UK Travel Birmingham area not involving a cruise...

The title says most of it!

I have a business trip to the UK next month (June 2018) that will take me to Tamworth for a week. My wife is tagging along, and we plan to spend 3 night in Birmingham after the meeting (currently booked at the Marriott Birmingham) and then take the train to London for 3 nights at the Marriott Park Lane (Mayfair/Marble Arch area). I'll be packed heavy with 1-2 business suits, and for this meeting, a tux and accouterments. Fun stuff.

At this point, although not inexpensive, I'm planning to book a minicab, probably through minicabit (anyone have a better booking source?), from Heathrow to Tamworth as getting there by train requires going into London with luggage and at least one transportation change, plus a cab in Tamworth, etc., so we may not save much over a minicab anyway.

From Birmingham (the Marriott is because I travel a lot with Marriott and have status; open to other ideas if that's not a good location, etc.), we're thinking explore Birmingham a bit, day trip by train to Stratford-upon-Avon, and probably look for a tour to the Cotswalds (although I'm open to renting a car and dealing with driving on the left). We'd then take the train back to London and either cab (most likely) or Tube it to the hotel (trying to figure that out; Google Maps takes me to Euston and then the Tube to Marble Arch; don't know if that's the best if I'm willing to pay for a cab once I'm in London). The hotel's a short cab ride to Paddington, so most likely Express back to Heathrow for our flight home.

I am open to comments on any or all of this, other than the flight to and from Heathrow and the need to be in Tamworth. (and the London Marriott is on points, so I'm probably sticking with that as well) We've spent plenty of time in London, so the opportunity to see some other areas is attractive. And I probably really need help with the train from Birminham. We'd leave later in the morning to miss commuters and be able to manage bags. I'd probably consider a car service if it's not too bad (minicabit is GBP 150 or so). Not sure if there are other reasonable options? National Express from Heathrow isn't really helpful as it leaves hours after we arrive. Haven't really looked for return options from Birmingham.

Thanks!

Why not rent a car from Heathrow for the trip up to Tamworth? Trains tend to need to go via London for your route which as you say isn’t very convenient. I assume you can’t fly into Birmingham?

If you did that you could drive back and drop car at Heathrow then express it to Paddington.

Otherwise train Birmingham to London is decent (make sure you get the virgin one to Euston if time a factor - there is a slower service from moor street station in Birmingham to Marlylebone). If you prebook travel it should be inexpensive if you miss the early morning times but bear in mind you have to get the specific booked train. First class more comfortable and often not too much more expensive. Try looking on http://www.thetrainline.com to book tickets.

The flight into Birmingham was much more expensive than the flight into Heathrow. Because of that, the company will pick up the car service but probably not the car rental. Renting a car in Birmingham and dropping it off at Heathrow is an option on the return, and we’d have a car to explore the Cotswolds. That part of the trip is on me.

Not so sure you will enjoy 3 days in Birmingham. It is a fairly industrial large city. But...There are some great places nearby.

Check out Ironbridge...a beautiful town/village where the industrial revolution "started" - so many cute places to visit

Warwick Castle !!

Not so sure you will enjoy 3 days in Birmingham. It is a fairly industrial large city. But...There are some great places nearby.

Check out Ironbridge...a beautiful town/village where the industrial revolution "started" - so many cute places to visit

Warwick Castle !!

That is a concern I've had. Is there somewhere else in the area that makes sense to home base for 2-3 days?

Personally I would head straight to London. There are interesting places around Birmingham but much more to see in and around London if you've never been there before. Plus you have the added draw of all the theatre shows that are available. You could also take day trips out to outlying areas from there if you wanted.

There is lots to see and do in and around Birmingham. Theatres, concert halls, galleries, The Jewellery Quarter, museums, the canals at Brindley Place with old pubs, restaurants and coffee shops. Not to mention world class restaurants for just about any cuisine you can think of.

Stratford upon Avon is a short train ride away, or go to the Black Country Museum for a dose of more recent history.

Birmingham is not the boring industrial city it used to be

The flight into Birmingham was much more expensive than the flight into Heathrow. Because of that, the company will pick up the car service but probably not the car rental. Renting a car in Birmingham and dropping it off at Heathrow is an option on the return, and we’d have a car to explore the Cotswolds. That part of the trip is on me.

Gotcha. Well I’d check the cost of a one way rental vs just hiring for your Birmingham travel. You might want to check rental from Birmingham airport which is an easy train from the centre (station Birmingham international) as airport rental could be cheaper.

Train Birmingham to London is easy (and you won’t want to drive into central London so you’ll have to do the Heathrow to London bit anyway).

Renting a car in Birmingham and dropping it off at Heathrow is an option on the return, and we’d have a car to explore the Cotswolds.
While there's nothing wrong with the idea of renting a car one-way to use it as transport in the Cotswolds and transport to London, I would not write off the idea of bringing the car into London and dropping it off there if (a) it doesn't cost a great deal more than dropping it off at Heathrow; and (b) you try to avoid driving into the Congestion Charge zone if you're doing this on a weekday during the day (as you don't want to have to pay the £11.50 just to drop off the car). What doesn't work is using a car as transport within London, but if you are ending a trip in London and dropping off the car, there is nothing to be frightened of so far as driving is concerned. It's no different from any other big city, and during the week (if that's when you're doing it), most of the drivers on the road are very savvy and situationally aware.

If you drop it off at Heathrow, you then incur a couple of hours in getting yourself from the car rental depot to central London, which is a lot of wasted time. If you really don't want to drive into London proper, then I would take the train into town. From Euston to your London hotel, with luggage, I'd just take a cab.

