Disembarking time in Valparaiso

NDRB

Can anyone tell me what time we could reasonably expect to get off Holland America Amsterdam in Valpariaso, collect our luggage and meet a private tour company for transfer to Santiago?

One agency recommended on these boards has said they would be there at 8:30 (I don't think we've ever been able to get off at our final port before 10 am!) and that they would deliver us to the airport at 3 pm. But, if we wanted an extra two hours (until 5 pm) it would be another $20pp. Since I doubt that we would be able to meet them at 8:30 am, it seems like the times could just be shifted up a little without incurring an extra charge...

But, I just wanted to be sure about the actual disembarking times....

Nina

I am not sure if you have ever sailed with HAL before but they are very efficient at disembarkation.

We have always been off the ship by 8.30am or 9am. The 9am was because we are independent travellers and had requested a late departure. I think that the 8.30am departure would be fine. What time does the ship say it will be arriving in Valpariso? If it is arriving around 6.00am, then you will probably be off at that time.

Jennie.

Hi Nina,

We are actually going down to Toorak for dinner in about an hours time!! My sister is on the Amsterdam at the moment doing the Christmas cruise from Rio to Valpariso. When are you going? I could ask her when she returns if you haven't left before then.

Jennie

Small world- we lived on St. George's Road, across from Harold Holt's former home on the Yarra...

We won't be leaving on the Amsterdam until the end of March, so, yes, that would be great if she could report back!

Nina

Just wondering if you could ask your sister, to do a report about her cruise from Rio-Valparaiso? We have "CC" Roll Call for this cruise March 30th from Rio-Seattle. Must say I fell in love with Australia. Spent three months and going back next year. Great wines I must say. Happy Sailings...Leslie Swiger:)

Nina and Leslie,

I will ask her for all the info and I will post it for you. I know she is going to be flat out when she returns home, it is her husband's 60th birthday a few days after returning and then she is having a hip replacement operation so she will be out of action for awhile.

I do know that they are doing the excursion from the ship to the Iguazu Falls whilst in Buenos Airies and also the flight to Antartica. They are also flying from Santiago to Buenos Airies around 6pm the day that they disembark in Valpariso where they are spending a few more days (in BA) before flying home. A great cruise. :p :p

Yes Leslie, our wines are great. We love all the different varieties from the big reds of Cootamundra in South Australia to our lovely cool climate wines here in Victoria to the great wines of Margaret River in Western Australia. We also love N.Z. wines as well as of course French and good Californian wines. In fact we are wine lovers! :) :)

Jennie

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an extract from an email I have just received from my sister on board HAL's Amsterdam. I am sure you will enjoy reading it.

We had very, very rough seas this morning from 5.00am when we entered the Pacific Ocean until around 11.00am. We awoke with a start when our ice bucket, silver tray & two glasses sailed across the room at 7.00am.

We enjoyed our 8 days straight at sea - especially our 4 days in Antarctica. We had mostly good weather & Christmas Day was a glorious sunny day with excellent visibility. It was the first time HAL had reached & circled Paulet Island in the 7 years it has been sailing down here. The views were great from the Crows Nest, the Bow & our balcony. Starboard was definitely the best side throughout this trip so far. We had our friends for drinks prior to Christmas Lunch. We unanimously decided to cancel lunch & stay in our suite and watch the views & we ordered in pizzas. Not very Christmasy but a fabulous once in a life time experience.

On Boxing Day & Monday it was colder but we had falling snow which was lovely. We didn't see many animals - mainly small chin strap penguins, whales, albatros, terns, gulls, shags & seals. On Monday afternoon the weather deteriorated & it was time to head north to Cape Horn. For the following 26 hours we had incredibly rough seas as we sailed across the Southern Ocean, Conditions only improved as we neared Cape Horn & the South American land mass.

Ushuaia is very picturesque & claims to be the southernmost town in the world. We only had 6 hours there so we had no time to explore the town or to shop. We took a 5.5 hour trip on a Catermaran up the Beagle channel to view sea lions & cormorants & visit a magellan penguin rookery,

It was a pleasant outing & nice to leave the ship even though we stayed on water. On Wednesday afternoon we sailed along the Beagle & Cockburn Channels and passed the most magnificent galciers - we could have been in Switzerland!!

