Rental car company with shuttle to POM

PR Cruisers

I am planning to take a cruise from POM next November and stay in Fort Lauderdale for the pre cruise, rent a car in FLL and return it to a location in Miami.

Which company has a shuttle to the port where I could drop off the rental?

Alamo does for dropoff at MIA. I think thrifty and dollar to (someone will confirm that). Only have used Alamo excellent service at both FLL and MIA.

At MIA once you pull in garage a worker scans a barcode on car and hands you the receipt. (Keep receipt to show bus driver) You then walk into airport and take elevator (forget the floor number just ask the worker) walk out the door and the shuttle buses are right there.

Return was excellent service to picked up right at cruise port and dropped back off at MIA to get rental. Before cruise we did online check-in on Alamo site so we could avoid waiting in a line to talk with counter rep. They have kiosk machines that you just type your reservation and it prints it out so you then go straight to garage.

One thing to note. If you hit any tolls they won't be shown on receipt or charged when you drop off the car. It was like two months later two toll charges appeared on credit card statement for us using the express exit from MIA to I95.

Overall excellent service with Alamo. Fast and efficient. Google Alamo Promo Codes and search the different forums as people post great promo codes. We found one for $30 off if you use a Visa (expired now though) but search for new ones.

Also if your a Costco member enter the Costco corporate id on their booking site and you get additional driver free. You can actually double up promos so for example if you found a $15 off coupon you can put that code in and the Costco ID to get the Costco discount and 2nd driver free plus the $15 off.

Lastly play with the times of booking sometimes price changes alot. Example don't leave it at pickup 12 dropoff 12. Try pickup 1130 drop off 10:00 and it might reduce the price.

Edit oh be sure to fill up car somewhere away from MIA airport. Fill it up in Fort Lauderdale or pull off highway closer to MIA before the car rental at MIA there are gas stations and the price is like triple the actual gas prices. They know how to make money lol

Happy deal hunting ;)

Edited by jb456

Good detailed advice above!

National/Alamo/Thrifty offer free POM shuttles from their MIA airport location.

Avis, Hertz and others in downtown Miami might offer free shuttles - reports are mixed. If not a cab to POM will only be about $12.

Budget is what we're looking at for our Jan 17 cruise.

The location is on SE2nd St. But make sure you book under the Port of Miami cruise ship shuttle drop off/pickup link so that your reservation is linked to that shuttle. It's either Exit 2B or 2A off I-95, forget which. But you'll have to take SW1st or SW3rd ( they shortly turn into SE at Miami Avenue) as @nd Street is one way west. They'll give you directions though.