New applicant for Passport lately?!

Kverlinger

I have 4 passports to get. Expedited will cost an extra 60pp. I've always just used BC and ID, but taking the kids this year, I feel like its time to get passports....and I've waited till the very last min.

Has anyone gotten a new passport lately and how long did it take to receive it? I have 38 days till the cruise. I know I probably just need to cough up the extra money to get it here faster. :cool: I hate being a procrastinator sometimes..

I have 4 passports to get. Expedited will cost an extra 60pp. I've always just used BC and ID, but taking the kids this year, I feel like its time to get passports....and I've waited till the very last min.

Has anyone gotten a new passport lately and how long did it take to receive it? I have 38 days till the cruise. I know I probably just need to cough up the extra money to get it here faster. :cool: I hate being a procrastinator sometimes..

i just applied on April 8th and the passport came exactly three weeks later on April 29th. I only did normal delivery. :)

You don't need to do expedited service. The US Department of State is saying about 3 weeks for delivery of passports right now.

I did our passports back in early February. 3 passports. 2 weeks door to door no expedited processing. However, I think early in the year is pretty slow as I was told the closer to summer travel seasons the longer it takes.

A friend of mine, realized that her passport would expire while she was on an Alaskan cruise later this month, and she did the expedited process and had her passport inside a week. My daughter had to renew hers and it was three weeks which sounds normal.

Just make sure that you have the "correct" birth certificate!! My children had passports, but those expired, so when my daughter went to get hers now that she is 18, they told her that the birth certificate wasn't the correct one. She didn't have the long form BC, so because she was in college, I had to go pick one up.. That delayed the process, but from beginning to end even with the delay.. It was about 3-4 weeks!!

Did my daughter's in April. I think it took 2 and a half weeks. You still have time but do it ASAP and you won't have to pay to have them expedidated. Do you have 2 copies of the birth certificates? If you do then is they didn't come back in time you could still sail on the BC. Send one copy with the passport application and keep one just in case.

You have to submit the raised seal birth certificate and they will send the documents back to you.

If you opt to send them without expedite, if you haven't received them within 3 weeks, call your congressional or senate office. They generally have folks that can contact the passport agency for you. Just give them at least a week to help you get it done.

You have to turn in the birth certificate when you do it?! They don't just make a copy?

You do, they will send it back.

Just visit your department of health and get another copy. Generally they aren't expensive, 20 bucks at most and probably more like 10.

As to the earlier comment about the right one. Get a certified copy from your department of health or state equivalent. Some states no longer produce long forms. As long as it has the state seal, the State Department should accept it.

I know this is anecdotal but my neighbor just applied and waited 5 weeks before he got a letter in the mail saying they needed more information. He went to the court house, with a witness, all documents, and and anything else they asked for.

After filling out some forms he received his in about 2 weeks.

He was nervous to the point he was going to drive to Miami to get the passport in person.

I had never heard of anything like this, but from what he gathered some people have to give more.

Also my dad's passport had the wrong name and birthday so he had to send it and wait an additional 3-4 weeks for one.

Edited by theriac

You have to submit the raised seal birth certificate and they will send the documents back to you.

If you opt to send them without expedite, if you haven't received them within 3 weeks, call your congressional or senate office. They generally have folks that can contact the passport agency for you. Just give them at least a week to help you get it done.

There is a common myth, misconception, or what ever you want to call it about BCs. You DO NOT have to have a BC with a raised seal. You have to have a CERTIFIED BC.

Thank you all. So, this is what I'm planning on doing. Sending in our only BC's scared the crap out of me...so I just ordered everyone a new one online. It was a pretty penny but worth it for the piece of mind. Thats way, if the passports are delayed, we will have a backup. It said that the BC's should be here within 10 days. We live in FL and have BC's from NC,VA, and NY, so going to pick one up wasn't an option. Thanks for the advice guys! ;)

I did ours the beginning of April. It said that it was a 3-5 week processing. I didn't want to take the chance of not having them and not having our birth certificates back so I paid the expedited processing. I wish now that I hadn't done so. My oldest didn't get hers and is traveling with just her birth certificate and driver's license.