Pacific Pearl docked at Overseas Passenger Terminal Sydney for VIVID Light festival

Somewhat of an oddity it is to see a P&O Australia cruise ship docked at the Sydney OPT - but she is there as part of the VIVID Light & Sound festival. According to P&O's Facebook rep, Pacific Pearl will be at the OPT tonight and tomorrow night and will be lit up.

Webcam (controllable): http://www.captiveye-therocks.com/camera_ds/camera.htm

VIVID website: http://vividsydney.com/

946918_10151614281381187_1393569340_n.jpg

Just noticed on Chanel Nine news background scene (and confirmed on the YHA webcam) that the Pacific Pearl which is berthed at the OPT today has been docked with her stern pointing in toward Circular Quay. There was no ship in at White Elephant Bay either so a bit of a mystery. Curious to know why if anyone has any idea/knowledge.

Only thing I could think of is that maybe P&O thought that she has grown a lot bigger like the Voyager or the Solstice:D:D:D

Pacific Pearl is part of the VIVID light show tonight and tomorrow according to P&O.

I posted earlier, so it might be wise for a moderator to either merge that here, or merge this to mine. :)

Unfortunately it seems only the one side of Pacific Pearl is being projected with lights, not both.

Here's the Press Release from P&O Cruises Australia

An unusual two-night stay in Sydney on a cruise itinerary planned more than two years ago has led to P&O Cruises’ superliner Pacific Pearl becoming the canvas for a spectacular Vivid Sydney light and sound display – the first time a cruise ship has been part of the festival.

Timed perfectly for the start of the festival of light, music and ideas - Pacific Pearl will come alive with the P&O Cruises’ ‘See Voyage’ taking excited viewers on a virtual cruise.

Close to 2000 New Zealand visitors whose Pacific Pearl cruise to Australia started in Auckland on May 21 will have a front row viewing platform of Vivid Sydney on May 24-25.

“It’s unusual for a P&O Cruises’ ship to have an overnight transit call at the Overseas Passenger Terminal on a cruise itinerary that was determined up to two years ago,” said Tammy Marshall, Senior Vice President P&O Cruises.

“To have Pacific Pearl at Circular Quay on the first two nights of Vivid Sydney and to be able to project images of the sea and the islands on her side in an extravaganza of light and sound, was an opportunity that was just too good to miss.”

On both nights of Pearl’s transit call, the P&O Cruises’ ‘See Voyage’ five-minute presentation will run every 30 minutes from 6pm – midnight with the Sydney Opera House and its vicinity the best viewing spot to take in the eclectic display.

The colourful fast moving show captures Vivid Sydney’s festival of creativity, enjoyment and escapism, which are also part and parcel of cruising to the Pacific Islands to visit some of the world’s most beautiful destinations.

“Pacific Pearl’s passengers are in for a very special treat as their superliner becomes one of the many Vivid Sydney installations around the world’s most spectacular harbour,” Ms Marshall said.

“In addition to taking in the Vivid sights and sounds, for two nights they will have all the time needed to fan out and enjoy the dining, shopping and touring opportunities that Sydney has to offer.

“To have Pacific Pearl’s two-night transit call to Sydney coincide with Vivid is pure serendipity and we couldn’t be more excited at this chance to present wonderful images of the islands and maritime themes.”

Here's the view from the Pacific Pearl web cam:

ShowImage.aspx?i=205887

ShowImage.aspx?i=205921

Pacific Pearl at ShipWatcher

I am finding these photos a little confusing???:confused:

In Marquisite's photo, the ship is docked bow toward the city and appears to be the Jewel not the Pearl (see the coke bottle funnel). In Kiwi Cruiser's photo it is definitely the Pearl and she is docked stern in.

I wonder if the original photo was from last year's celebrations. What do you guys think.

Looks beautiful though :)

I am finding these photos a little confusing???:confused:

In Marquisite's photo, the ship is docked bow toward the city and appears to be the Jewel not the Pearl (see the coke bottle funnel). In Kiwi Cruiser's photo it is definitely the Pearl and she is docked stern in.

I wonder if the original photo was from last year's celebrations. What do you guys think.

This photo is the Pacific Dawn from 2007. (Which is the photo P&O posted on there Facebook page early on in the week)

946918_10151614281381187_1393569340_n.jpg

OK So the Pearl is there for the light show......but why does it need to be in stern first? It's the same shape and colour on both sides isn't it?

C'mon, you work there, don't you? :) The opera house projectors are mounted on the OPT building (have a squiz from the House side, if you get to visit VIVIDlive). Hence stern in, so the Pearl's bow doesn't block the light show.

Also, to allow for these! Main reason she was there, IMO.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369531090.862590.jpg.17335d6919fb643fedee5506b6a31816.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369531214.169088.jpg.c0eb9f84ce9d06c8dd35f15df9e87a21.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369531067.858333.jpg.93def33515a476ebdfff28d790457071.jpg

C'mon, you work there, don't you? :) The opera house projectors are mounted on the OPT building (have a squiz from the House side, if you get to visit VIVIDlive). Hence stern in, so the Pearl's bow doesn't block the light show.

Also, to allow for these! Main reason she was there, IMO.

[ATTACH]272594[/ATTACH][ATTACH]272595[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]272596[/ATTACH]

Does anyone else think the Pearl looks good with the P&O logo lit up on the funnel like that (second pic)?

Archived