Taxi cost at Mahogany Bay?

beckyjohns

Does anyone know what the taxi rates are outside the gate at Mahogany Bay to West Bay? I know the taxis within the gates charge $20 per person each way. I also know that I can book a private tour with Victor or Rony. I'm just wondering what a taxi rate would be if I exit the gates and head "over the hill."

I was just there last month and wanted a taxi to West Bay beach. The taxi inside they gate was too expensive for me, $45/each way for 3PAX. A security guard told me to walk down the drive.

There was a yellow line painted across the drive; outside tour operators/vendors/taxis must remain beyond the yellow line to keep the competition for Carnival outside the Mahogany Bay gated compound.

I chose the guy holding a Rony's sign as I recognized the name from CC. Don't know if he was really Rony or just a crony. I'd imagine many of the others were VB's drivers.

I explained we just wanted to go to West Bay beach and was quoted a price much lower than the price inside the gate. I waited a little bit to see if he could drum up more business and he called in a taxi driver for us. The price was round-trip and the driver stays with you for the day.

West Bay beach is quite a distance (1/2 hour?)

Our driver took us to the Mayan Princess resort, well known name that I recognized from CC. We were offered entrance to the MP or a cheaper resort next door; chose $10pp w/child free compared to $25pp at MP.

Our resort was fine, definitely nice to escape the crowds at Mahogany Bay.

I rejected the $90/round-trip taxi inside the gate and walked down the drive to find the taxi from Ronys for $50/round-trip. The driver does hang around the resort. I ended up giving him $5 to get something to drink and later on gave him $10 to eat as I felt a little guilty. I also gave him a $10 tip upon our return to the ship. Even after all that he was cheaper than the driver inside the gate.

Walking outside the gate and approaching all those drivers is a little intimidating but was definitely the thing to do at Roatan. They are permitted to drop you off inside the gate.

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. We will be there next week and after spending many hours plying this board, I still dont have enough info to be confident that our day in Roatan is well planned for smooth sailing when we get there. Your info was a great help for peace of mind that the taxi's is not a total rip off in Roatan.

I read somewhere that the taxi fares every year just go up and up, it seems most tourists just pay any price quoted to get them to West Bay.

We just want an inexpensive beach day and we actually prefer to ride in the local jitney / collectivo's to get more of a local flavour.

I was looking at maps of the island and the roads and the distances.

Here is a good map : http://roatanet.com/travel/roatan-distances.php

Mahogany Bay is between Brick Bay and Dixon Cove.

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. We will be there next week and after spending many hours plying this board, I still dont have enough info to be confident that our day in Roatan is well planned for smooth sailing when we get there. Your info was a great help for peace of mind that the taxi's is not a total rip off in Roatan.

I read somewhere that the taxi fares every year just go up and up, it seems most tourists just pay any price quoted to get them to West Bay.

We just want an inexpensive beach day and we actually prefer to ride in the local jitney / collectivo's to get more of a local flavour.

I was looking at maps of the island and the roads and the distances.

Here is a good map : http://roatanet.com/travel/roatan-distances.php

Mahogany Bay is between Brick Bay and Dixon Cove.

The infrastructure in Roatan is terrible. The roads are in terrible condition and the potholes are awful. You definitely can't walk the island, it's a must to hire a driver. We used a company called At Your Service Roatan and Sue-Ann was wonderful during our recent visit while cruising on the Carnival Legend. She's also on facebook. You can contact them for their prices.

Archived