I've created a monster

TheCalicoCat

My son has only been on 2 cruises & both of those were out of Baltimore. (Not Florida where seeing cruise ships is not so novel.)

The other day we went to Baltimore to see Ft. McHenry & passed by a cruise ship in port - my son sure was disappointed to find out that we were not going on a cruise!

My DS is almost 3 (end of April). Around Xmas he announced he wants to go to warm beach SOON, brought out a model of Crown Princess and informed us how he is getting there :)

After 2 weeks of showing mommy where our next cabin should be, we booked Feb cruise.

What can I say, cruise diva in training...

My DS is almost 3 (end of April). Around Xmas he announced he wants to go to warm beach SOON, brought out a model of Crown Princess and informed us how he is getting there :)

After 2 weeks of showing mommy where our next cabin should be, we booked Feb cruise.

What can I say, cruise diva in training...

Too cute!!

My son has been talking his kindergarten's class off about going on the big ship, what they have there, etc etc.

Gotta love it!

My 5 year old has been cruising since she was 6 months old - we even took her to the Med when she was 3. Anyway, she "set-up" this cruise with HER requirements since it was her Spring Break, DOWN TO THE CRUISELINE and where we are going....

Now our 18-month old will be on his second cruise and his eyes light up when you say CRUISE! :D

Kids are so cute! My DD(10) is a true crusing diva and has a hat saying so.:cool: She loves to be waited on, not something done at home. Last cruise the bartenders knew her by name and what she wanted (Lime smoothies) She also thinks every cruise she gets a new formal dress weather she needs it or not. LOL

I asked Baby_G (DD) whether she had talked with anyone at school about going on "Her" Designed Cruise and she said no. I was like, "Wow, really? It's all you ever talk about at home."

Her answer: "It depresses me to discuss such an exciting upcoming event with children who don't understand how much time, effort, and fun it will be."

THIS ANSWER FROM A 5 YEAR OLD! FOFL.

Ahhhhhh......children. :p

Her answer: "It depresses me to discuss such an exciting upcoming event with children who don't understand how much time, effort, and fun it will be."

My kinda kid!!! My son is 5 and getting ready to go on his 5th cruise. He loves cruising and is disappointed if we take land vacations!!!

I asked Baby_G (DD) whether she had talked with anyone at school about going on "Her" Designed Cruise and she said no. I was like, "Wow, really? It's all you ever talk about at home."

THIS ANSWER FROM A 5 YEAR OLD! FOFL.

Ahhhhhh......children. :p

That's hilarious! Love it!:D

DS says "kiss dolphin".... and then goes through the entire family making sure we all remember that we kissed the dolphin too... about twice a day on average. This is from a cruise in October. I guess there is only one thing to do... ;)

I think this means we are all really good parents, right? :D

DS says "kiss dolphin".... and then goes through the entire family making sure we all remember that we kissed the dolphin too... about twice a day on average. This is from a cruise in October. I guess there is only one thing to do... ;)

I think this means we are all really good parents, right? :D

I love your photo scrolling thing in your signature! ! !

DS2 (who is now 4 yrs) gives me "dolphin kisses" like the ones we got from the real dolphins :) My Facebook profile pic is my two boys giving me dolphin kisses, one on each cheek! Some memories are priceless.

Our current issue is we usually have a trip booked, and right now we don't. So the boys keep asking about our next ship, how big the waterslides will be, where the kids pool is, and how close the cabin is to the restaurants!

Sometimes I feel bad because we live in an area that is very diverse socioeconomically, and my children have many luxuries where others are struggling to get by. I really hope my boys understand how good they have it...

Sometimes I feel bad because we live in an area that is very diverse socioeconomically' date=' and my children have many luxuries where others are struggling to get by. I really hope my boys understand how good they have it...[/quote']

I understand completely. I think one of the most tangible benefits of traveling with children is that they get to see how the other 90% lives. Our DD will be turning 8 on our upcoming March cruise to Central America and has asked if she can take some toys she doesn't play with anymore to give to the kids she might meet when we stop at various ports. I've convinced her we can get some small things at the local dollar store to hand out and give her toys from home to local charities, since there are plenty of kids living in poverty right here in Georgia.

We've also been careful to explain to her that a lot of her friends haven't had the opportunities to travel that she has had, and that she should appreciate the fact that at her age she has seen more of the world than her 65-year-old grandmother. Over the years we've met a number of people who think we're crazy for taking her all of the places we have, but I can see how it has broadened her horizons and opened her mind, and that's all the justification I need :)

I understand completely. I think one of the most tangible benefits of traveling with children is that they get to see how the other 90% lives.

Exactly! I just hope they realize that some of those people are in their own back yard.

This from the one who sent her DS1 to school wearing his brand new all star jersey today...

