Tauranga / Rotoroa New Zealand Queries - Anyone able to help?

I am cruising to New Zealand and one of the ports we visit is Tauranga.

I am looking at hiring a car and driving to Rotoroa.

Hoping our NZ members or others who have done the same thing might be able to help answer a few questions for me!

1. Where exactly does the ship dock at Tauranga?

2. How long is the drive to Rotoroa from Tauranga / how long is the drive back?

3. Where do you suggest we stop on the drive / what things to see etc.

Thanks again for all your help!! :)

1. Where exactly does the ship dock at Tauranga?

Cruise ships dock at Mt Maunganui, which is the port for Tauranga.

If you are going to do your own thing and rent a car, make sure you get one that will deliver and let you drop off at the wharf.

There are plenty of cars lined up there in the morning and I have seen folk just walk ashore and pick one up for the day.As always though that depends on supply and demand, so best to book ahead.

Thanks Kiwi Cruiser & Kiwi Kruzer for all your help.

Was hoping you would both find my thread!!

Thanks for the information, advice and the video!

I have emailed a few car rental companies in NZ and have been able to get some quotes for car hire for under $100 NZ for the day, who can have the car ready for us at the wharf in the morning, and we can return the car to the wharf at the end of the day.

Are you able to tell me how long the drive is to Rotoroa? Is there somewhere online where I can purchase a road map of Tauranga?

Thanks again for your help, very appreciated :)

Are you able to tell me how long the drive is to Rotoroa? Is there somewhere online where I can purchase a road map of Tauranga? :)

Hi Luckie,

Before our cruise to New Zealand earlier this year we bought a "Discover New Zealand" Atlas and Guide published by Hema Maps. It has a full atlas of NZ, town maps of the larger places including Tauranga and full guide book info as well. We found it invaluable. You can check it out on line, but it would be available from all major book stores.

Evon.

Hi LuckiePuris,

On the way to Rotorua we visited the Kiwifruit plantation.It's called Kiwi 360. They do tours of the orchards..very interesting. The weather was awful and our trip to the thermal park not as enjoyable as we had hoped. It's a bit smelly too.

Hope you enjoy your time there.

Don't forget the beer and mussels in Paihia if you're that way inclined. The restauarnt was called Latitude 35.

I've attached pics of both.

Cheers,

Anna

Thanks Kiwi Cruiser & Kiwi Kruzer for all your help.

Was hoping you would both find my thread!!

:),

I am still trying to reply to your New Zealand Port & Tour Ideas thread :D :)

Is there somewhere online where I can purchase a road map of Tauranga?

I don’t think you can buy maps online, (I could be wrong, I only did a quick search, but if you do a google, you may be able to find a place online to buy maps)

You could also have a look at these websites:

http://www.newzealand.com

http://www.aatravel.co.nz/main/index.php

ir your going to roto-vegas and you have some spare time go and visit tamaki tours or mitai tour.both are entertaining and alot better than the hotel concerts.if you do go book on the bus tour it makes the trip alot more fun

if you do go book on the bus tour it makes the trip alot more fun

You make an interesting point there.

What do others think?

We have been in "foreign countries" rented a car and driven to what we wanted to see, then back on the ship, when talking to others, found out that they had seen and learnt a whole lot more ,as the guide was able to describe points of interest along the way and they were given a local input into what they were seeing.

Hiring a car to drive from Mt Maunganui to Rotorua is a viable option but make sure to allow plenty of time to get back to the ship. The road can get very busy around 4-6pm, especially around TePuke. I would allow at least 2 hours for the return trip.

While I agree that guided tours can be very informative I think you have to weigh it up against the cost. At most of the Rotorua attractions you can purchase a guided tour once you're there. TePuke is the only town you pass through between the mount and Rotorua and its only claim to fame is "The Kiwifruit Capital of the World" (and my hometown:D) I personally don't think it warrants a guided tour!

Hiring a car to drive from Mt Maunganui to Rotorua is a viable option but make sure to allow plenty of time to get back to the ship. The road can get very busy around 4-6pm, especially around TePuke. I would allow at least 2 hours for the return trip.

While I agree that guided tours can be very informative I think you have to weigh it up against the cost. At most of the Rotorua attractions you can purchase a guided tour once you're there. TePuke is the only town you pass through between the mount and Rotorua and its only claim to fame is "The Kiwifruit Capital of the World" (and my hometown:D) I personally don't think it warrants a guided tour!

Thank you for your advice.

As you mentioned, guided tours can be information but need to be weighed up against the cost, especially when cruising as a family visiting so many ports.

The good thing when doing your own tours at the ports is that you can do it at your own pace, see what you want to see, and don't feel rushed.

Thank you again for your assistance :)

Archived