Just off Triumph

Sooz

OMG What a cruise this one was. This was our third time on the Triumph in 11 months and each time has been great but this one takes the cake. I will give you some details here but will write a full review later. We met a bunch of really nice CC folks on the cruise, thanks to Storm'n Norman putting together different meet and greet things and the sail away bubble party. The ship looks great new carpet and all. Some of the regular staff was off on vacation but alot of the folks we have come to know were still there which is always nice. ED ROCKS YOU GOTTA SEE!!!!!!!! This guy made the cruise for us. He only does cruises when he is on vacation from his "other" job. He plays in the piano bar and can this guy play!. It is all sing along stuff everyone knows and he is funny as all get out. The food was the same but is changing with this next cruise. They are making it more "American" T bone steaks, Crab legs and such. As for John Heald and please dont jump me here guys ,this is just MHO I did not think he was as hot as everyone makes him out to be. He is funny yes but so were the other cruise directors we have had.He seems to forget where he is in the things he is doing or saying.Again just MHO....As for the staff in general , I do not think they were as friendly or as visable as they have been on past cruises. This was not not only very apparent to me but my 17 year old son made several comments to me about it as well. Service was good but the staff , in general just was not as friendly as we have known them to be in the past.This included the bar tenders, bar wait staff, social hosts, cooks in the South Beach, and the information desk. No smiling faces to be seen on most of them. On the past cruises we have done even the cleaning folks would smile at you and say hello, not this time. Anyway,that did not make or break the cruise,it was a great cruise and everyone in our group of 6 had a wonderful unforgetable time. And yes I would go on the Triumph again for a fourth time in a heart beat.She is a great ship to cruise on.

Looking forward to more, wife and I and another couple are booked for September. I like your attitude about not letting some unfriendliness of the staff not bothering you. You went to relax and enjoy yourself. Very interested in the menu change if you have more info.

Beerman, If you go to the Carnival web site and check out the Triumph there are samples of the new menu there. Our waiter in the London dining room told us it is really a great one with fewer things you never heard of. As for the staff, it was just an observation that to us who had cruised in the resent past on this ship noticed right away.It had nothing to do with how much fun we had. I love this ship and would not cruise so much on it if it were not so much fun.I give it an A but would have given an A+ if the staff had been as friendly as they had been as on past cruises. I agree with you about attitude. You make your own fun on a cruise. Either you go to the shows,clubs and chill out having a great time or you find things to complain about ....there truely is something for everyone to do on this ship.

The link to the menu looks like the menu for the alternative dining that you pay for. I do not believe that this is the regular dining room menu.

Gordon

http://community.webshots.com/user/cruisingator

NCL Starward-86, Starship Atlantic-91, Caribe-92, Seabreeze-93, Fantasy-93, Norway-94, Celebration-94, Sensation-95, Imagination-96, Destiny-97, Celebration-98, Triumph-99, Victory-00, Majesty of the Seas-01, Fascination-01, Carnival Pride-02, Majesty of the Seas-02, Carnival Legend-02, Fantasy 7-03, Glory 9-03, Fantasy 11-03, Triumph 3/04.

9/02/2004 Fantasy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=808000&cdt=2004;9;2;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Navigator of the Seas 12/04/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;12;04;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I was on like the 2nd. voyage of the Triumph back in 99 and the Piano bar was the hottest spot to be after 10PM. I have not been on another cruise yet that rocked like that one so I wonder if it was that Ed cat. That kind of sounds right.

Celebration 11/17/96

Fantasy 6/97

Triumph 10/30/99

Majesty 10/27/00

Pride 2/9/02

Millennium 10/02

Legend 11/8/02

Carnival Sensation 7/15/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;7;15;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

We to are just off the Triumph. Im not sure how friendly most of them could be working for peanuts for 12 hurs a day. If you noticed, most of femail waiting staff were from East European countrys becuase they can get away with paying them very low wages and working them at least 12 hours a day. No way would Americans work for that. We were in the London dining room and they all seemed very friendly and proffesional anyway. If im really honest, I did expect more. This was our first cruise and I think I was expecting it to be more glamorous. After speaking to lots of other people on board, we now realise that this and most other Carnival ships are catering to the masses. We were told if we wanted something a little more upmarket, Royal Caribean might be a better choice? I would like to hear other opinions on that.

