must you be an italian to be a ship officer on a carnival ship

KEITJE

All of the Captains in Carnival's current fleet are Italian as are their subordinate officers involved in the sailing of the vessel. Some of the engineering officers are Italian but others are not. None of the officers involved in the Hotel side have been Italian on any of our cruises but some could be.

I don't know the reason for this but I suspect it could be associated with the construction of the ships themselves. With the exception of the four Spirit class ships, all of the Carnival fleet was built in Italy. Perhaps it is easier and/or less expensive to paper Italian officers for Italian built ships.

All of the Captains in Carnival's current fleet are Italian as are their subordinate officers involved in the sailing of the vessel...

I don't know the reason for this but I suspect it could be associated with the construction of the ships themselves. With the exception of the four Spirit class ships, all of the Carnival fleet was built in Italy.

Unfortunately, I can't remember where I read it so I can't give an exact citation, however, Arison was used to working with Italian Captains in his pre-Carnival days.

By the way, the Fantasy class ships were built at the Kvaerner Masa yards in Helsinki, Finland where the Spirit class and the other Project 8000 ships. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aker_Finnyards )

Thankyou for the correction phroggie. I was under the impression that the Fantasy class ships were built at Fincantieri also. I've never heard this story about Mickey Arison before but I have never heard a good explanation for the Italian officers either. It's an interesting question.:)

Archived