Can I take my suit carrier as carry on luggage if over guidance?

Bikermouse72

If anyone could help I'd really appreciate it. I've just checked the measurements for my Thomas Cook flight to Barbados with P&O cruises and the measurement for my suit/dress bag is larger by 5cm than the carry on guidance (guidance is 55cm and my bag is 60cm), as I usually don't take any carry on luggage I'm not sure how strict the airlines are with this and I don't know whether I should risk taking the bag or not? I don't really want to put my formal dresses in my suitcase but neither do I want to pay extra at the airport either :(, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bikermouse

My only comment would be that the overhead lockers get crammed full on these flights I don't think you will want your dresses in there, they will be worse than if checked in your case in my opinion.

I agree with the above. Unless your suit carrier has hard sides I wouldn't take it as hand luggage. I've always packed dresses/long skirts in polythene and folded over in a case. My husband's dinner suit likewise and have never had any creasing problems. Seeing how things get stuffed into the overhead lockers I certainly wouldn't want to trust a suit carrier to one.

Thank you CCPM and Annieuk,

I hadn't thought about that and you're both right, I have seen some crowding in the overhead lockers and would rather know my dresses were safe in the hold. Thanks for answering my question, the dresses will go in my suitcase, just means I'll have to take less shoes :)

Thanks again,

Bikermouse

Thank you CCPM and Annieuk,

I hadn't thought about that and you're both right, I have seen some crowding in the overhead lockers and would rather know my dresses were safe in the hold. Thanks for answering my question, the dresses will go in my suitcase, just means I'll have to take less shoes :)

Thanks again,

Bikermouse

If you don’t normally take any hand luggage then pop your shoes in a bag and carry them on.

I would recommend you break your rule and do take carry-on hand luggage this time with a few essentials. Sometimes your cases do not reach your cabin until about 10pm.

Thanks Marylizcat, I've been offered some good advice and will be taking a carry on bag with a few essentials (probably mostly shoes!). I've heard people suggest taking bathing suit, towel etc so you can start to enjoy the facilities as soon as you board. I don't usually like to have much baggage to carry at the airport but it does make sense to use the extra baggage allowance.

Thanks for the tip,

Bikermouse

Thanks Marylizcat, I've been offered some good advice and will be taking a carry on bag with a few essentials (probably mostly shoes!). I've heard people suggest taking bathing suit, towel etc so you can start to enjoy the facilities as soon as you board. I don't usually like to have much baggage to carry at the airport but it does make sense to use the extra baggage allowance.

Thanks for the tip,

Bikermouse

Swimsuit a good idea, but don't bother with a towel. Pool towels are provided, usually already in your cabin with P&O.