Heathrow Terminal 2 arrival

Many North American flights arrive LHR in the morning. We went through terminal 5 a few times. We took the train to Gate A to clear the immigration that usually take 45 minutes. This time we arrive terminal 2 at 10 a.m. How long should I expect to get out of the airport?

I'm not a user of T2, let alone having any detailed knowledge of how it is at different times of the day - but at all LHR terminals I generally expect people to get out in about 45-60 minutes. The potential bottlenecks at any terminal are immigration and baggage delivery, but the two processes run in parallel leaving you with the same general bracket (which is, of course, subject to random variations).

To put that in perspective, the immigration service level target is less than 45 minutes 95% of the time. And they do hit that quite well, despite the horror stories you will read. But when things go wrong it can rapidly escalate because of the sheer numbers landing at LHR all day, every day.

I’m not a regular T2 user either, but unlike T5 there are no transits to satellite gates, but some long walks instead. I think the international flights land at the 2B satellite and there’s a walkway connecting to the main building.

Sent from my iPad using Forums