rental car in Greek Islands and ports

oklahomacruiseaddict

I couldn't find much info before I went so I am posting this to help others. On a Greek Islands cruise we rented cars at the following ports: Mykonos, Santorini, and Volos. FYI-at both Santorini and Volos I was asked for my international drivers license which I had easily obtained for $20 at my local AAA office. All three rentals were reserved in advance. I wouldn't rent again at Mykonos. We went to the beach and ran into problems both navigating the island and parking. It would have been much more convenient to take the bus. Also, ships do not know for certain whether they will port or run tenders until the morning of arrival so it is difficult to reserve at a convenient location in advance. In Santorini there is a Hertz in Fira a couple of blocks from where the gondola drops off. We drove to Oia and had no serious problems navigating or parking. We had plans to drive to the black and/or red beach but Oia was so beautiful we just stayed there. In Volos we rented from Hertz which is very conveniently located just outside the port. With just a few directions and a map from the rental car agent, we drove to Meteora which was almost all highway. This was the only place where cars were sold out and I was glad I had reserved. Unlimited mileage was not included and Meteora was two hours away so there was a pretty high extra mileage charge added on but it was still much cheaper than any of the excursions and tours and well worth it. I reserved all manual transmission cars but was given an automatic in Mykonos. I don't know about the availability of automatics at the other two locations

Cannot comment on those islands. Two years ago we paid E25 per day for car rentals on each of Sifnos, Naxos, and Paros. Two were local, one was an Avis franchise. No mileage charge. All three were walk in prices. This seemed to be the going rate. We paid considerably less for a week long rental on Crete and for a 10 day rental from Athens. All were standard transmissions, which we prefer.

Edited by iancal

We have rented for a cruise in Corfu, Santorini and Katakolon with no issues, but we booked ahead. Generally we rent longer through a broker like auto Europe for Crete, Skiathos, keffalinia, Zakynthos.

We too are comfortable with a manual. Last time in Crete the attendant filled our diesel with gas, we were very glad we had the broker on our side and all was well.

The main highways in Crete are two lane but the locals treat them as four lane by driving in the shoulders. Once you understand it all works!