Looking to cruise Greece like a local

shm9496

My husband and I are taking a long-anticipated vacation next summer, and are interested in traveling to southern Italy and nearby islands (also exploring the Greek Isles, which is why I posted this same query to that board: I fear that's a violation of message board rules, but wasn't sure how else to address both countries at once.)

In any case, we'd love to keep the experience as authentic as possible by traveling on a boat patronized primarily by Greeks: We're far more interested in culture than luxury. Does such a thing exist? Or are we doomed to one of the major US cruise lines if we can't afford a private charter? Thank you!

Well, the traditional way to visit the Greek islands is by using the inter-island ferries starting from Piraeus (Athens) and island-hopping. Then find a room on arrival at each island. This was a very fashionable way of travelling with the British some years ago.

If you want a proper cruise, maybe look at Celestyal Cruises, which sail ex Greece, so may well have Greeks on board. No personal knowledge of the line, but I have looked at them in the past.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One of the most laughable parts of international travel is when a tourist tries to pretend they are a local. Not only do they fail to fool anyone, but often it just makes them look more foolish to the real locals :). Most "locals" are not taking cruises of their home area :). But if you want to be like some "locals" learn how to Captain your own sail boat....and then arrange to rent a nice boat for a few weeks and sail yourself around some of the Greek Islands (the Ionian's are particularly well suited for this).

Large cruise ships are very limited at where they can go within the Greek Islands. There are far more than 1000 Greek Islands (some authorities claim its over 6000 if you count all the tiny islands) with about 200 of them being inhabited. Cruise ships only visit a few. If you want to really experience some of the smaller (and we think delightful) islands you need to be on smaller boat cruises (which is why I mentioned a company like Variety Cruises). Another option for the larger more popular islands is to simply use inter-island ferries (some of these are the size of cruise ships) to move between a few islands...where you can spend a few days (or weeks) on each island.

A great example would be Santorini. IMHO this is one of the most gorgeous places in the world..and many others agree. Going there on a cruise ship for a few hours is amazing....but actually staying on that island for a few days is beyond amazing :). Once all the cruisers leave in late afternoon, the crowded streets of Fira and Oia become magical places. Having a long dinner at a restaurant with a view..is a delight and one can even find a place where you will have a view of the sunset. And spending some time at a Greek bar/club after dark with live music and even a view is a very nice experience that does not happen for those who have already left on their large cruise ship. And then you have some of the very large islands like Crete...where one could spend weeks exploring (with a rental car and hiking boots) and still not even begin to see all the island has to offer.

Hank

Hank, thanks for your feedback, but I think you misunderstood my query: I'm trying to avoid the big cruise ships and travel the way locals do. For example, when I lived in the Pacific Northwest, we got around by ferry; when I lived in the Southwest, it wasn't uncommon for folks to rent an RV. I very much wish I could rent a nice boat for a few weeks, but I can't afford to keep up with that class of local. What I had more in mind was the Grecian equivalent of places like Pigeon Forge or Weeki Wachee, where working-class Southerners vacation.

In any case, it sounds like the ferry system is the way to go. Thanks!

Hank, thanks for your feedback, but I think you misunderstood my query: I'm trying to avoid the big cruise ships and travel the way locals do. For example, when I lived in the Pacific Northwest, we got around by ferry; when I lived in the Southwest, it wasn't uncommon for folks to rent an RV. I very much wish I could rent a nice boat for a few weeks, but I can't afford to keep up with that class of local. What I had more in mind was the Grecian equivalent of places like Pigeon Forge or Weeki Wachee, where working-class Southerners vacation.

In any case, it sounds like the ferry system is the way to go. Thanks!

The ferry system is perfect for those who want to spend a few days on each island. But I think you will find that "locals" are not what you find on the ferries. In fact, I am not sure what you mean by locals...since the locals actually live on the islands :). The last time I took a ferry it was from Brindisi, Italy over to Corfu. The ship was packed with college kids (using Eurorail Passes) who were backpacking through Greece and Europe. DW and I bought some food and beer for several of the kids (we are old enough to easily be their Grandparents) and learned a little about their life stories :).

Two years ago DD and her DH spent a week on Crete and then planned to take a ferry over to Santorini. Their ferry got about 2 hours out of Crete, but the seas and wind were so nasty that the Captain turned back to Crete. They managed to get the last two seats on a flight to Athens from where caught another flight over to the island. Life is good :).

Hank

DIY. Ferry system and air if seas are bad or your time is limited. As long as your health permits, you pack light, and you are not the type of person that needs to have everything planned to the day. I would say this is one of our most enjoyable travel experiences. I only have to say Greece and DW is packing her travel bag!

And great add ons- is the travelling by rental car along the Med coast of Turkey. Or ending you trip in Crete. Then take an inexpensive Aegean Air flight to somewhere like Paris or London. You will get to have a nice few days in a city and probaby get a less expensive flight home provided you do open jaw.