Oh, and just to be contoversial, I hope they ban smoking altogether on Cruises icon_cool.gif

Also, I did get really fed up of the constant anouncments about crap jewellery on sale, or Bingo in the Rome lounge. I also did not find John Heald or wee jimmy funny at all.

[This message was edited by Florida Phil @ the Bag Lady on 05-16-04 at 06:55 PM.]

All mass market lines cater to the "masses". Royal Caribbean is no exception. Their Voyager class ships hold around 3500 passengers. Other mass market lines include Princess, NCL and to some extent Celebrity and Holland America. If you are looking for a more formal atmosphere then I would look at something like Celebrity or HAL. There service is supposed to be a cut above the other mass market lines.

Also on the mass market lines you will have the daily annoucements for bingo, inch of gold, art auctions, etc. They do get old but I have just learned to tune them out.

The people that work on the ships do so because the pay is much better than they can get in their own country. Some of the waiters and room stewards make a good living due to the tips that we the passengers give. The turnover rate is low on cruise ships. For every person that leaves, there is another twenty ready to take their position. The crew know this too. If the cruise lines had to pay US wages then we would be paying much much more to cruise.

Gordon

http://community.webshots.com/user/cruisingator

NCL Starward-86, Starship Atlantic-91, Caribe-92, Seabreeze-93, Fantasy-93, Norway-94, Celebration-94, Sensation-95, Imagination-96, Destiny-97, Celebration-98, Triumph-99, Victory-00, Majesty of the Seas-01, Fascination-01, Carnival Pride-02, Majesty of the Seas-02, Carnival Legend-02, Fantasy 7-03, Glory 9-03, Fantasy 11-03, Triumph 3/04.

9/02/2004 Fantasy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=808000&cdt=2004;9;2;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Navigator of the Seas 12/04/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;12;04;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

that sample menu I have to agree with cruisingator2 is from the pay alternate dining room. i have had two items off them and they were good.

<font SIZE="1">Click here for my Cruise Pics</font>

<font SIZE="1">***PROUD MEMBER O.A.T.C.***</font>

royalsmallwide.gif

saintsinners.gif

Miracle.gif

valorvampires.gif

<font SIZE="1">Opinions expressed by the poster are not necessarily the opinions of Cruise Critic or the Independent Traveler.

They might not even be the opinion of the poster, being he may be out of his mind at the time</font>

Atom.gif

I will be sailing on the Trimuph in 20 days! I'd like to know from other what excursions they offer for San Juan. I realize we arrive at 5pm on a Monday and leave at midnight. I can't imagine many places would be open at that time. Please let me know how things work at this port of call.

[This message was edited by Dojomo on 05-16-04 at 07:53 PM.]

Florida Phil, I never said John Heald was not funny he is very funny in MHO. What I said was He is NO BETTER THAN the other cruise directors we have had and I dont get what the big deal is that people make about him. As for the sevice it was great,it was just my observation that the staff was not as friendly as they were the last 2 times we were on the Triumph. As for being underpaid and working long hours there are lots of folks right here in the US that are in the same boat who work like dogs and hold down 2 or more jobs. But that does not keep them from smiling and bring friendly to others.

I've always had mixed feelings about the staff situation on cruise ships. I was lucky enough to work as an entertainer and we had the best hours of anyone with decent pay. My best buddy has worked for years for RCI - first as front desk guest relations and now as HR for crew onboard so I've really seen a lot of "behind the scene" stuff. Guests are not allowed in crew quarters so most will never see the cramped cabins of the "lowest" workers - the guys working the engine rooms, laundry etc. They are mainly from the Philippines or China and usually sleep 4 to a room. Their work conditions are hellish - to put it mildly - and for our standards the pay sucks. However, as was pointed out, it's often far more than they earn at home (I was told pay there is often $1 a day in the factories) so they put up with it. My mixed feelings come because I know when I cruise so cheaply (like on Carnival) it's on the backs of these people and I feel guilty about it.

