NCL Escape Kids Club / Autism

hunterjackson

Hey Guys,

We have traveled on the Jewel and Star with our children.

At the time of sailing we will have a DS (6 yrs) and DD (4 yrs) who have non-verbal (at this time) autism.

We had great luck on the Jewel with the kids club. They never stayed long, maybe an hour or so, but always wanted to go back...

On the Star, not so much. The crew didn't seem too interested in them and didn't really play with or engage them.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with the Escape and how the Kids club is on there with special needs little ones.

They both do great in school...not social at all just hang out on their own. Just need someone to keep an eye on them and make sure they are happy for about an hour or so here and there.

Thanks in Advance!!!

Have you looked into "Autism at Sea"? There is a group that totally works with kids with this disability/affliction....they really know what they're doing! Check on the "Sailing with Handicaps" board....seems to be an awesome experience.

Just as an FYI -

While I agree with CB to look at "Autism on the Sea", I recently found out that they are really just a travel agent / group booking company.

Much like when you see a college alumni group on board and the company which arranged it provides extra staff.

That is what Autism on the Seas does. Depending on your children's needs and requirements this could be helpful, but the only way they provide additional assistance is on one of their group cruises or if you book through them.

RCCL and Celebrity are the only lines I've seen so far which are specifically "Autism Friendly" for example on Celebrity - they wave the diaper requirement with the kids club and they also help with express checkin - and this is all on your own

I suggest you may want to reach out to NCLs special needs department to see what if anything can be arranged ahead of time and if they have anything specifc

We sailed on the Escape in January, while I don't have experience with Autism specifically, the kids club staff was amazing, I cannot imagine they wouldnt be well versed and able to accommodate your children. They made a huge effort to give each child special attention and make them feel special. I couldn't speak more highly of the staff on that ship.

We sailed on the Escape in January, while I don't have experience with Autism specifically, the kids club staff was amazing, I cannot imagine they wouldnt be well versed and able to accommodate your children. They made a huge effort to give each child special attention and make them feel special. I couldn't speak more highly of the staff on that ship.

Thank you! Thats what we are looking for! People who want to be there.

On the Jewel, we had the best people. I can not go on about them enough. We were in port in Victoria, BC , several of them were off the ship and had the day off...and they yelled out for us and took my son to feed the sea lions while we ate. During their off time, the demanded that we have a quiet lunch and take the kids away. Couldn't believe it.

On the star...well, they could care less.

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
Just as an FYI -

While I agree with CB to look at "Autism on the Sea", I recently found out that they are really just a travel agent / group booking company.

Much like when you see a college alumni group on board and the company which arranged it provides extra staff.

That is what Autism on the Seas does. Depending on your children's needs and requirements this could be helpful, but the only way they provide additional assistance is on one of their group cruises or if you book through them.

RCCL and Celebrity are the only lines I've seen so far which are specifically "Autism Friendly" for example on Celebrity - they wave the diaper requirement with the kids club and they also help with express checkin - and this is all on your own

I suggest you may want to reach out to NCLs special needs department to see what if anything can be arranged ahead of time and if they have anything specifc

Actually if you cruise on a staffed Autism on the seas cruise they are much more than a travel agency. On the staffed cruises I used their respite instead of the kids club and they are much more prepared to deal with the ins and outs of autism and other disabilities. They are all employed in the special needs field i.e. On our cruise we had a few Special Ed teachers, an OT and someone finishing up their BCBA. Also my son was six and not potty trained and they handled that.

They also helped us on embarkation, at the muster drill, meal time and on excursions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app