Day trip: Cannes → Aix-en-Provence / doable?

-Lew-

We'll be making a port call in Cannes in October...Wednesday the 14th, 8:00am - 5:30pm. My wife and I would really like to visit Provence and wonder if it can be done on this port of call.

It appears the road between Cannes and Aix-en-Provence is a divided highway and the distance is about 146km (88 miles). Would renting a car for the day be advisable? Is there a rental agency near the cruise port?

Other options, of course, would be train, bus, or private tour.

All opinions and suggestions are most welcome.

Lew

Yes you can. It is about an hour and 15 each way, but you need to get off of the ship, get the rental, navigate the congestion of Cannes, navigate the congestion of Aix and then get back in time to be onboard by all aboard, no later than 5. You will have a couple of hours in Aix one of my favorite towns (first stop on the honeymoon what can I say).

While you can - I think the stress would not be worth it. Aix is a city of leisure a place for long lunches and evening strolls, and petanque in the park- it is the anti stress. If you go be sure to have trip insurance and remember that trip insurance will not cover if the adjuster feels you did not leave enough time to make it even if your problem is a breakdown or accident.

I agree with the prior post that it is doable, but pushing the reasonable envelope. Since there are some really nice places that are closer to Cannes (St Paul de Vence is our favorite) we save Aix for when we are in Marseille on a cruise, or doing a driving trip in Provence. As to rental cars, there are several rental car agencies located in Cannes about a 25 min walk from the tender pier. Specifially, there is a good Europcar agency on the Rue d'Antibes and I believe there is also a Budget in town. We have often used the Europcar location since they open pretty early.

Hank

Archived