Will Camp Carnival give/use Epipen on child if needed?

mladyfred

My DD who is 2 years old is allergic to Mustard in all forms - it is a tough one, because it is used in so many foods - that people just don't think of. (Salads, sauces, pizza, mac and cheese, deli meats, hot dogs, etc) I know that the cruise line will try their best to ensure that all foods are safe for her (calling ahead, advising chef, dining room staff etc.. ) but if SOMETHING did happen, would the Camp Carnival Staff use an epipen?

I read that they will not dispense meds.. does that also mean life saving ones?

In most cases - with a LF food allergie you have five min to use the pen, and then its to late. :(

Taylor

I highly doubt they would, but you should call Carnival to find out for sure.

It would be too much of a liability for them even though it is a life saving medication.

In fact, with a case like that, I would make sure that the doctor on board could insert an et tube if needed and had the approp supplies before I would even get on the ship.

I can understand Carnival"s reasoning not to dispense meds...especially to tots. They do have a doctor onboard though and a nurse.

I think this is a question to ask Carnival. They will tell you the exact rules.

I have sent a email - but I am not sure it has gone to the correct place. Sadly, there would be no time for a Dr. to be called. I guess I will have to see what they say, and make our choices based on that. We still may cruise, just not leave DD in anyones care but our own.

Taylor

Try sending an e-mail to specialneeds@carnival.com. I received a reply from them (on a different matter) in a few hours - in fact, I was shocked at their fast response. You can also call Carnival - ask for that department. I also called yesterday, and I spoke with someone who was very helpful, and clarified some info for me. She faxed me a form to fill out, which will be forwarded to the infirmary. Here is the phone # - 1-800-438-6744 ext. 70025. Good luck!

Don't be offended with my question but...

Why wouldn't you bring your own epipen for her?

Just a curious question if she is that allergic to such a hidden ingredient.

Sue

What I think the OP is asking is "if she gave an Epipen to the staff in Camp Carnvial would they adminstrate the medication?".

OP.. maybe if bought food for your child and told them not to give her anything else?

Don't be offended with my question but...

Why wouldn't you bring your own epipen for her?

Just a curious question if she is that allergic to such a hidden ingredient.

Sue

I'm sure she intends to but with severe allergies you have a max of 5 minutes to administer....I doubt you could find the parent that quick.

I would pack special food for her.

I did a quick search and read info on DCL's camp counselors being trained for such times and carrying epipens with them when necessary. Hopefully other cruiselines do the same. I also found this article, but I'm sure you're planning on doing most of these things: http://www.cybercruises.com/foodallergies.htm

My little brother has a severe peanut allergy. When he was in grade school it wasn't as common as it is now. I remember every year my mom would take an old epipen and an orange to his teacher to show her how to administer it.

Good luck with contacting Carnival, that's where your best advice will come from. And enjoy your cruise!!

What I think the OP is asking is "if she gave an Epipen to the staff in Camp Carnvial would they adminstrate the medication?".

OP.. maybe if bought food for your child and told them not to give her anything else?

Yes, I will br bringing my own pens - 12 in fact (1 pen = 20min of life) a pen does not save alife, but buys time until med staff can arrive. I am not going to be able to bring four days of food with me - and Emily due to her age, would not go to the club during times when food was served. (ie lunch, dinner, or snacks - unless it was cookies, and juice).

I have spoken to a nice staff memeber from Carnival she said she was not as up to date on new policys, but that she does know that RCCL will use a pen. And Disney. So if Carnival does not then the other lines will have to be our choice.

I know its our choice to send our daughter into the camp - but I also know when all her cuz. go into the play room and she can not, she will be upset. Kids are smart - they get lots of stuff we don't think they do.

Thanks for the links and info. I will update post once I am giving final info.

Taylor

Why take the chance of leaving her out of your sight ? Sorry I just dont get it.