I understand completely. I think one of the most tangible benefits of traveling with children is that they get to see how the other 90% lives. Our DD will be turning 8 on our upcoming March cruise to Central America and has asked if she can take some toys she doesn't play with anymore to give to the kids she might meet when we stop at various ports. I've convinced her we can get some small things at the local dollar store to hand out and give her toys from home to local charities, since there are plenty of kids living in poverty right here in Georgia.

We've also been careful to explain to her that a lot of her friends haven't had the opportunities to travel that she has had, and that she should appreciate the fact that at her age she has seen more of the world than her 65-year-old grandmother. Over the years we've met a number of people who think we're crazy for taking her all of the places we have, but I can see how it has broadened her horizons and opened her mind, and that's all the justification I need :)

We have taken school supplies with us when visiting the Western Carribean. The smiles on those kids faces when you give them some paper and a 25 cent box of crayons was priceless. My DD was wowed by it all and it hummbled her. They wouldn't even begin to know what a iPod was. She realizes how good she has it. Even the kids in our town don't get to travel like she does.

Our 2 boys (aged 9 and 6) had a great time on their first cruise as well. They always ask us when we are going to go again. Unfortunately for them mommy and daddy want alone time and we will be sailing without them in April. They do not know this yet, I do feel bad because I know they'll be upset when they hear they're not coming. We'll just have to book another cruise for the 4 of us for next year! :)

Exactly! I just hope they realize that some of those people are in their own back yard.

This from the one who sent her DS1 to school wearing his brand new all star jersey today...

Don't feel bad - I volunteer for a science enrichment program in the local public schools, but put my kid in private schools because ultimately the public schools here are so bad. It's an ongoing dilemma, I think - raising a socially conscious child and yet wanting to give them all the advantages you can (as well as some "nice to haves" that we can afford that perhaps others can't).

We've sought out local charitably organizations that help people who live in our community, and try to get involved with those. It has helped DD realize that there are poor and disadvantaged people everywhere, not just in "third world countries." The fact that you realize how lucky your kids are and want them to realize it as well speaks volumes to me about how wonderful of a parent you are :)

We have taken school supplies with us when visiting the Western Carribean. The smiles on those kids faces when you give them some paper and a 25 cent box of crayons was priceless. My DD was wowed by it all and it hummbled her. They wouldn't even begin to know what a iPod was. She realizes how good she has it. Even the kids in our town don't get to travel like she does.

This is an excellent idea - thanks! I'm definitely going to do this. :)

Don't feel bad - I volunteer for a science enrichment program in the local public schools, but put my kid in private schools because ultimately the public schools here are so bad. It's an ongoing dilemma, I think - raising a socially conscious child and yet wanting to give them all the advantages you can (as well as some "nice to haves" that we can afford that perhaps others can't).

We've sought out local charitably organizations that help people who live in our community, and try to get involved with those. It has helped DD realize that there are poor and disadvantaged people everywhere, not just in "third world countries." The fact that you realize how lucky your kids are and want them to realize it as well speaks volumes to me about how wonderful of a parent you are :)

I completely hear what you're saying! From what I understand, the school situation here is quite different ;) We're lucky, our local elementary school is very good but we still help out: my parents volunteer every week in DS2's kindergarten class and I go alternate Fridays to DS1's class. They need the help! I'm a product of a private school, and I have to say in some ways it was good, others not so much. University was eye opening, in a good way, and I don't want my boys to wait that long to understand how good they have it in life.

We too contribute to local charities in our community, the boys understand we buy extra groceries for the food bank, get extra presents at Christmas for the angel tree etc but without actually seeing the people receiving these donations I think it's hard for them to realize people in our community need this support. I need to think more on this one.

This has been a thought provoking conversation! :)

I've been taking some "heck" from my DD's band director.

She's 16YO and a HS Sophomore - she is on the band student council. Her HS's band is talking about what parades to apply for for 2014 -- DD indicated her preferences (pro and con) and put the Christmas parade in Honulu on the bottom of her list. She was the only one with that one on the bottom. The director asked her why and she said that she "really wasn't thrilled with Oahu and if she was going back to Hawaii she'd prefer Kauai or the big island."

We too contribute to local charities in our community' date=' the boys understand we buy extra groceries for the food bank, get extra presents at Christmas for the angel tree etc but without actually seeing the people receiving these donations I think it's hard for them to realize people in our community need this support. I need to think more on this one.

This has been a thought provoking conversation! :)[/quote']

Yeah, our experience has been that it's hard to find charitable activities for kids younger than high school where they actually interact with the people whom the charity is benefiting. I can understand why, though - I'm not sure my DD at 7 has the maturity to tactfully interact with someone who's down on their luck, so to speak.

Archived