Transportation question for Seattle Residents

Hi! If anyone here is from Seattle, I would like to ask if you could tell me if it is efficient to travel from the Seattle Airport on the monorail/train to the Princess Cruise port, or if it is better to take a taxi. We have tried to read about it, but since you live there, you would be more familiar with the reality of traffic patterns on Sunday mornings. We arrive at 8:45 am on the morning of the cruise: September 4th, and were hoping to see the Space Needle and maybe a little of the Pike Market or Public Market before boarding the Ruby Princess.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Cathy

Edited by calisilent

There are several ways to answer this question.

The monorail doesn't go to the airport - it's a private tourist attraction that goes from north-central downtown to the Space Needle. Let's set that aside for the moment.

Thousands of people a day use the light rail from the airport to Westlake Station. It's a 45 minute ride, the timing is virtually guaranteed and it's cheap. You'll get off four blocks from the Pike Place Market or literally downstairs from the monorail. So yes, it's realistic to visit either or both via light rail directly from the airport.

The issue becomes luggage. Pike Place Market is crowded on Sunday mornings and the streets are cobbled. There isn't convenient luggage storage at the Market.

What I would do in your case is take the light rail downtown, then send one member of your party to Pier 91 by UberX/Lyft/cab to check in your checked bags and either store or check any hand baggage (luggage storage is near the drop point for checked bags), then meet you back at either the Market or the Needle. This will give you several hours to explore and then you'll have a short ride from either area to the pier.

How many people and how much luggage? And can you easily manage your luggage to the Rail Station?

Light Rail is great but it's a 7-10 minute walk from baggage claim to the Station. You're basically walking thru the parking garage, so it's covered and flat but it's a long walk if you can't easily manage your luggage. I've never had a problem but I then again I never travel with more than 1 suitcase.

If Light Rail isn't an option, take a cab, car service or whatever, directly to the pier. If you're too early to check your luggage onto the ship,use the Left Luggage service for $3 a bag at the pier. When you're ready call for another car to take all of you to the Market.... (10 minutes, about $20 if you use the taxi line) .

http://www.portseattle.org/Cruise/Services/Pages/default.aspx

We arrive at 8:45 am on the morning of the cruise: September 4th, and were hoping to see the Space Needle and maybe a little of the Pike Market or Public Market before boarding the Ruby Princess.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Cathy

If you want to do it the way that will give you the most free time to see the downtown Seattle area, I'd say that you might think about catching a cab from the airport to Pier 91 (make sure you tell the cab driver that pier number or he might drop you at Pier 66 downtown!) have the cab wait for you while you drop your bags off at the concierge (small single door on the Holland side of the main doors in the middle of the building numbered with a large 2 and 3), hop back in the cab and have him take you back to the Pike Place Market area so you can explore the area. Oh, the baggage storage fee is $3/bag, cash only. If you have any questions for the Concierge at the pier, the number I have for him is (206) 441-6666.

Depending on how much time you have after your exploration and how much you enjoy walking, since your bags are already at the pier you might want to walk back to Pier 91 to build up an appetite for the food on the ship! ;) From Pike Place Market to Pier 91 is 2.9 miles and there is a walking/bike trail that you can take. You can probably find a good map of the bike trail by googling "pier 91 bike trail" or some such. Be sure to get back to the pier by 2:30 or 3pm at the latest so you won't feel rushed, or worse late, getting back! :(

That should give you some ideas on what to do.

Tom