Discover scuba with experienced diver

kbaird

I'll be cruising with my mom and sister, both are interested in a discover scuba excursion. I'm an experienced, certified diver and I'm worried that the discover dives will be boring for me (to shallow, not the best reefs etc) Anyone insights or advice?

I'll be cruising with my mom and sister, both are interested in a discover scuba excursion. I'm an experienced, certified diver and I'm worried that the discover dives will be boring for me (to shallow, not the best reefs etc) Anyone insights or advice?

Been there, done that.

The dive (s) will be fine, 40 feet is plenty deep around coral reefs.

It;s the introductory training time, and checkout underwater that is long and boring to watch.

Also the DSD dives usually cost a lot more, so you will be paying there too.

All depends on whether they insist that you be there and/or you want to have the same experience with them for later comparison.

Go for it

I'll be in Roatan doing the same thing with my diving friend. She has done 4 DSD dives, but still hasn't got certified. Sigh!

• 3 weeks later...

I was just over at the International Pier and spoke w/one of the fellows from Dive With Martin - he said they did the DSD right there near the International Pier. I asked him if they went over to the old airplane wreck in front of El Cid and Park Royal and he said "Yeah".

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Looks like most use Paradise Reef as their DSD location, but I'm asking around to see if they'll go to a different reef, a little further south in hopes of catching some better scenery, higher chances for sea turtles and nurse sharks.

You might try the dive op at Fiesta Americana - that hotel is a little further south than Paradise and the reefs are Las Palmas and Dzul Ha (Money Bar). Don't know anything about the dive op or where or even if they do DSD.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just booked with Alex Scuba. He was very responsive and helpful on email, has at least 7 different reefs that he takes DSD divers to depending on how well they do during practice and how comfortable they are.

Much better response than another shop that told me I was SOL if I wanted a decent certified dive with DSD buddies.