Katakolon - Anything to do or see?

Cruisin'cockney

Hi Su,

How easy is it to DIY to Olympia? We are confident travelers but have not looked into distances from port to Olympia or how to get there. From these posts I’m thinking there may be a train?

Thanks for any info,

Libby

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We just returned and rented a car and drove to Olympia and then the beach, we also walked around the town of Olympia ..easy and fun

We just returned and rented a car and drove to Olympia and then the beach, we also walked around the town of Olympia ..easy and fun

Thanks Nancy717,

We are home now and we took the shuttle bus to Olympia for €8 return. Had 2 hours there then went to the museum of Greek technology in Katakolon.

A really good day!

Libby

Thanks Nancy717,

We are home now and we took the shuttle bus to Olympia for €8 return. Had 2 hours there then went to the museum of Greek technology in Katakolon.

A really good day!

Libby

Where did you find the shuttle bus? Is it always 8 euro or did you bargain? Thanks.

Where did you find the shuttle bus? Is it always 8 euro or did you bargain? Thanks.

When you get off the ship walk towards town. Ignore the taxi drivers who will charge €80 for the same trip. Once you leave the port there will be several men and women holding up boards offering The Olympia trip. We didn’t need to haggle, everyone was offering the €8 trip. We went with Greka Travel because we got a leaflet for that trip when we used the Hoho bus in Athens.

Our bus was meant to leave at 9 but we actually set off about 9.30. But we had 2 hours at Olympia. Enough time to view the ruins and go round the museum.

Easy trip, lots of other cruise passengers will be with you.

Enjoy!

When you get off the ship walk towards town. Ignore the taxi drivers who will charge €80 for the same trip. Once you leave the port there will be several men and women holding up boards offering The Olympia trip. We didn’t need to haggle, everyone was offering the €8 trip. We went with Greka Travel because we got a leaflet for that trip when we used the Hoho bus in Athens.

Our bus was meant to leave at 9 but we actually set off about 9.30. But we had 2 hours at Olympia. Enough time to view the ruins and go round the museum.

Easy trip, lots of other cruise passengers will be with you.

Enjoy!

Awesome, thanks for the great tips!

We just took a cruise a few weeks ago.

The 'fun" train is located at the end of the main road which is a very short walk from the port. I think tt was 6 euro roundtrip. It makes 2 stops - a winery and the beach. We took it round trip to the beach . This was a fabulous day and very inexpensive:)

I am a women traveling solo and just want to enjoy the day and see town and the countryside. How long is the train ride round trip? Just thinking enjoy the scenery and maybe a stop at the winery. I will be there mid-November so the beach will be too cool.

Thanks for any response