Question for Aussies

3shoes

We will be in Sydney for a few days prior to our New Zealand cruise and also in Cairns for several days post cruise. While my flat iron will be OK on the ship - since they have 110V, the manufacturer of my flat iron (CHI) says not to use converter and adapter for appliance. I was going to purchase a dual voltage iron, but the least expensive was $60.00. My thinking is to purchase an inexpensive one while in Sydney for use while not on the ship. Is this a good decision, and if so, where can they be purchased close to Circular Quay? Sorry to be obsessing over this, but a girl and her hair are NOT to be messed with:D Thanks.

Hi 3shoes,

It has been a long time since I lived in Sydney, let along buying an iron (lol). Most of the outlets are located in the other end of town but if you are around for a couple of days prior you will have little trouble finding somewhere.

This may be of some assistance http://www.sydneyshowcase.com.au/visitor-information/sydney-shopping/

Hope you enjoy your stay and cruise

Ted

We will be in Sydney for a few days prior to our New Zealand cruise and also in Cairns for several days post cruise. While my flat iron will be OK on the ship - since they have 110V, the manufacturer of my flat iron (CHI) says not to use converter and adapter for appliance. I was going to purchase a dual voltage iron, but the least expensive was $60.00. My thinking is to purchase an inexpensive one while in Sydney for use while not on the ship. Is this a good decision, and if so, where can they be purchased close to Circular Quay? Sorry to be obsessing over this, but a girl and her hair are NOT to be messed with:D Thanks.

I'm guessing you mean a hair straightener, not a clothes iron.

I have a Vidal Sassoon brand, dual voltage for worldwide use, bought at one of our department stores, David Jones. The shops are all downtown and I'm sure you would enjoy some retail therapy.

From memory it was only around $35.00, it is terrific and you could use it onboard also. You might have to purchase an international plug which I use when I go to England or the US. You just dial up the country you want and the correct plug drops out. If you only want to use it in Australia then it will have the right plug. It has ceramic plates by the way which I know are the preferred type.

Have a wonderful trip, enjoy Sydney.

Best wishes. :)

Flat irons are NOT - repeat NOT allowed on any cruise ships they are recognised as a fire hazard!!!

Hi

a good place to buy a flat iron/hair straightener would be Priceline.(a large pharmacy/cosmetic/beauty shop) they have a good range including mini ones for about $20

You can either get a bus up George St or it would be a 15 min walk from Circular Quay. It is near the corner of Market St, just opposite Myer

Archived