If you do drive, the best fast route from Birmingham to London is via the M42, M40 and A40. This is the way that you will go if you're stopping in the Cotswolds on the way. Do not be tempted to try the M6 and M1, even if a satnav tells you to go that way: you would be likely to be letting yourself in to a world of pain.

I second Bob++'s comments about Birmingham. I'd add two things: there's some excellent shopping, and Symphony Hall (the home of the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra) is possibly Europe's finest concert hall.

Around the area, you could also note Lichfield (for a beautiful cathedral) and Coventry (for the famous ruins of an old cathedral and a spectacular post-war new one).

And a word about Warwick Castle: It's a place full of history, but it is run by the group that runs Madame Tussaud's and the London Dungeon, amongst other places - so it is as much theme park as historical location. It's fine if you're forewarned, but it can be a bit of a shock if it's not what you're expecting.

Thinking about what you've said, if you've spent plenty of time in London already, I would strongly suggest you think about ditching that and spending the extra time elsewhere. The Cotswolds need more than a glancing drive-through. And you could then also visit Oxford. And other places too.

To throw my tuppence worth in, I’d consider staying in Stratford-upon-Avon. Easy to take the train into Birmingham if you want to spend a day (and I second or third the notion that it’s worth it), or drive to Birmingham International (the train station at the airport) and a quicker train ride in from there. And you are in easier striking distance of my part of the world [emoji6] No Marriott there though, if that’s an important factor because of points.

I would definitely hire a car and drop it off at Birmingham airport and take a train from Birmingham International into Euston. They are quick and you can get some great value booking ahead. I see absolutely no value doing the run to London in a car. And I spend half my life travelling from the north Cotswolds to London!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

To throw my tuppence worth in, I’d consider staying in Stratford-upon-Avon. Easy to take the train into Birmingham if you want to spend a day (and I second or third the notion that it’s worth it), or drive to Birmingham International (the train station at the airport) and a quicker train ride in from there. And you are in easier striking distance of my part of the world [emoji6] No Marriott there though, if that’s an important factor because of points.

I would definitely hire a car and drop it off at Birmingham airport and take a train from Birmingham International into Euston. They are quick and you can get some great value booking ahead. I see absolutely no value doing the run to London in a car. And I spend half my life travelling from the north Cotswolds to London!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That’s an interesting option. Any hotel recommendations? I’m struggling a little with geography and what’s close to what, but that does look interesting. We’d pick up a car when we leave Tamworth, return when we head to London. The Marriott isn’t as important as a decent place, preferably with an elevator (stayed at a place in Salisbury with a business wardrobe in tow and no elevator...).

Thanks! (Now I’m even more confused :).)

OK, I have a backup booking at the Crowne Plaza in Stratford-upon-Avon and will explore our between basing out of there and basing out of Birmingham. Checking out our rental car options to see what makes sense. I can get an Enterprise rental in Tamworth and return to BHX, which probably makes the most sense (as usual, the usual suspects aren't easy to compare; Sixt advertises cars with SATNAV, which I'd like to have. Enterprise rents cars that should have nav, but doesn't offer it separately or explicitly include it.)

• 2 weeks later...

Resurrecting my own dead thread!

Based on comments here, and contact with another acquaintance in the area who informed me the area around the Symphony Hall and Marriott was currently undergoing significant construction and that it was a "no brainer" to stay in Stratford-upon-Avon instead, we're currently going with that plan. We do enjoy London, and want to spend some time there.

My real remaining question at this point is returning a car at BHX to connect to a train out of BHI. From the information on the National Rail site, I'm assuming I'd return the car at the airport, and rather than checking in for a flight, look for signs to the monorail to the train station. Is that correct? How much extra time should I allow for that? We'd likely do advance purchase tickets, which would commit us to a specific train.

Exactly that. You’ll be returning your car to an outside car park about 5 minutes walk from the terminal. Follow signs for first the airport terminal, then rental car drop off - it’s next to car park 4. Watch out for a rather sharp left turn off the last roundabout [emoji846]

The monorail is at the other end of the terminal - if it’s fine I’d walk along the outside of the building, rather than dodge through the passengers inside. You’ll need to go up to the second floor eventually. Very frequent service to the rail station, which is on the same level, only takes a couple of minutes.

All in all it will take you about 15 minutes after dropping off the car (and the drop off is usually very quick in my experience).

And, yes, do book an advance ticket. The walk up fares can be eye watering [emoji44] So give yourself plenty of time - there’s a coffee shop at the station if you have a little while to kill.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

I suggest that you get a satnav on your phone - this will be far cheaper than hiring one from the car rental company. You would also have time to 'play' with it before you get here. Alternatively, you can buy them quite cheaply on eBay and then sell it on after your trip.

I suggest that you get a satnav on your phone - this will be far cheaper than hiring one from the car rental company. You would also have time to 'play' with it before you get here. Alternatively, you can buy them quite cheaply on eBay and then sell it on after your trip.

I've got Google Maps on my phone, which will work fine. We found last summer that Sixt included satnav on their higher end cars. Enterprise normally has it on the same quality cars in the US, just unadvertised as it's a "standard option" on those cars. If it's built in, I'll take it. If not, I have an international roaming package on the phone...

One more, hopefully last, question!

SWMBO is concerned about traveling with luggage from Birmingham to London. We took the cruise train to Harwich a few years ago, and experienced a mostly full train with no luggage racks. That was a mess. What are the trains like from Birmingham? If we're taking a 10:00 train, will our luggage be a problem?