Ist cruise on QM2 on Oct 21,2012

nycruise2012

This is a 20th anniversary trip. Can you get reservations at Queen Grill for a special occasion? I have been told that travelling with my partner will be no problem. Dancing the occasional and tasteful PDA (Public display of affection) I presume will be of no concern. Any tips for 1st time cruisers?

You eat in the dining room that goes with your grade of cabin. You can't reserve a table in a dining room that is above that level. If you want a special occasion dinner, you might try the Todd English restaurant which you need to reserve. There is an extra charge per person.

This is a 20th anniversary trip. Can you get reservations at Queen Grill for a special occasion? I have been told that travelling with my partner will be no problem. Dancing the occasional and tasteful PDA (Public display of affection) I presume will be of no concern. Any tips for 1st time cruisers?

Get the three day spa pass - it's cheaper than two one day passes.

In addition to Todd English, try the Chef's Gallery [part of Kings Court]. There are posters here who will [frequently] mock the KC for evening dining - I think it makes a nice change of pace.

Take dance lessons with one of the dance hosts - they will find someone to teach either the leader of follower part for any dance.

I'm assuming you're in Brittania for dining. Check your assigned seating promptly after you get on board. If you find the location objectionable [like a long table for eight near the kitchen entrance] you should be able to change things promptly. We like sitting on the lower level, and make a entrance down the staircase from deck three. [Will either one of you be wearing a gown with a train? My wife and take advantage of being local to the port, and we bring both tuxes and gowns :-) ]

For embarkation, we tend to arrive [park on the pier] about noon, and generally are on board within an hour [the waiting room is not bad, but so far we haven't needed to wait much]

I disliked the Kings Court when I cruised on QM and thought all ship buffets were like this. I got a pleasant surprise from the buffet on the recent RCL cruise on Liberty of the Seas. Kings court should be completely revamped. I don't think criticism of Kings court should be dismissed as mocking it. It simply isn't a pleasant experience trying to work out the maze that it is. I have heard the a la carte restaurants at KC are better.

To the OP there is no chance of using Queens Grill. People celebrate special occasions all the time on board. Maybe your night will fall on a formal night. The Britannia Restaurant is quite lovely anyway.

No problem with your partner and tasteful PDAs, same for all couples.

I agree with the spa pass. Unless you plan on having a spa treatment as the treatment cost includes a spa day, I would get the whole crossing pass as it is only a little more than the multi-day passes.

No chance in dining in the grills. Todd English is nice.

There is so much to do on the ship. Try not to overbook yourselves with lectures, trivia contests, tea-time and dances and leave time for walking on deck, hanging out in the pub or the spa and taking a nap.

We did a TA for our honeymoon 3 years ago. There was no cover charge in the Kings Court then and we ate at the Lotus one night - it was very very good.

Nap time came very easily to us - usually about 11.00am with a book in the Commodore Club just watching the waves :)

The Library was excellent if you are a non-Kindle reader like me!

Have a wonderful trip

We sailed QM2 for our 10th wedding anni which is also hubbys b'day last Oct and had a wonderful time... we were on a shared table for dining in Britannia and hubby asked the Matre'd if it was possible to have a table for 2 on the day of our anniversary.. they were very accommodating and gave us a lovely table for a romantic dinner. During conversation with our waiter he confirmed that it was our anni and hubbys birthday and bout out 2 cakes... one for him and one for us... accompanied by a choir of waiters singing first happy birthday followed by let me call you sweetheart... so dont forget to let them know about any special occasions..... it was brilliant

Archived