Regarding upscale cruises - my buddy (the one who works for RCI) just got back from a Transatlantic crossing on the QE 2 and he said it's TOTALLY different than cruising RCI, Carnival, Princess etc. He loved it. He said there are NO glitzy Broadway type shows, no endless bellyflop, hairy chest, napkin folding activities but rather interesting lectures by (for ex.) the music critic of the London Times. The busiest spot was the beautiful ship's library and most of the passengers spent the days reading and relaxing in quiet elegance. The food is out of this world, according to him, and cannot compare with the mid-level lines. The passengers are also an entirely different class of people and many who where onboard had been sailing for months as the QE 2 was doing a world cruise.

I'm not sure where cruise lines get the idea that just because you can't afford $2000+ per person for a weeks cruise you want a circus atmosphere on board. I could definitely live without the constant hoopla but also have to travel budget so guess that's what I get, hehe.

Pictures are now on webshots from our May 8 Triumph Cruise. icon_smile.gif

http://community.webshots.com/user/mlholimon

Mary Lynn

Proud Member of O.A.T.C.

a-angel.gif

OH HELL, WHERE IS MY SECRETARY???

cruiseship01.gif

Windjammer Flying Cloud 8/78

Windjammer Fantome (deceased) 8/80

Big Red Boat 4/93

Holiday 4/95

Celebration 4/96

Sovereign of the Seas 10/98

Sensation 4/99

Jubilee 7/01

Victory 1/02

Pride 11/02

Triumph (Joe McBlow cruise) 1/03

Spirit 2/03

Inspiration 2/03

RCL Explorer of the Seas 6/03

Princess Star 10/03

Victory 2/04

Triumph 5/04

Miracle 2/05

Days til Miracle Partae Pirates Cruise from Tampa

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;02;13;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

partaepiratessmallsmall.gif?mtbrand=AOL_US

If the people working from other countries--could it be a culture thing? Maybe them not smiling or saying anything is the old seen not heard philosophy?

Anyway totally changing gears--do they have "Funvision" on the Triumph?

7/17 ON MY WAY TO TRIUMPH CRUISE

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;7;17;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Anyway totally changing gears--do they have "Funvision" on the Triumph?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes they do have Funvision onboard. As soon as we got into our cabin at 1pm I booked our shore excursions for San Juan and St. Martin. We already knew before we boarded what we going to do for excursions thru the ship. Much easier than waiting for the talks if you already know what you want to do.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;5;8;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Since the Eastern Caribbean on the Triumph

"TRIUMPH CRUISIN KRAZY CARIBE CREW - 8th May 2004"

Carnival Triumph 5/04

Sensation 10/02

Carnival Triumph 1/02

Royal Majesty 5/97

"The Big Red Boat" 10/87

bar22.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sooz:

Florida Phil, I never said John Heald was not funny he is very funny in MHO. What I said was He is NO BETTER THAN the other cruise directors we have had and I dont get what the big deal is that people make about him. As for the sevice it was great,it was just my observation that the staff was not as friendly as they were the last 2 times we were on the Triumph. As for being underpaid and working long hours there are lots of folks right here in the US that are in the same boat who work like dogs and hold down 2 or more jobs. But that does not keep them from smiling and bring friendly to others.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess having grown up in England, I have heard all the very old jokes the John told. He is a very typical "Working mans club" type comedian, nothing wrong with that, just been there, done that. Also I could not believe that so many people were queing up to by those fake rings and all the italian gold that is rubbish. I will probably try Carnival again some day, I going to give Royal Caribean a try very soon. Im hooked.

