions.

Down Under Cruises.

Dinkum Cruises

Koala Cruises

Ocka Cruises

Oz Cruises

Gidday Cruises

She'll be Right Cruises.

Vegemite Cruise Line

Now that the ball is running I am sure there will be plenty of other suggestions.

John

sorry southern cross cruise has all ready been taken and it is in Canberra.

MV Southern Cross on Lake Burley Griffin,

I lived in Canberra for 6 years and the Canberra Southern Cross Club run a chain of clubs (kinda like RSL clubs) and they also run the Southern Cross Yacht Club (pretty much the same as the other clubs but on Lake Burley Griffin). The MV Southern Cross is a boat (owned by the Canberra Southern Cross Club) which you can hire for functions, chartered tours of the lake, dinner cruises, special events, etc. Not really the same thing as a cruise ship company... :)

I lived in Canberra for 6 years and the Canberra Southern Cross Club run a chain of clubs (kinda like RSL clubs) and they also run the Southern Cross Yacht Club (pretty much the same as the other clubs but on Lake Burley Griffin). The MV Southern Cross is a boat (owned by the Canberra Southern Cross Club) which you can hire for functions, chartered tours of the lake, dinner cruises, special events, etc. Not really the same thing as a cruise ship company... :)

You certainly couldn't board a cruise ship at Lake Burley Griffin, even though a few years ago HAL were advertising Canberra as a port:D:D The actual port was Eden.

yes that may be but the name has and is being used all ready and is a registered name.

yes that may be but the name has and is being used all ready and is a registered name.

In this game of just supposing. Carnival could buy the ACT assets, take over the name, buy up an accommodation property and run cruise/tours to the the Nevada Downunder. It's a good name so onto ship names.

Star is already taken as a common thread in cruise ship names but Southern is a possibility. Or South. Star of the South, Southern Galaxy, .....

Colleen

In this game of just supposing. Carnival could buy the ACT assets, take over the name, buy up an accommodation property and run cruise/tours to the the Nevada Downunder. It's a good name so onto ship names.

Star is already taken as a common thread in cruise ship names but Southern is a possibility. Or South. Star of the South, Southern Galaxy, .....

Colleen

I thought this thread was about the name of a cruise line ?

A lot of businesses use "Southern Cross" in their names. Southern Cross Care (aged care), Southern Cross Health Clubs, Southern Cross Austereo, Southern Cross Insurance. I'm sure if they decided they wanted to use the term "Southern Cross" in the name of a new cruise line, they'd be able to do it in a way that didn't encroach on another business.

A lot of businesses use "Southern Cross" in their names. Southern Cross Care (aged care), Southern Cross Health Clubs, Southern Cross Austereo, Southern Cross Insurance. I'm sure if they decided they wanted to use the term "Southern Cross" in the name of a new cruise line, they'd be able to do it in a way that didn't encroach on another business.
you may be right there great thought.

Archived