Yesterday we stopped in Punta Arenas in Chile & we took the flight over Antarctica. The flight took us back down the Beagle Channel, over the glaciers, Ushuaia & Cape Horn & then down to the "Big Continent". Visibility was good & the views were excellent but we experienced awful tubulence caused by gale force off shore winds. It was very scary & the pilot decided it was too dangerous & he turned for home after 40 minutes in the Antarctic. We were very relieved!!. The aircraft was a very new Lan Chile 737 that carries 120 passengers. There were only 50 passengers plus a guide & 2 ships personnel. We all had access to windows & we had business class food & beverages. The whole journey took 4 hours.

We took a taxi into Punta Arenas from the ship for a couple of hours in the afternoon & explored the town. We also bought a few souvenirs. The town reminded me a little of Anchorage & a couple of the northern most towns we visited in Norway. I find these remote outposts fascinating but not very appealing.

W

e now have calmer seas as we entered Canal Conception around noon. Later in the day we will sail into Canal Wide for more scenic cruising. Canal Trinidad will lead us back into the Pacific tomorrow morning.

Jennie

Let me put your mind at rest please. I am in contact daily with three different parties now on the Amsterdam. Reports are five star all the way. Had friends do the PH Seattle/Rio and the report was also the same. All will book again the Amsterdam. I will board her for twenty-two days on April 15/05. This Lady is five stars all the way.:D Happy Sailings...Leslie Swiger:)

I had dinner with my sister and brother in law last night. They have just returned from the Christmas cruise of the Amsterdam. They did not have any negative comments about the Amsterdam though they did mention that there seemed to be more areas for smokers than they had been used to on the other HAL ships.

Disembarkation was a dream. As they were independent travellers and were not in a hurry they were last to leave the ship at 10am. I think most of the people doing the ships transfers etc were off just after 7.30am.

They adored the cruise and their photographs are wonderful. They said the food was excellent and their suite was fantastic.

Jennie

:) Could you please let us know how you arranged for the private tour from Valparaiso to Santiago. We will be cruising with the Amsterdam on February 26 and would like to arrange a private tour from Valparaiso, incl. Vina de Mar, a winery and the Santiago tour. So far we haven't had any luck finding a good private tour. It looks like Holland has a similar tour but they don't seem to offer it on this itinerary. Can anyone help?

Nina,

Could you tell me the name of the Private Tour company you are going to use in Valpariso for your transfer to the airport. My sister used a company but was very unhappy with them and we need one for January, 2006.

Thanks.

Jennie

Jennie- I see that you mentioned some people were off the Amsterdam in Valparaiso by 7:30 am- how's about if you want to sleep as long as possible, since you'll be up all night on the plane back?????

We're thinking of using Jamie at:

wndcvalpo@gmail.com

He was recommended by some on this board, but he hasn't been great lately about responding to my email... Pleas let me know if you find someone else.

Port Compass seems a bit expensive for the two of us, and I'm not sure if we want to lose our flexibility by joining a group with PC.

Nina

NDRB,

My sister actually didn't leave the ship until 10.30am as they were suite passengers and were using independent travel arrangements for the day.

They would not use Jamie again, as apparently he doesn't actually do the transfers but subcontracts them out. They had a very unfortunate experience, - a very old Volvo, no seat belts, no airconditioning and an engine which just about gave up the ghost and they were nearly involved in a nasty accident. My sister is in correspondence with Jamie regarding all of this.

Jennie

Yikes, I guess we won't pursue Jamie, then- his lack of follow up didn't seem like a good sign, anyway...

Port Compass just seems expensive for two of us, and I'm not sure we want to lose our flexibility and joina bigger group...

Any other suggestions for a tour/transport out there??

Nina

We had two very quick replies and then haven't heard anything for about a week. I thought seeing we will not be needing him until next January, he is getting all this year's clients out of the way.

I was going to resend my email next week as it will be less than a year until we use him.

I would resend your email, often that has results. Good luck. Please let me know if you hear from him.

Jennie

Archived