Best place to view New York as you sail off...

dadsbdaycruiser

I am having 40+ people on the QM2 in a few weeks and am trying to figure out a best first meeting spot to view New York and get our group together as we sail away. We are in Queens Grill cabins, and wondered in the Queens Grill sundeck was a good spot to meet, or if there is some place better.

Ideally we'd like to have a sail away drink as we pull out of the harbor.

Also, does anyone know what time the life boat drills are and about how long they take. I know it varies from ship to ship (usually around 30 minutes) but I wasn't sure how the ship handles them.

The muster drill is usually around 4:00 on a 5:00 sailing. It takes about 20 to 30 minutes (since it usually is late starting due to people showing up late).

I feel the best place to view NYC would be on Deck 14 - The observation platform amidship.

Hope you and the group have a great cruise.

Ed

...with all those people the best place will simply be the fantail on deck 7 or even the furthest aft you can get on deck 8. Seems to me the drinks are there and the band (Vibz???) usually sits in that area.

The observation area up top is pretty small and usually crowded AND with lots of people it would be a bit of a nightmare to get there.

In any case, the best view of the city is aft of the ship and Lady Liberty is visible from just about anywhere other than the low port side.

Enjoy!

I am having 40+ people on the QM2 in a few weeks and am trying to figure out a best first meeting spot to view New York and get our group together as we sail away. We are in Queens Grill cabins, and wondered in the Queens Grill sundeck was a good spot to meet, or if there is some place better.

Ideally we'd like to have a sail away drink as we pull out of the harbor.

Also, does anyone know what time the life boat drills are and about how long they take. I know it varies from ship to ship (usually around 30 minutes) but I wasn't sure how the ship handles them.

Deck 8 aft. Did you book one of the rear QG cabins, I remember you were asking about them. If you did then I would suggest you meet on your balcony, you lucky thing. They look wonderful, I would love to oneday have one.

I am having 40+ people on the QM2 in a few weeks and am trying to figure out a best first meeting spot to view New York and get our group together as we sail away. We are in Queens Grill cabins, and wondered in the Queens Grill sundeck was a good spot to meet, or if there is some place better. ...

This sounds like exactly the sort of problem that your butlers can help with, especially by bring drinks to the QG deck area. They will stop by each cabin to introduce themselves right after you board. When they do, round them up, tell them your needs, and that you have heard how great they are at solving these little problems.

Bon Voyage,

Paul

Looks like we will be some the guests who are "late" arriving, our flight is supposed to land at 1:45pm, what with getting off, collecting cases, immigration, coach to pier...we will be lucky to get on board for the drill.

The deck with the band playing, are the drinks complementary ? :o

Also how much of the sail a away will we actually see, if you are on first sitting in the Britannia, I want some piccies of the statue of liberty. or do many people leave the Britannia and vist else where for dinner.

Brian

One question :What time is your departure from New York?

When I sailed in Sept, we sailed at 5p.m and I had a wonderful view from the Commodore Club (I sail alone and was not part of a group so the club was good for me.)

I sail again March 24, and the sailing time is 7p.m, this means in the middle of dinner for Main seating in Britannia, therefore if you are on that sailing you should plan on not going into regular dinner, but to eat later in Kings Court.

Of course if you are in Princess or Queens Grill you will be able to go there after we have left New York.

Since I eat in Britannia, I will either have to miss the sailaway or go to the buffet.

Boat drill is abouot 2 hours before we sail.

Hope this helps.

...with all those people the best place will simply be the fantail on deck 7 or even the furthest aft you can get on deck 8. Seems to me the drinks are there and the band (Vibz???) usually sits in that area. The observation area up top is pretty small and usually crowded AND with lots of people it would be a bit of a nightmare to get there.

?

We pefer to bring our own full glasses of wine from the stateroom...and go to the Deck 13/14 Observation platform. It is very easy to get there from the A, B, or D elevators or stairs. If is pouring rain, go to the Observation Area on Deck 11, via the A elevators.

Cheers,

B & B :cool:

Brian, you are on the BA1503 aren't you? We did that one back in January, we were clear of the terminal and in Manhattan and checked in at the hotel by 3pm. Baggage, immigration, customs is painless at Terminal 7, once you are cleared go outside and there is a taxi rank and you can grab a cab right away or if you are on the Cunard transfer the person is waiting right next to the arrivals barrier.

Looks like we will be some the guests who are "late" arriving, our flight is supposed to land at 1:45pm, what with getting off, collecting cases, immigration, coach to pier...we will be lucky to get on board for the drill.

Brian

Brian:

Please tell me you have Cunard Air!!??!! That will be cutting it pretty close, but if it's Cunard arranged, they will wait for you. And also that you have completed all the required on-line info/forms?? I believe all information must have been collected 90 minutes prior to sailing to be provided to the local authorities, else you may be denied boarding.

Michael

Brian:

Please tell me you have Cunard Air!!??!! That will be cutting it pretty close, but if it's Cunard arranged, they will wait for you. And also that you have completed all the required on-line info/forms?? I believe all information must have been collected 90 minutes prior to sailing to be provided to the local authorities, else you may be denied boarding.

