Frankfort layover time

cknic

I'm considering a flight to Amsterdam on Lufthansa going through Frankfort. The layover is only 1 hour 5 minutes. Is that long enough to make my connection?

I frequently fly Lufthansa through Frankfurt - it is a large and busy place. The "official" minimum connection time for international flights is listed at 45 minutes but I find this laughable unless: 1) your inbound flight is not delayed, 2) you are familiar with the airport & 3) your inbound arrival gate and your outbound gate are located relatively close to each other. I am familiar with the airport and never book a flight with a connection of less than 90 minutes and actually prefer 2 hours between inbound and outbound connections (I am always tired after an international flight and don't like to "run" to my connecting gate). The gates are quite distant from each other and, even taking the Sky Line, I don't believe that I have ever made it to my departure gate (frequently gates Z) in less than an hour.

I recommend checking to see at which terminal/gate your flight usually lands and your connecting flight departs.

You can check-out the terminal map here:

https://www.frankfurt-airport.com/en/flights---more/transfer.detail.suffix.html/article/flights-and-more/terminal-transfer/terminal-maps.html

So, in short, 1 hour, 5 minutes is possible but I would recommend finding a flight with a longer connection window.

Edited by dogs4fun

Assume you mean arriving from the US into FRA, before connection to AMS.

The day after the Asiana crash at SFO, we made it in 40 minutes for a connection to CPH (SFO-FRA-CPH). But we arrived at a much later time than the majority of international flights into FRA, and there were no lines at Passport check. Had there been lines there, we would have been screwed.

So, an hour is doable, but it is going to be very stressful, and potentially filled with running. On other flight boards, the recommended minimum is 90 minutes. You may have to bus to your plane for the AMS flight (we did for CPH), but if you are on a LH plane, you won't have to bus to your gate when arriving at FRA. Make sure you are on a LH plane.

Assume you mean arriving from the US into FRA, before connection to AMS.

The day after the Asiana crash at SFO, we made it in 40 minutes for a connection to CPH (SFO-FRA-CPH). But we arrived at a much later time than the majority of international flights into FRA, and there were no lines at Passport check. Had there been lines there, we would have been screwed.

So, an hour is doable, but it is going to be very stressful, and potentially filled with running. On other flight boards, the recommended minimum is 90 minutes. You may have to bus to your plane for the AMS flight (we did for CPH), but if you are on a LH plane, you won't have to bus to your gate when arriving at FRA. Make sure you are on a LH plane.

Thank you and to dogs4fun..you confirmed what I was thinking..not really enough time. Won't chance it.