Embarking Greenwich

laurieb

We’re staying near the Tower of London a few days before our cruise starts; we want to take the Thames Clipper to the Greenwich pier. I’ve been told that we should be able to take luggage on it. Can anyone confirm?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

From their website: https://www.thamesclippers.com/about-mbna-thames-clippers/frequently-asked-questions

Can I take luggage on board?

You may bring luggage on board provided it does not obstruct access to safety equipment, gangways, stairs and passageways and is not placed on seats.

You may not bring on board any item that is more than 2 metres long, hazardous or inflammable substances

As per our conditions of carriage, we reserve the right to refuse permission for you to take any item on to a vessel.

It looks as if Tower Pier and Greenwich Pier are both wheelchair accessible, so that should make it easy to roll cases aboard.

Having said that, and since you are in the area anyway, it would make sense to stroll down to the pier and check it out for yourself.

Edited by Bob++

We’re staying near the Tower of London a few days before our cruise starts; we want to take the Thames Clipper to the Greenwich pier. I’ve been told that we should be able to take luggage on it. Can anyone confirm?
You may want to be aware that if the tide is low at the time of your journey, the ramps will be steep. And your bags may therefore feel very heavy as you walk up after disembarking the ferry. The tidal range in London is something in the order of 25 feet, so if your timing coincides with a particularly low tide you can expect a vertical climb of that order from the ferry to the river bank, which you're likely to have to do to get the luggage to the check-in point.

So in addition to all of your other planning, you might want to have a look at the tide tables for your departure day.

You may want to be aware that if the tide is low at the time of your journey, the ramps will be steep. And your bags may therefore feel very heavy as you walk up after disembarking the ferry. The tidal range in London is something in the order of 25 feet, so if your timing coincides with a particularly low tide you can expect a vertical climb of that order from the ferry to the river bank, which you're likely to have to do to get the luggage to the check-in point.

So in addition to all of your other planning, you might want to have a look at the tide tables for your departure day.

If the tidal range is 25 feet that is indeed very high. We have that sort of tidal range in Liverpool (much higher than in many parts of the UK) and our piers are much the same, possibly longer, than those shown on the pictures posted here. Our piers can be very steep at low tide and difficult to walk up, even without luggage. Vehicles are available to assist cruise passengers and even Mersey Ferry passengers if they are disabled - I do not know if that would be the case in London or if they would assist with luggage from a ferry.

We would not want to take luggage on our ferry if going across the Mersey to embark a cruise ship and have given advice to non locals regards that. I think as a local, you are giving very sound advice to the OP. It is then for him/her to make a decision based on the facts and health/fitness level.