West bay

xrayvin

We will be in roatan with 1 other ship (in MB not sure about other pier)

I found a day pass for $19pp, includes beach chairs, pool, wifi, and welcome drink. They can help set up other activities and transportation.

My question is.. is it worth about $40pp for transportation,beach chair and possible pool use? Even DIY transportation looks to be $25pp just to get to West Bay.

I assume the beach is all public so anyone can sit anywhere. So doing a day pass at a resort doesn't really get you away from the crowds?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I found a day pass for $19pp, includes beach chairs, pool, wifi, and welcome drink. They can help set up other activities and transportation.

My question is.. is it worth about $40pp for transportation,beach chair and possible pool use? Even DIY transportation looks to be $25pp just to get to West Bay.

I assume the beach is all public so anyone can sit anywhere. So doing a day pass at a resort doesn't really get you away from the crowds?

I am sorry I do not understand the question, first you say $19 then you say $40. I am confused.

Let me attempt some info anywho:

Yes, the beach is public but there is has been discussion about just how much sand is public and how much is private, that and potties, loungers and food are all payable. Ahh another thing to consider is the sandfleas.. they can be vicious.

Depending on the time of year you may not be able to get away from the crowds anywhere on West Bay Beach. If crowds area concern, perhaps another beach is a better choice.

I would suggest one of the day passes with transport included, Paradise Beach, Beachers, and Banarama come to mind.

With all that said, if you want easy access to boat free water with snorkeling steps from your lounger, Tabyana is the answer, anyplace else and you will have to walk down the beach. Course the whole of West Bay can be walked in 15/20 mins so walking is not a hardship.

Thanks for attempting to answer.

It is confusing, because I am confused with West Bay. I'll try to clarify.

The day pass is $19pp but that only includes beach chair, pool, wi-fu and a welcome drink. It is about $20pp for transportation. That together is about $40pp.

I was trying to find info about DIY to west bay. With unregulated taxis and a popular beach I was not sure if this is a good idea. I think it would be $25-$30pp for transportation only.

My main question is.. is this actually correct? Is it worth $40pp for a beach chair, wi-fi, pool and transportation. We would know we have a place to sit but would it really separate us from the crowds? It is a double edge sword, we like to be around things for the teens to enjoy (water toys etc) but don't want to be packed in like sardines on the beach.

I know Tabyana is where the cruise ship excursions go which usually is a red flag for me.

Sandfleas are always a concern. It is safe to assume the more popular beaches have less problems since they are disturbed so much and the beach clubs rake? Is there a time of year that is better/worse then other times? We will be there between Christmas and New Years.

Thank you again for taking the time to try and help us.

Thanks for attempting to answer.

It is confusing, because I am confused with West Bay. I'll try to clarify.

The day pass is $19pp but that only includes beach chair, pool, wi-fu and a welcome drink. It is about $20pp for transportation. That together is about $40pp.

I was trying to find info about DIY to west bay. With unregulated taxis and a popular beach I was not sure if this is a good idea. I think it would be $25-$30pp for transportation only.

My main question is.. is this actually correct? Is it worth $40pp for a beach chair, wi-fi, pool and transportation. We would know we have a place to sit but would it really separate us from the crowds? It is a double edge sword, we like to be around things for the teens to enjoy (water toys etc) but don't want to be packed in like sardines on the beach.

I know Tabyana is where the cruise ship excursions go which usually is a red flag for me.

Sandfleas are always a concern. It is safe to assume the more popular beaches have less problems since they are disturbed so much and the beach clubs rake? Is there a time of year that is better/worse then other times? We will be there between Christmas and New Years.

Thank you again for taking the time to try and help us.

I find the sand fleas more about body chemistry. I have seen heaps of different reactions to the bugs all on West Bay at the same time, from pus filling pockets, to small red spots that itch like mad. Many people say they were not bitten but once they get home can not stop scratching. While some may subscribe to seasonal bugs or time of day, I am not one of them. I find the bugs to be bad all the time, I am very dilgent about my replellent.

Price being worth it, is a subjective question... is it worth it to you to know for a fact a resort is going to collect you and return you to the ship on time? As you had seen the taxi prices are not regulated, how is anyone to know what rate you will get. Do you have haggle skills? Do you enjoy haggling? Do you want to waste beach time haggling?

The beach toys are spread out along the beach so being near maybe tough though Bananarama is about the middle of West Bay. Snorkeling and the bouncy thing are steps from the Tabyana part of West Bay. Mind you, West Bay beach can be walked in about 20 min.

