Recent experience with paid WiFi package

Poohbeck

We are taking an Alaskan cruise next Saturday (Golden Princess) (I can't believe it's already here) and am now starting to consider the paid WiFi package to stay in touch with some family back home. I am not looking to make phone calls, but, only email or text.

Has anybody had experience with it and can comment? I thought I'd use the WiFi on my phone, but, I can't access WiFi while on Airplane so I can use the iPad instead. If someone knows a trick with that, please let me know as well.

I thought I'd use the WiFi on my phone, but, I can't access WiFi while on Airplane so I can use the iPad instead. If someone knows a trick with that, please let me know as well.
If you're referring to Wi-Fi in Airplane Mode, just turn Wi-Fi on after you've put your phone in Airplane Mode. Cellular calling and data will remain off.

If you're referring to Wi-Fi in Airplane Mode, just turn Wi-Fi on after you've put your phone in Airplane Mode. Cellular calling and data will remain off.

Well, I didn't know that trick and just tried it and it worked perfectly!!! Thank you, thank you!!!

Wifi on the ships is still very S...L...O....W. If you are cruising in Alaska, your data package will be good while in US ports. If you are willing to take a little port time, you may not need to purchase a package at all. And your speed will be amazingly better. In Alaska, you do need to be sure that your phone is not using any Canadian towers--look for the little "roaming" symbol before making a phone call!

Wifi on the ships is still very S...L...O....W. If you are cruising in Alaska' date=' your data package will be good while in US ports. If you are willing to take a little port time, you may not need to purchase a package at all. And your speed will be amazingly better. In Alaska, you do need to be sure that your phone is not using any Canadian towers--look for the little "roaming" symbol before making a phone call![/quote']

Thanks for the heads up on s l o w WiFi. :(

I called Verizon my cell service provider and I'm all set for Candian towers. We traveled to Canada, Niagara Falls, last summer and had no issues.

Thanks for the heads up on s l o w WiFi. :(

I called Verizon my cell service provider and I'm all set for Candian towers. We traveled to Canada, Niagara Falls, last summer and had no issues.

When the ship is sailing, any cell phone usage (internet or calls) will be through the ship's connection and not from US or Canadian providers with cell towers on shore.

When the ship is sailing, any cell phone usage (internet or calls) will be through the ship's connection and not from US or Canadian providers with cell towers on shore.

How does the ship captain or whoever decide when to turn on their tower? I know leaving and arriving into port and various places in the passage/near land you would have service in and out from us/Canada towers.

How does the ship captain or whoever decide when to turn on their tower? I know leaving and arriving into port and various places in the passage/near land you would have service in and out from us/Canada towers.

That's a great question!! I would love to know when I can take my phone off and on airplane mode.

I purchased a calling/text plan through AT&T in case I needed to be reached. Other than the at sea days or much further from the shore I had good signal to email or text. I didn’t have to worry about data roaming when the carrier switched to a Canadian one...I’m covered for data anywhere in North America.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Internet lessons learned on an Alaskan cruise last May:

Satellites hang low in the southern sky, or even below the southern horizon. Docked in Juneau, we

had no internet because the top of Davis Island was in the way. Ditto while cruising Glacier Bay.

Sailing west from Seattle, the ship could still use the MEO satellites and full-up video streaming

worked. After we turned north, the MEO satellites dropped below the horizon, and bandwidth

shriveled.

If you're using Android on your phone, turning on "Airplane Mode" turns off WiFi, but doesn't lock it

out. Simply turn it back on.

Finally, if you're on an "unlimited minutes" shipboard internet plan, and your carrier supports "WiFi

Calling", turn it on (under Connections -> Advanced Calling), and your calls and texts will be routed

for free via the internet ...and stop working when you exit the Juan de Fuca Straits and turn north.