Michael

Hi Michael

Yes we are Cunard air, flying with BA and according to the BA person i spoke to the other day, so are another 10 people....all info is up todate in the voyage personelisor (sp)

Brian

Brian, you are on the BA1503 aren't you? We did that one back in January, we were clear of the terminal and in Manhattan and checked in at the hotel by 3pm. Baggage, immigration, customs is painless at Terminal 7, once you are cleared go outside and there is a taxi rank and you can grab a cab right away or if you are on the Cunard transfer the person is waiting right next to the arrivals barrier.

Thats good news about the arrival at your hotel, we should be at the pier between 3-4 oclock...plenty of time

Brian

Many of the Queens Grill guests will have cabins on deck 9. At the bow end of deck 9 is the commodore grill which is a great meeting place, with a bar and a total view of the front of the ship as it sails out of NYC. If it turns out to be a warm day I would recommend going to deck 12, and standing as close to the smokestack as possible. When the ship goes under the Verrazano Bridge there is only about 12 feet between the top of the stack and the bottom of the bridge. It will look like the ship is going to hit the bridge--a truly amazing sight!

A life boat drill is at 4:30pm and takes about 20 minutes. It should be over before the ship leaves.

In planning where you watch from, keep in mind that the ship docks with the stern pointed toward Manhattan and does not turn around. Therefore, if you want to see the Manhattan skyline, you must be toward the stern.

Seeing the mast and funnel go under the bridge that connects Brooklyn and Staten Island is an interesting sight. The best areas for that are the open decks on the top of the ship.

In planning where you watch from, keep in mind that the ship docks with the stern pointed toward Manhattan and does not turn around. Therefore, if you want to see the Manhattan skyline, you must be toward the stern.

Seeing the mast and funnel go under the bridge that connects Brooklyn and Staten Island is an interesting sight. The best areas for that are the open decks on the top of the ship.

Interesting, when we returned to Red Hook two weeks ago, the ship did turn around and was stern towards Brooklyn and bow towards Governour's Island, ready to sail away full steam ahead - well, not full steam, but you get my drift (no, not a thread drift, this is really on topic!;) ). Do they vary this routine?

...four times and they've been port side to the dock each time. And, if you watch the web cam, it always shows her port-side-to.

Interesting, when we returned to Red Hook two weeks ago, the ship did turn around and was stern towards Brooklyn and bow towards Governour's Island, ready to sail away full steam ahead - well, not full steam, but you get my drift (no, not a thread drift, this is really on topic!;) ). Do they vary this routine?

...four times and they've been port side to the dock each time. And, if you watch the web cam, it always shows her port-side-to.

Agree with you completely, port side to the pier, but at least for the most recent return, the ship was on the north side of the pier, bow facing west, stern facing east making lower Manhattan off the starboard bow. Your returns/departures may have been different, just explaining how I experienced it 10 days ago.

Anyway is turns out, you can always move about the decks and see whatever sights you want!;)

...that she is supposed to share that dock with other very large ships.

Maybe one was in port at the same time???

Agree with you completely, port side to the pier, but at least for the most recent return, the ship was on the north side of the pier, bow facing west, stern facing east making lower Manhattan off the starboard bow. Your returns/departures may have been different, just explaining how I experienced it 10 days ago.

Anyway is turns out, you can always move about the decks and see whatever sights you want!;)

Before Red Hook, I do believe QM2 berthed at the West Side (Manhattan)piers (I know at least once she did, as I saw her from the Trump pier on Riverside Park). Is this perhaps what you are recalling?

...seen her there. I've only seen her at Red Hook. But I thought she shared Red Hook because she did not fit elsewhere.

Does she? I guess she must.

Thinking of that. On the way to Penn Station we often drive by the old Cunard pier with the rusty remains of the Cunard name still visible, though nothing else remains. I wonder why someone doesn't take advantage of that opportunity to fix it up.

Before Red Hook, I do believe QM2 berthed at the West Side (Manhattan)piers (I know at least once she did, as I saw her from the Trump pier on Riverside Park). Is this perhaps what you are recalling?

...seen her there. I've only seen her at Red Hook. But I thought she shared Red Hook because she did not fit elsewhere.

Does she? I guess she must.

Thinking of that. On the way to Penn Station we often drive by the old Cunard pier with the rusty remains of the Cunard name still visible, though nothing else remains. I wonder why someone doesn't take advantage of that opportunity to fix it up.

The one time (it could have been the inaugeural call) I saw QM2 at the West Side Piers, her stern was so far into the Hudson they had a police boat permanently stationed aft of her to ensure no river traffic came close. She also towered over the pier itself such that the top three or four decks would have had an unimpeded view of the George Washington Bridge. Oh, that Cunard could berth there always, but the Hudson is not getting appreciably wider, nor is Manhattan getting narrower.

Although, the Red Hook port has plans for expansion, there currently is only one passenger ship berth. When the three Queens were in New York on 13 Jan, the QE2 and the QV were berthed at Manhattan, and on the QE2's Farewell to America crossing, it will leave from Manhattan, as the QM2 will be leaving from Brooklyn for the tandem sailing.

Thank you so much for all of this helpful information. As we get closer I will check the weather, and figure out which of the areas you all suggested look good. I think the suggestion of talking to the butler is a good idea- this does seem like something they should be able to help me with, and I plan to be on the ship early (right at 12:00- which I believe we are allowed to do).

We have not booked a larger duplex yet, but keep debating. I am still concerned about the stairs for dad, but I think it would be really nice having the deck space for events such as these. There seems to be availability so I haven't had to act yet- and the Q5/Q6 cabins look really comfortable.

Archived