What is that smell on Dishes and glasses

fishycomics

So walking to the refreshments and hte coffee cups are out, pick one up and WIFF tehre is this odar..

walking over to the diahes the same odar.....

How I can describe this odar. like a fish tank water standing....

it is humidity from the heat. many people ignore this smell or think this smell is normal.

take a wiff of the glasses and you'll see

I will use paper cups for that reason, and when you pass the aft where h dishes get washed you may smell it there to

It's probably chlorine (bleach) which is used as a sanitizer in many commercial applications. Bleach is one of the most effective and least expensive ways to kill harmful fungi, bacteria, and viruses. Since so many people are using the dishes and utensils on a cruise ship/restaurant and no one knows what germs the passengers may be carrying, restaurants take extra precautions to prevent the spread of germs.

I worked at a few restaurants when I was in high school and college. The dishwashing area always smelled like bleach (chlorine) because of the fumes coming from the dishwashers. Those plates came out HOT, much hotter than they do from my home dishwasher, even when using "sanitizer" mode. When the plates were fresh from the dishwasher, they had a chlorine odor but it dissipates after a while.

I've noticed the smell, both on ships and in restaurants, but it doesn't faze me since I know why they smell that way.

It's not chlorine..... I know the smell you're talking about fishycomics. I sometimes get it on our glasses from the dishwasher. I'm very sensitive, and it grosses me out, but the rest of my family will smell the glass and have no idea what I'm talking about.

It's slightly sour, slightly like wet dog. My theory is that they weren't completely dry so the water kind of got mildewy while the glass was wet. Or it could be the water itself. I didn't notice it on our cruise, but glad to hear they had paper cups you could use. I'd have gone dehydrated! :D

AMEN. I only wished it smelled like chlorine, or Bleech.

Dog sweat, is the smell some say, yes,

the glass if the glass isempty, it will not smell, but when you add water to it, and it can sit for under a minute you will smell that smell fast.

On a dish if the dish is cold, and hot food is added you will smell that smell.

It I s about cleaning the dishes correctly and many places have that smell, you can even taste it

how we prevent this, toss in baking powder and keep the dishwasher closed, when ready to do dishes, toss in your cleaner and the smell will be gone. If you leave it open slightly the smell will build, you will smell it more on humid days then dry days, so far we have it working fine for us at home. But on the cruise I preferred paper cups:)

again its not about bleech or chlorine.

That smell comes from a wetting agent.

This wetting agent is a type of mild soap - for lack of a better description - that allows water to run off the clean dishes and glasses in a steady sheet so fewer streaks are left on the glass. You can purchase it in the supermarket to use in your home dishwashers for the same purpose.

US Public Health Service does not allow cruise ship employees to polish glasses with a cloth like you do in restaurants and at home, so the wetting agent is the only thing they can legally use to make the glassware look good.

Restaurants on land use the same thing to make it easier for the waiters to polish their glasses.

Glassware from a ship's dishwasher would not be able to stay wet long enough to get any mildew.

US Public Health regualtions require the dishwash machine to hit such high temperatures as to cause the very hot glassware to dry extremely quickly once it leaves the machine.

It's not chlorine..... I know the smell you're talking about fishycomics. I sometimes get it on our glasses from the dishwasher. I'm very sensitive, and it grosses me out, but the rest of my family will smell the glass and have no idea what I'm talking about.

It's slightly sour, slightly like wet dog. My theory is that they weren't completely dry so the water kind of got mildewy while the glass was wet. Or it could be the water itself. I didn't notice it on our cruise, but glad to hear they had paper cups you could use. I'd have gone dehydrated! :D

Exactly how my glassware smells sometimes.:o Glad it's not just me!

That smell comes from a wetting agent.

This wetting agent is a type of mild soap - for lack of a better description - that allows water to run off the clean dishes and glasses in a steady sheet so fewer streaks are left on the glass. You can purchase it in the supermarket to use in your home dishwashers for the same purpose.

US Public Health Service does not allow cruise ship employees to polish glasses with a cloth like you do in restaurants and at home, so the wetting agent is the only thing they can legally use to make the glassware look good.

Restaurants on land use the same thing to make it easier for the waiters to polish their glasses.

Glassware from a ship's dishwasher would not be able to stay wet long enough to get any mildew.

US Public Health regualtions require the dishwash machine to hit such high temperatures as to cause the very hot glassware to dry extremely quickly once it leaves the machine.

Thanks for the great answer!

Archived