Help? Huge waves and seasickness?

murphysmum

Hello...

I posted that we have a reservation on the MS Fram for December 2008. I've learned from the boards that this is a mid-sized ship by Antartic standards. It seems to be about the same size as the Explorer, but the price for a large balcony room (seemingly hard to find on these ships) was significantly lower and it also seems to be ice rated. It also seems that none of the larger ships actually stop for landings and this would be very important for my husband.

I've now read every thread on this board and seen references to 40-80 foot waves. I've been on large, mid-sized and small boats and never had a particular problem with seasickness....I just wear bands if it's rough and it's enough. I don't tolerate scope or any of the seasick meds well. I've never been afraid on a ship, but I think that 10-15 feet are the largest waves I've ever encountered.

Okay, I confess....I'm afraid of the big waves. I can't imagine what a 50, much less an 80 foot waves looks like or feels like. I'm not a coward; I've been to many places in the world where many are afraid to go for various reasons...but the idea of being in what appears to be the roughest water anywhere in a 300 +/- person boat is quite daunting to me.

Is there anything that anyone can tell me that would make this more understandable? Stupid question, but what is a boat doing in 80 foot waves? On it's side?

I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me put this in perspective.

Thanks.

murphysmum;)

Drake Passage, which you have to sail to and from Antarctica, can be very rough - or it can be calm - like "Drake Lake."

We've been in those waters three times - twice it was very calm - once, en route from Antarctica to Ushuaia, it started out calm, but got rougher as we neared Ushuaia.

Knowing the potential for rough seas, we chose a cabin on Explorer II that was amidship and low - location, location, location. We didn't have a problem, but some in cabins on higher decks complained about the roughness.

Our captain was very experienced - as most, if not all , captains plying that route are. They know how to deal with what nature delivers.

We were advised it probably would be rough and took chewable Bonine as a preventative.

Since I haven't heard of any cruise ships sinking on the Drake passage, I kind of think of it like bad turbulence in airplanes. It may not be pleasant, but they wouldn't fly if it was fatal. Same with the crossing - they wouldn't do it if it was fatal. If I happen to be on the one ship (or one plane) where it is, I'd rather die that way than getting in a car crash, which is far more likely. Don't tailgate, people!

As for seasickness, try ginger. Mythbusters confirmed it: http://mythbustersresults.com/episode43

I have never been seasick (or any motion sick) but I am going to bring ginger for the crossing just in case.

Denise

You have been reading about some exceptional occurance that is a once every 50 years type thing. I doubt if anyone has seen a real 80ft wave in this area, the stuff of mythology IMHO. Yes it can get rough in Drake passage but all todays ships can cope. There was a bad storm there last year in January when the Nordnorge took 12 hours longer than normal to cross the Drake & the big HAL cruise ship had to turn back to Ush with broken windows. Mostly it is force 6/7 at worst & as others have said sometimes benign, you have to take your chance. I spent the whole of 1956/57 season in these waters in a ship one third the size of Fram, & never saw any huge waves. Have a good cruise, if you are as lucky as we were last December you will love it.

You have been reading about some exceptional occurance that is a once every 50 years type thing. I doubt if anyone has seen a real 80ft wave in this area, the stuff of mythology IMHO. Yes it can get rough in Drake passage but all todays ships can cope. There was a bad storm there last year in January when the Nordnorge took 12 hours longer than normal to cross the Drake & the big HAL cruise ship had to turn back to Ush with broken windows. Mostly it is force 6/7 at worst & as others have said sometimes benign, you have to take your chance. I spent the whole of 1956/57 season in these waters in a ship one third the size of Fram, & never saw any huge waves. Have a good cruise, if you are as lucky as we were last December you will love it.

No two crossings of the Drake are the same, nor for that matter is a visit to Antarctica. I have just returned from a trip on the Ocean Nova. According to staff we had the calmest passage across the Drake they can remenber. (both ways) We had other issues, such as a large amount of sea ice. I will try to post details when I do areview after the holidays.

I plan to take the whole range of remedies just in case! [Ginger, pressure bands, Bonine, and Phenergan. The latter was recommended in the Lonely Planet Antarctica guide. It is a drug not really for motion sickness but for nausea and vomiting in general.] I have not ever been seasick but I want to be prepared.

I did the Antarctica on the Nordkapp which is probably about the same size as the Fram. Going over, it was sort of rough but not too bad. I had no problems; my wife threw up one morning at breakfast. Coming back, we had the Drake Lake which disappointed me because I was looking forward to the rough water experience.

However, when we got to Cape Horn, things got much better. We had a force 12 gale. I managed to get to the bow of the boat and as long as I stayed plastered against the bulkhead, all was OK. However, when I moved away from the bow, I had to hold on to the railing to avoid being blown.

There were only 3 of us who were crazy enough to be there but it was great.

Be positive.

DON

Thanks to all of you for your varied and helpful replies. I DO feel much more comfortable about going now. Thinking of the motion as turbulence really helps; I sleep through major turbulence on planes.

I'll take some ginger, bands and Phenergan and probably not need it. I think the Fram looks like a great ship and I plan on having a great time!

Again, thanks....This is such a great way to communicate information with each other and I appreciate the time all of you took to write.

murphysmum;)

Archived