Because my child has to learn to live in a world with allergies. She needs to have a normal life. Don't get me wrong, I will not be more then 5min away from the club (but she will not know that) more and more kids with food allergies are having huge issues with dealing with living day to day. They have ulcers, the refuse to eat, they live in a bubble. They need to learn to cope on their one, in a world that does not understand what food allergies are.

Taylor

Because my child has to learn to live in a world with allergies. She needs to have a normal life. Don't get me wrong, I will not be more then 5min away from the club (but she will not know that) more and more kids with food allergies are having huge issues with dealing with living day to day. They have ulcers, the refuse to eat, they live in a bubble. They need to learn to cope on their one, in a world that does not understand what food allergies are.

Taylor

How about you bring some safe pre-packaged snacks for her to bring to camp carnival. That way if the rest of them have snacks she will be able to have a safe snack. Snacks don't take up much room in luggage. Also I would remind them each time you drop the child off how sever the allergy is just in case they have a different worker for the day that doesn't look at any documentation.

Why take the chance of leaving her out of your sight ? Sorry I just dont get it.

I'll assume that you don't know anyone with food allergies based on that comment.

My son is allergic to milk and eggs.

He & I and my daughter are all allergic to penicillin.

I'm severely allergic to tree nuts (peanuts are fine).

I carry an epipen, my son does not need one (thank God for that).

Based on your comment I guess my son & I should stay home and never go out or I should never let him go anywhere :confused:

yeah that'll work, I'll notify my wife and my dad that I can't work anymore.

I doubt a 2 yr old is going to school.

The OP asked a question, she did not ask for parenting advice. It is not a cruiseship message board's job, to tell people how to raise her children. We may agree or disagree with a poster's parenting decisions, but it's their decision nonetheless and we should respect it.

Sorry, I don't have any advice about Camp Carnival but I do know exactly where you are coming from. I'm allergic to mustard too and that stuff is hidden everywhere! BBQ sauce, breakfast casserole and tons of salad dressings. I found out the hard way that one of our local restaurants puts it in their orange marmalade!

My allergy is not as severe as it was when I was a small child. Maybe your daughter will have the same luck.

Hey Taylor! Fancy seeing you here. So funny, I only came into this thread because I immediately thought of Emily, and as I'm reading, I thought "Well, isn't it funny that this mom named Taylor has a daughter with a mustard allergy, I know someone just like that from another msg board." I guess I'm cyber-stalking you!

I have quietly followed all your allergy issues with your daughter, and I don't doubt that you would ever knowingly put Em's life in danger. I totally agree with you - she can't live in a bubble, she needs to be leading a normal life!

Anyway, glad that you found out that Camp Carnival will administer the epi-pen. The suggestion of taking an old/expired one and an orange for demo purposes is a really good idea! I sometimes see them at work (they come to me if they're expired or fail quality assurance) and I could get you some to use for that purpose if necessary.

Taylor

I agree 110%. Childern with allergies do need to live a normal life. My husband has an allergery to grass, his mother would never let him in the grass. Over time his allergies have easied up, he can now mow the grass as long as he has taken his meds.

Have a great trip!

I doubt a 2 yr old is going to school.

Maybe the kid is really smart ;) Perhaps pre-school or daycare?

Sneezykevina got the message out much better than I did. I don't know any parent (and I have several friends with special needs children let alone food allergies) who can be with them all the time. My daughter is allergic to roasted peanuts (but not peanut products ie peanut butter). I can assure you we take steps to ensure her safety but by no means are we with her 24/7. OP has a valid concern and is trying to get information on how to best make sure the child is safe. You stated that you just don't get it. That's OK. I hope you never HAVE to figure it out. I hope you never have to "walk a mile in someone else's shoes". Why put the OP down just because you don't get it. And just in case this post sounds mean... I don't intend it to...

The OP asked a question, she did not ask for parenting advice. It is not a cruiseship message board's job, to tell people how to raise her children. We may agree or disagree with a poster's parenting decisions, but it's their decision nonetheless and we should respect it.

Amen to that!

Archived