So... worth it to you? I have no idea. If it were me, with famiy in tow, I would choose a day pass (potties and showers) with transport included. I would not have to waste time or energy wondering were is safe (from people stepping on me) to sit on the beach. I would not have to go looking for the closest potty and wonder if they will allow me to use it or what the charge might be. If I were flying solo, I may make a much different choice.

By the by ~ Christmas and New Years are high season, the whole of West Bay accommodation maybe sold out. So, not only are you dealing with the ship guests but the island guests as well. It is also rainy season, it could be very wet or you could happen upon a sunniest day of Dec.

Guest2000 has some good very good advice. I'm not sure how many of you there are, but I find it hard to believe that you would pay $25 p/p to get to West Bay Beach. However, that being said I've never done that from a cruise so maybe that's the going rate. We often cab on Roatan and usually pay one fee for a group of us. But we are always there on land based vacations so maybe that's the difference.

I agree with Guest though, do you really want to do the haggling and the bother of getting there and back. I would either arrange transportation prior or just go with a package. George at Roatan Custom Tours or Cleve's Tours and Adventures could set you up with transportation if you're so inclined. Another thing to be aware of is yes, the beach is "public" but on cruise ship days, the beach is busy. There are places you could definitely throw down a towel but laying in the sand is not recommended due to the sand fleas. I think you'd be more comfortable having a lounger and an umbrella. Plus, those places along West Bay have some pretty good food and it's great to sit and people watch.

I also would add that we stay right next to Tabyana Beach at Infinity Bay. It's a pretty nice setup they have there at Tabyana. Sure, the chairs are crowded, but any of the resorts that sell day passes pack them in like sardines anyway. There's lots of shade, souvenir shops and places to eat towards the back area, and then the beach chairs are at the front by the beach. You can rent kayaks, snorkel gear (although I would never ever rent a snorkel). Plus the best snorkelling is right there by Tabyana. I'm not sure how it works there, not sure if you can just take a cab or if you have to go through the ship but maybe they just have a transportation/lounge chair option. Then you can eat and get drinks elsewhere. There are lots of food and drink specials along the beach.

Guest2000 has some good very good advice. I'm not sure how many of you there are, but I find it hard to believe that you would pay $25 p/p to get to West Bay Beach. However, that being said I've never done that from a cruise so maybe that's the going rate. We often cab on Roatan and usually pay one fee for a group of us. But we are always there on land based vacations so maybe that's the difference.

I agree with Guest though, do you really want to do the haggling and the bother of getting there and back. I would either arrange transportation prior or just go with a package. George at Roatan Custom Tours or Cleve's Tours and Adventures could set you up with transportation if you're so inclined. Another thing to be aware of is yes, the beach is "public" but on cruise ship days, the beach is busy. There are places you could definitely throw down a towel but laying in the sand is not recommended due to the sand fleas. I think you'd be more comfortable having a lounger and an umbrella. Plus, those places along West Bay have some pretty good food and it's great to sit and people watch.

I also would add that we stay right next to Tabyana Beach at Infinity Bay. It's a pretty nice setup they have there at Tabyana. Sure, the chairs are crowded, but any of the resorts that sell day passes pack them in like sardines anyway. There's lots of shade, souvenir shops and places to eat towards the back area, and then the beach chairs are at the front by the beach. You can rent kayaks, snorkel gear (although I would never ever rent a snorkel). Plus the best snorkelling is right there by Tabyana. I'm not sure how it works there, not sure if you can just take a cab or if you have to go through the ship but maybe they just have a transportation/lounge chair option. Then you can eat and get drinks elsewhere. There are lots of food and drink specials along the beach.

The day pass I was looking at is infinity bay. They do not include transportation but said they could help set it up and it would be about $20-$25 per person.

It looks like a beautiful area and I know we would enjoy it. But it all adds up fast ($320 for a beach day that doesn't include any food, drink, or activities)

I will continue to look at other beach clubs and activities. If this is the going rate then I think Infinity Bay is the best option.

Thanks again for the advice.

The day pass I was looking at is infinity bay. They do not include transportation but said they could help set it up and it would be about $20-$25 per person.

It looks like a beautiful area and I know we would enjoy it. But it all adds up fast ($320 for a beach day that doesn't include any food, drink, or activities)

I will continue to look at other beach clubs and activities. If this is the going rate then I think Infinity Bay is the best option.

Thanks again for the advice.

Have you looked at Banarama? Their prices maybe be better because transport is included. Beacher's and Paradise Beach Club also offer day passes. As I remember, at one point and perhaps still, Infinity was the most expensive day pass on the beach.

All of these places are on West Bay Beach with Infinity being the closest to the easy access reef.

There are no crowds like Cruise crowds