Internet Millenium - Alaska

cookie38

Asking for a friend. Not familar with Celebrity or Alaska! :)

They are cruising in 2 weeks. What are options for Internet? How is service? I know they leave out of Seward and arrive in Vancouver. They Have Verizon. Guessing they will need international Package for days out of US, but what about service while on boat?

Thanks so much!

Verizon service while on the boat is pretty limited. Sometimes when the ship is close to shore you can pick up a tower but it is spotty. In the ports my Verizon service was fine. Verizon also offers packages that will work in Canada but you are only really in Canada for a day on land.

The ship's internet is sold in packages. One 24 day, one week or sometimes by the minute. They used to do packages of so many minutes but no more. The service is not bad but streaming and wifi calls don't do too well. Since they now sell a lot of unlimited internet packages the service slows down when there are a lot of people on board, like sea days or Hubbard Glacier day.

When we did a B2B on Millennium this past May to Alaska, the internet was the worst we have ever had on Celebrity. In addition, the Verizon coverage in ports was pretty awful as well, especially from onboard the ship. We had a lot of cloudy, rainy weather so not sure if that impacted satellite reception, but we were very disappointed in the service for both. Don't get me wrong, we were able to get onto the internet and could surf the web and get our email. But it was sometimes unavailable, often very slow, and very often would not let me use my Hangouts app to video call my son at home, which is something I have been able to do on every other cruise we have taken since they installed internet. I did not try it, but based on what we were experiencing I would say there was no way we could have ever streamed anything on that trip. I know sometimes the location of your cabin impacts the internet speed. We had a separate cabin on each leg of the B2B and they were equally awful.