1st time in Antigua and just have one easy question

digitalknoll

Hi everyone, been a while since I've been on here. We've booked our first Southern Caribbean cruise. We've been Easter & Western many times so the new ports like Antigua are exciting. My wife and I are pretty easy going and really just like to relax on a beautiful beach and have a few drinks with the least amount of crowds as possible.

After reviewing the threads here, I see that there are many great beaches to choose from and the buses are easy enough to navigate. As I narrow my beach selection down (Darkwood, Turner's and Valley Church), I would like to know if there is a place close to port where we can buy beer/snacks to take with us to the beach?

We have a backpack cooler that we fill up with ice, so the drinks and food will be fine for travel. We do this when In Grand Cayman when we go to Cemetery beach. If you've never been there, it's never crowded and plenty of free shade from the trees.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

-DK

Hi everyone, been a while since I've been on here. We've booked our first Southern Caribbean cruise. We've been Easter & Western many times so the new ports like Antigua are exciting. My wife and I are pretty easy going and really just like to relax on a beautiful beach and have a few drinks with the least amount of crowds as possible.

After reviewing the threads here, I see that there are many great beaches to choose from and the buses are easy enough to navigate. As I narrow my beach selection down (Darkwood, Turner's and Valley Church), I would like to know if there is a place close to port where we can buy beer/snacks to take with us to the beach?

We have a backpack cooler that we fill up with ice, so the drinks and food will be fine for travel. We do this when In Grand Cayman when we go to Cemetery beach. If you've never been there, it's never crowded and plenty of free shade from the trees.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

-DK

The three beaches mentioned are the main destinations for Towles and Herds (T'erds)

Places far away from T'erds are shabby chic beach bar/dinners, where one books in advance, and the "bring your own" option is never acceptable.

Ok thanks, I definitely want to stay away from the masses if possible. I just found out there will be 5 ships in port that day, so it’s gonna be tough hiding from all the t’erds for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is a new kid on the block - Rum Bus Beach

Not yet overrun. A fun place with restricted occupation.

Contact them to book your beds in the best position. Dues great drinks and food, no need to book lunch etc.

Actually, it is two bars diwn from Jacqui O's

Thanks Port Royal,

I've been reading about that place in here lately. It sounds like a nice place. What I really want is a place that doesn't have any amenities/bar, just open beaches. I think in my first post I wasn't completely clear about the type of place I was looking for. It was only when you said that "bringing your own is never acceptable" that I realized this. I would never bring my own food/drinks and squat at a place that makes their money that way, it's disrespectful and rude.

I'm just looking to find a little spot of beach with no amenities, not even bathrooms, to wade in the water for a few hours. No frills, just the beauty of the island. I mentioned Cemetery beach in Grand Cayman, this is exactly what we do there. It's public, but since there are no amenities, the masses pass it up.

I hope I cleared everything up. Thank you for the suggestions, and if there just isn't a location that matched what I'm looking for, Rum beach it is!

-DK

Thanks Port Royal,

I've been reading about that place in here lately. It sounds like a nice place. What I really want is a place that doesn't have any amenities/bar, just open beaches. I think in my first post I wasn't completely clear about the type of place I was looking for. It was only when you said that "bringing your own is never acceptable" that I realized this. I would never bring my own food/drinks and squat at a place that makes their money that way, it's disrespectful and rude.

I'm just looking to find a little spot of beach with no amenities, not even bathrooms, to wade in the water for a few hours. No frills, just the beauty of the island. I mentioned Cemetery beach in Grand Cayman, this is exactly what we do there. It's public, but since there are no amenities, the masses pass it up.

I hope I cleared everything up. Thank you for the suggestions, and if there just isn't a location that matched what I'm looking for, Rum beach it is!

-DK

Okay, get you.

IMO the best quiet spot for free.

Take the shuttle bus to Turners Beach.

Ignore the bed rental sales people, walk ahead towards the sea, (bar/restaurant on your left), on reaching the sea turn right and walk as long as you wish until you find your best empty spot.

It's a long and mostly empty beach going up as far as Jacqui O's (almost Darkwood Beach)

Toilets at Turners are behind the bar/restaurant, think they previously charged $1.00 but use may be free now.

Shuttle back to ship from Turners Car Park (Drop Off Point)

Been to C Beach many times. It's the start of the reef. Empty and plenty of shade from the Pines.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Predictive

OK, now we're talking! This is right up my alley. Thank you for the help Port Royal, I really appreciate it. When we run out of supplies, we'll be sure to head over to the vendors and purchase some local goodies.

-DK

OK, now we're talking! This is right up my alley. Thank you for the help Port Royal, I really appreciate it. When we run out of supplies, we'll be sure to head over to the vendors and purchase some local goodies.

-DK

If you can spare a couple of dollars, make a stop when going back to the ship, with "the little old lady". She sells sunware, handmade jewellery and shells from her tables and hut, for very little money. She will appreciate it.

You can't miss her, she will be on your right as you walk down the beach on entering.

Thought: a small shot of cheap rum in the Turners bar will be $6/8.00, but a whole bottle will about $15.00 bought in the Duty Free prior to boarding the shuttle bus to Turners.

To catch the shuttle, walk through the avenue of port shops to a slightly raised area. You will be approached by vendors for tours etc.. Just say going to Turners and you will be direct to the holding area for the shared Turners shuttle.

Is there decent snorkeling near Rum Beach and/or Turner and can you easily walk between the two? I think we might like to split the day between the two. Also are reservations needed at Rum Beach? We will be the only ship in port that day.

Is there decent snorkeling near Rum Beach and/or Turner and can you easily walk between the two? I think we might like to split the day between the two. Also are reservations needed at Rum Beach? We will be the only ship in port that day.

Wish Cruises would forget how many ships are in port, as it is the amount of holiday makers already staying in all the condos, b&b, small hotels, locals, and those with limited pool areas, who first migrate to the beaches which must be first considered. Cruise T'erds could then push up the occupancy to OMG levels.

With regard to snorkelling, nothing if any note at either locations. There is "some" (being generous) at Turners near rocky outcrop to the left if the bar, when looking out to sea.

The walk is along Turners Beach from one end to the other is about a 20 minute perambulation.

PortRoyal,

Which beach are you referring to here?

"Been to C Beach many times. It's the start of the reef. Empty and plenty of shade from the Pines"

Also, any idea which beach is between Ffryes and Valley Church? I see a beach there on Bing maps and it looks like a little slice of heaven? It is south of Sheer rocks restaurant and Cocobay resort sits on the north end of it.

Thanks again for the help!

-DK

PortRoyal,

Which beach are you referring to here?

"Been to C Beach many times. It's the start of the reef. Empty and plenty of shade from the Pines"

Cemetery Beach

Also, any idea which beach is between Ffryes and Valley Church? I see a beach there on Bing maps and it looks like a little slice of heaven? It is south of Sheer rocks restaurant and Cocobay resort sits on the north end of it.

Thanks again for the help!

-DK

Not shure, but think it could be Coco Beach, but it has Hotels etc. So it may not be the one you're looking at.

Contact the tourist board. They will have your answer.

• 2 weeks later...
Not shure, but think it could be Coco Beach, but it has Hotels etc. So it may not be the one you're looking at.

Contact the tourist board. They will have your answer.

It is Coco beach according to Google maps. I only see one hotel there and it's on the end, so this might be an option.Curious if anyone has been.

Thanks again!