Sooz...I'm a pianist and I met Ed on the Pride in April '03...he was a cocktail pianist on our voyage...we went into one of the lounges that wasn't being used and we played until 3:30 AM...GREAT guy.

Also you being from Orlando can get to St. Petersburg fairly easily...It's worth a trip to go see Mele, who used to do piano bar for Carnival but now only does fill ins and works in bars there. Her schedule is here:

www.mele.cc

Fantasy 6/1999

Imagination 3/2000

Carnival Triumph 4/2001

Fantasy 6/2001

Carnival Pride 4/2003

Inspiration 4/2004

Perhaps someone can help me with this question. My Mother just got back from the West Carribean cruise on the Triumph. As mentioned above, I was on the East cruise the week before with her and other family members. On the East cruise, we listed to John Heald telling eveyone the St Thomas was the best place for Jewellery. Last week on the West, he was telling people that Cozumel was the cheapest and that St Thomas "Used" to be the cheapest?

Also, it seems that the act is exactly the same, even 'Willy Banger was on stage again with his pants around his ankles. Instead of Nebraska on the East taking the brunt of many jokes, last week it was Virginia. Same act, same jokes, same crap. I hope I dont have to see John Heald or that idiot Scotsman on a cruise ever again. Criusers are being told what ever it takes to get them to part with even more money. People are being conned.

Since Cozumel is not on the intinerary on the Eastern route it is irrelevant whether St. Thomas is cheaper or Cozumel is cheaper. Every cruiseline has its marketing interests and it is part of the cruise directors job (all cruise directors regardless of who they are) to pitch these marketing interests based on the itinerary it is on that week. We as individuals can make up our own minds as to whether or not we elect to spend our money there.

As far as seeing the same act on back to back trips on the same ship I don't think there is any ship that changes its shows every week. Probably 99% of the people on a given weeks cruise will not be travelling the next week on the same ship. Most people will not be on a cruise again for over a year let alone on the same ship. The ships do the same acts every week. Kind of like a show or play running in any given city. If you go to a show or play 2 nights in a row you will see the exact same thing.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;5;8;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Carnival Triumph 5/04

Sensation 10/02

Carnival Triumph 1/02

Royal Majesty 5/97

"The Big Red Boat" 10/87

bar22.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I guess having grown up in England, I have heard all the very old jokes the John told. He is a very typical "Working mans club" type comedian, nothing wrong with that, just been there, done that. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for your unique point of view on John Held. Maybe that's why I didn't find the late night adult comedian all that funny. I can see that sort of thing every night on Comedy Central. But as a "Yank" i found John and Wee Jimmy very entertaining. Even when I knew what was comming I still laughed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I hope I dont have to see John Heald or that idiot Scotsman on a cruise ever again. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel. All I can say is you've come to the right place. With John and Jimmy's fan base on these boards you should be able to figure out where they're going to be and plan your next cruise accordingly.

By the way, you're not related to Simon Cowell are you?

No longer a Newbie

since my first cruise with The TRIUMPH'S CRUISIN KRAZY CARIBE CREW

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>By the way, you're not related to Simon Cowell are you? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Outstanding Codfish, Outstanding. icon_biggrin.gif

For the record. I found myself very entertained with John and Wee Jimmy. Nothing wrong with letting your hair down and enjoying a little silly entertainment. I spent some time with "Nebraska" and his wife onboard. Very nice people enjoying their 6th wedding anniversary on their 2nd Carnival cruise. They were very willing participants and had fun doing it. Life is too short, some people just can't lighten up to enjoy it. icon_rolleyes.gif

Carnival Triumph 5/04

Sensation 10/02

Carnival Triumph 1/02

Royal Majesty 5/97

"The Big Red Boat" 10/87

bar22.gif

I am very excited about our upcoming Triumph cruise. Good to hear that "most" everyone enjoyed their time on the cruise, and, we look forward to seeing John Heald because we HAVEN'T seen or heard his jokes. Just hope he's on our 6/19 cruise!

Carnival Triumph Here We Come!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;06;19;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Archived